✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
oooh I see

Well in the apostolic church it's kinda like this.

Bishop=
  • typically 50 years of age
  • baptized in JESUS name and filled with holy ghost
  • has walked for God for a considerable period of time
  • Has to be living the gospel
  • must have integrity

Deacon=
  • no specific period of time walking with God.
  • selected by pastor
  • usually tends to be 25+ age wise
  • must know/learn how to deal with finances
  • must be obedient to the leader
  • Usually functions also as a guide for the pastor
  • baptized in JESUS name and filled with holy ghost
  • living the gospel
Pastor
  • Usually 10 years or more of walking with God (being a pastor isn't just something you can do right away) (I say usually becuase there can always be exceptions, some grow very fast, but in most cases it's 10+ years)
  • in most cases assistant pastor before being selected as pastor (unless god has led an individual to start his own church from the ground up)
  • age is typically 27 and up (a pastor must know how to manage a house/finances and such to assist others in that matter)
  • Selected by former pastor/leader
  • Has to display integrity
  • has to have a knowledge of the scripture
  • Has to understand how the church functions
  • Baptized in JESUS name and filled with holy ghost
  • living the gospel
  • powerful prayer life

Yeah that's kind of how apostolics do it, I know it may be different somewhat with pentecostals but ye mostly the same, any other questions about other positions or anything can ask but yeah.

These qualifications come surprisingly close to Orthodox ones. So whereas for example one could hypothetically have a 30 something bishop, most of our bishops are older.

Upvote 0

Orthodoxjay1

Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is it the exact same between Eastern Orthodoxy, and the Oriental Orthodox Churches? Also as I understand what been told to me, while not demanding it per se that it is perfected that Priests marry before Ordination, as a priest would be, at times, advising married couples

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Is it the exact same between Eastern Orthodoxy, and the Oriental Orthodox Churches?

As far as I am aware, yes, because both churches reference in their nomocanons the Apostolic Canons.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We are also listing the requirements for pastoral candidates in the United States and other first world nations. I do know that outside of the US, a candidate might not have the rigorous academic training that we have. For example, I knew a couple Coptic priests who were ordained but were studying for their M.Div.

• Informative
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is true. When the fighting in Sudan was very bad, we had a number of Sudanese deacons and priests arrive in my diocese as refugees. It was awkward because while we recognised their orders as valid, their level of education was roughly equivalent to about our year 9 (fourth year of high school), and there was no way we could put them into ministry positions here without significant further training.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
We are also listing the requirements for pastoral candidates in the United States and other first world nations. I do know that outside of the US, a candidate might not have the rigorous academic training that we have. For example, I knew a couple Coptic priests who were ordained but were studying for their M.Div.

Most Coptic clergy do not have a seminary education; they instead have degrees in finance or engineering. This has become a problem in the diaspora. However, all Coptic clergy are trained in liturgics at the monasteries.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There's a Coptic seminary in my city. It has an impressive range of academic offerings, including on liturgy (see here: Units – St Athanasius College ). I am not clear, though, what relationship it might have to a monastery; I think there are a couple of monasteries in the diocese (one for men and one for women) but I can't see anything indicating a link between them and the seminary.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
In the US, I believe the Copts go to one of the Orthodox seminaries. Holy Cross, the Greek seminary, always had 7 or 8 Coptic students. They worked with one of the nearby Coptic churches for liturgics.

Some go to SVS also.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Looking again at the list of units, I suspect that the students at the seminary I linked to probably do some units at other colleges - perhaps the Catholics for preference, there's no EO college in this city - as there seem to be some gaps, particularly in the systematic theology curriculum. But it's also possible that they offer some units in alternating years or the like.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, the educational requirements are a bachelors degree, and masters of divinity degree from one of the two synodical seminaries, including a third year (of four) vicarage at a local congregation where they participate as an assistant pastor, including preaching and assisting in administering the sacraments under the close supervision of the local pastor.

Alternatively, there is a more individualized colloquy program, a fast-track for men that do not fit the normal profile who want to become pastors in the LCMS, such as graduates from other Lutheran seminaries, ordained pastors from other synods, other traditions or denominations, or deacons in the LCMS that wish to advance to pastor.

Doctorates are available for those who wish to continue their education after MDiv.

Only men are eligible for the ministry, the vast majority are married, and there are all the stipulations and morality clauses one would expect. Single pastors are required to be celebate, but may pursue marriage if they desire. Theoretically, a former homosexual who has repented of that lifestyle and has either married (a woman of course) or who is celebate would not be excluded from the ministry strictly for that reason, as long as they remained repentant. Same with any other gross or public sinful activity.

Additionally, all rostered pastors in the LCMS are required to affirm a complete and unqualified subscription to the confessions of the Lutheran church as contained in the Book of Concord.

• Informative
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
These qualifications come surprisingly close to Orthodox ones. So whereas for example one could hypothetically have a 30 something bishop, most of our bishops are older.
Well- except for the whole Trinity denying thing they have going on...

• Informative
Upvote 0