Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
countrymousenc said:
Good point. Or mice, spiders, ants...

Here's my take: We were created (in part) to be in charge of and take care of this world, and the animals are under human jurisdiction. Therefore, to end a pet's life out of kindness, out of pity for the suffering pet, is within our realm of authority. However, to euthanize humans just because they are sick or old is not within our rights - that amounts to playing God.

Can we say that those involved in the pest extermination business are murderers?

Would I think twice of stepping on a black widow spider like I did two days ago especially after being bitten by one and almost dying? No.

Upvote 0

Wiffey

He is my refuge and my fortress...
Oct 27, 2004
✟18,913.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wish I had the discipline to be a vegetarian. Just that all those comfort-food ethnic dishes of my childhood ( ropa vieja, brisket, BBQ, chicken-fried steak, pollo asado etc.) all are meat-focused and I cannot imagine never having those things again. Pure weakness on my part... Now that I am Orthodox I eat a LOT less meat, so it is a step in the right direction. I am slowly incorporating more vegetarian dishes into my repertoire. My husband was vegetarian for 8 years. Maybe when my daughter is older we will give it a go. For me, I know that if I don't make the transition gradually and allow myself a few old favorites every year, I'll never make it. I've grown too comfortable being at the top of the food chain...

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wiffey said:
I've grown too comfortable being at the top of the food chain...

Is there anything wrong with being at the top of the food chain? God did give us dominion over the animals. Adam named the animals, which gave him dominion over them! Abusing a dog/cat/rabbit/hamster/guinea pig (I am trying to be inclusive here) by putting it to sleep when it is not in any poor health or something of that degree is very much different than raising chicken, fish or cattle for dietary purposes.

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2004
✟1,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about another scenario...

When I was a kid we had a great dog, Rusty. One day friends were over, and some neighbor dogs wandered thru our property. Our dog and another dog got into a fight (female in heat was present). Our friend's small son tried to break up the fight. His face was bitten, had a gash clear thru & down his cheek.

Friends sued our insurance company and because only our dog was known, our dog was blamed. He had to be put down (required by insurance co. I think). My dad chose to do it himself and bury our dog vs handing him over to a vet.

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2004
✟1,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
xenia said:
Capital punishment for murderous dogs is a no-brainer, but in poor Rusty's case, it sounds like an execution of convenience.
Yeah...some poor dog had to pay. Our friends couldn't understand why we were so upset about being sued...it was just our insurance paying.

Their son did need multiple surgeries, and now as a parent I can understand better their mourning. But it seemed the scar became a defining issue for them for a long time. My son had a cleft lip at birth (I did too). We have matching scars. :) I try not to let it define us.

LOL, I've wandered off-topic. How's that for a rabbit-trail!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.