Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Of course. Marriage after ordination is never permitted with priests or bishops, unless they step down from the episcopacy.

Oh you know I forgot to mention that in my OP.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟564,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
In the States, most of the Anglican jurisdictions set the minimum age of a bishop at 35. Obviously, married bishops are common. The question of whether a divorced and remarried man is suitable for ordination is a hot-button. For example, jurisdictions like the ACC have a hard ban but others do not. Obviously, standards in TEC are low.

As for education: seminary is typically expected but a few jurisdictions still practice 'reading for orders.' In that mode of training, the bishop selects a list of texts that the postulant should read and be able to make some synopsis of. Also variable is how much education is expected. Some bishops are content with a Bachelor's in Sacred Theology or Biblical Studies and others are set on the Master's, typically in Divinity.

As for the psychological screening, in the post RCC child abuse scandals world I think it is a standard practice in the States in any church that remotely 'looks Catholic.' My experience with it was that it is mainly an exercise in ferreting out addicts, molesters, and gays. There was also an element of having the aspirant explain his notion of a calling.

Upvote 0

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
PCA:
  1. Seminary Degree
  2. 1 year pastoral internship in a PCA church along with certain internship requirements
    1. Mentorship with a pastor/elder
    2. preacing/teaching experience
    3. various other projects
  3. 6 examinations on the floor of Presbytery
    1. Life and morals
    2. Bible
    3. Theology
    4. Book of Church Order
    5. Church History
    6. Sacraments
  4. Receiving a call from a church (job offer)
  5. Ordination! (Ding, Ding, Ding)

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It might well prove at least moderately interesting to compare, discuss and debate the qualifications for ordination of respective denominations.

is this focusing on bishops or?

Is this focusing on like lead positions like a bishop or priest or?

Upvote 0

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
By the way...

In the PCA we hold to a two (sometimes three!) office view. Our basic position is that there are two offices to which men can be ordained in the church - elder and deacon. We view the biblical terms elder, pastor, and bishop as synonymous.

But we do distinguish between teaching elders and ruling elders. Teaching elders are ordained elders who focus on preaching and teaching. These are ordained at a Presbytery level and we require them to have a seminary degree and the other things mentioned above. Teaching elders are not members of local churches. Rather they are members of the Presbytery and are employed by local churches.

Ruling elders are ordained at a local church level and are members of their local churches. They do teach but they often are not employed by the church as so don't spend most of their times preaching and teaching. Their primary task is to shepherd and govern the church. Most all ruling elders serve in a volunteer capacity. We do not require these men to have a degree or undergo an internship. Ruling elders just gotta be godly men who know the bible and love God and people.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not necessarily.
oooh I see

Well in the apostolic church it's kinda like this.

Bishop=
  • typically 50 years of age
  • baptized in JESUS name and filled with holy ghost
  • has walked for God for a considerable period of time
  • Has to be living the gospel
  • must have integrity

Deacon=
  • no specific period of time walking with God.
  • selected by pastor
  • usually tends to be 25+ age wise
  • must know/learn how to deal with finances
  • must be obedient to the leader
  • Usually functions also as a guide for the pastor
  • baptized in JESUS name and filled with holy ghost
  • living the gospel
Pastor
  • Usually 10 years or more of walking with God (being a pastor isn't just something you can do right away) (I say usually becuase there can always be exceptions, some grow very fast, but in most cases it's 10+ years)
  • in most cases assistant pastor before being selected as pastor (unless god has led an individual to start his own church from the ground up)
  • age is typically 27 and up (a pastor must know how to manage a house/finances and such to assist others in that matter)
  • Selected by former pastor/leader
  • Has to display integrity
  • has to have a knowledge of the scripture
  • Has to understand how the church functions
  • Baptized in JESUS name and filled with holy ghost
  • living the gospel
  • powerful prayer life

Yeah that's kind of how apostolics do it, I know it may be different somewhat with pentecostals but ye mostly the same, any other questions about other positions or anything can ask but yeah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Timothy 3:1-7 The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. (2) Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, (3) not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. (4) He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, (5) for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church? (6) He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil. (7) Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.

It amazing to me to see how little to no Biblical references are here in this forum regarding this topic question.

But that seems par for the course on this website. Not many here hold the Bible as the ultimate authority.

• Agree
Reactions: 2Timothy2:15
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1 Timothy 3:1-7 The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. (2) Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, (3) not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. (4) He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, (5) for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church? (6) He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil. (7) Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.

It amazing to me to see how little to no Biblical references are here in this forum regarding this topic question.

But that seems par for the course on this website. Not many here hold the Bible as the ultimate authority.

He asked about what the denomination does specifically it's easier to simply just list that.

If you want to utilize a bible for this question and look for multiple scriptures go ahead. But it wasn't a question that really required that. All you had to do was list how your church typically selects leaders.

Additionally many of the points tie in with the scripture you listed. In fact many of the guidelines churches have are based off their view of scripture. Read them carefully.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerrygab2
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He asked about what the denomination does specifically it's easier to simply just list that.

If you want to utilize a bible for this question and look for multiple scriptures go ahead. But it wasn't a question that really required that. All you had to do was list how your church typically selects leaders.

Additionally many of the points ty in with the scripture you listed.

I gave what qualifies a Pastor and Elder, in response to the question. That is how my church selects a Pastor and Elders.

And from many of the posts, I see others adding requirements beyond what scripture specifies, and that is not a safe path to be on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I gave what qualifies a Pastor and Elder, in response to the question. That is how my church selects a Pastor and Elders.

And from many of the posts, I see others adding requirements beyond what scripture specifies, and that is not a safe path to be on.

No you gave what qualifies for a pastor/elder (I agree with the scripture i've read it before) while at the same time critiquing other responses.

I'm not saying you have to agree with them all, I personally don't agree with all of them either and I feel a lot have extra stuff to them, but if you don't agree simply list yours and maybe someone can learn from what you had to say.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No you gave what qualifies for a pastor/elder (I agree with the scripture i've read it before) while at the same time critiquing other responses.

Isn't that the topic of the original post? Or are you concerned with me pointing out how others don't refer to scripture?

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Isn't that the topic of the original post? Or are you concerned with me pointing out how others don't refer to scripture?

No i was talking about the critique portion.

I mean if you want you can critique i'm not gonna stop you but maybe point out the specific problems you find in some of the guidelines. I'm not saying you're wrong that there aren't any at all but yeah rather then just say everyone doesn't live off a bible or whatever point out what you see.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No i was talking about the critique portion.

I mean if you want you can critique i'm not gonna stop you but maybe point out the specific problems you find in some of the guidelines. I'm not saying you're wrong that there aren't any at all but yeah rather then just say everyone doesn't live off a bible or whatever point out what you see.

I am not a Post Modernist. Please feel free to tell me I am wrong, it's ok. I don't believe in the myth that it is so evil to tell someone that they are wrong.

If it comes to a matter of preference, then people can simply disagree, that's ok. We (in a generic sense) are not going have perfectly matched viewpoints.

I think my original point was I simply did not see any previous posts that referred to a Biblical reference for qualification of Pastors and Elders in their respective denominations. That is all I was trying to say.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am not a Post Modernist. Please feel free to tell me I am wrong, it's ok. I don't believe in the myth that it is so evil to tell someone that they are wrong.

If it comes to a matter of preference, then people can simply disagree, that's ok. We (in a generic sense) are not going have perfectly matched viewpoints.

I think my original point was I simply did not see any previous posts that referred to a Biblical reference for qualification of Pastors and Elders in their respective denominations. That is all I was trying to say.

Please feel free to tell me I am wrong, it's ok. I don't believe in the myth that it is so evil to tell someone that they are wrong.

My Response: I don't believe it's wrong either. And uh... i'm not a post modernist too I guess. THe scripture says that this doctrine comes with correction.

"It amazing to me to see how little to no Biblical references are here in this forum regarding this topic question.

But that seems par for the course on this website. Not many here hold the Bible as the ultimate authority."

My Response: the problem was the last sentence of your statement, it kind of comes off as something else. I see what you meant to say now though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i'm not a post modernist too I guess.

That is good to read.

Just a side note, I was not intending you in that, since I really don't know you or where you stand on things. Perhaps we know a little bit more about each other now, although certainly not exhaustively.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
(6) He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil. (7) Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.
Hmm.

St. Peter was a fisherman. Fishermen were not especially well-regarded back in ancient times. Really, a step away from the (unfair but still common) view many people have of garbagemen and janitors today. St. Matthew was a tax collector. I would assume you are familiar with their reputation back in ancient times. St. Paul was feared by many Christians when he first started out.

Also, none of them had been believers for very long before they began teaching. If the Church was born on Pentecost, the apostles had only been Christians for a very small amount of time before they assumed leadership positions in the Church. But even if one considers their time with Our Lord during His ministry to be part of their religious formation (which would be an interesting argument inasmuch as a lot of Our Lord's words recorded in Sacred Scripture were addressed to the general public or to existing religious authorities of that time), it doesn't add very much to their time as converts.

Here's where I'm going with all that. Can you honestly say the apostles fit the above criteria which you copied from Sacred Scripture?

As a Catholic, I have a very easy explanation for the above self-evident contradiction. But if scripture be our sole authority, well, you've got your work cut out for you in justifying all that.

• Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

You'll find a variety of views on the place of Scripture in the Christian life. My Church views Scripture as infallible, and as the top level of authority, but we do not limit Scripture to be the only source of God's Word.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith