Putting an old pet to sleep and putting grand dad to sleep?

Should elderly people be euthanased to show care for dignity?

• Yes for care, with consent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes for care, with no consent

• Yes for care being condescending on their will to live

• Yes for monetary savings

• No, for care and cherishing of their lives and every moment

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No, to honour them

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No, to give a fatal shot is undignified

• No, if they are in pain... it does not matter

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,303.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I would like to ask what people see is the difference if any between putting an aged pet cat to sleep before it suffers death and putting an advanced geriatric condition gran or gramps to sleep with ketamine?

We all accept our power to kill animals properly, but does it apply to people too? We will put an animal out of misery if it is badly ill. A strong dose of ketamine and it passes from pain. But if our elderly grandparents are suffering or are demented should they be euthanased like pets? Considering, having their consent, not having it or if they really don't want to leave this life?

Do we express care for people as for animals?

Should even animals be treated better?

Tinyarch

Oct 15, 2016
Sarasota
✟16,452.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It depends on if you believe humans have a spirit and God commands us not to murder another human?

If you're an atheist and all matter is equal, then your scenario would fit in such a worldview.

Of course your view opens up the opportunity for social darwinism and the genocide of millions, but it would fit nicely in an atheist worldview.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
God is the giver of Life. And all human life has the dignity of being created in His image.

We do not have the right to decide when to end human life.

There is no need to insist on suffering. Any easing of pain that can be given, that the person wants, should be allowed.

As for myself, I would hope to have the strength to be able to bear whatever pain might be necessary in order to have whatever faculties I might still possess in order to prepare for death.

But we don't have the right to decide.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
It depends on if you believe humans have a spirit and God commands us not to murder another human?

Is it really murder though if the person wants to die? We don't refer to accidental killings or self-defense as murder, so what about consensual killing if we're just essentially postponing death with medicine?

If a person goes to the doctor and finds out they have inoperable brain cancer, are they committing suicide if they decide they'd rather have a year of health and happiness instead of trying chemo therapy or some other non-guaranteed treatment that would just make them sicker with the time they have?

My personal opinion is that euthanasia is ethical if the person and consents to it is in a healthy and coherent mental state, and there are no other options available other than to just ease their pain and suffering.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

If you're an atheist and all matter is equal, then your scenario would fit in such a worldview.

Of course your view opens up the opportunity for social darwinism and the genocide of millions, but it would fit nicely in an atheist worldview.

There seems to me to be something paradoxical in this point of view.

For those who believe that there is a life hereafter of everlasting bliss it is considered a grave sin to release them from this present life even when elderly, frail, senile.

For those who believe there is no life hereafter and this life is all we will ever have it is expected they will easily, casually take the life of someone who is frail, elderly, and no longer able to "enjoy life".

Logically, one would think that in each case the opposite would actually be what one would observe. So someone please explain this to me.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To be fair, I think the comparison is not quite apt. A dog is incapable of using human language to express an opinion of desire regarding its own ceasing to be a living dog. The dog's owner makes that decision, knowing that it is beyond the dog to do so.

In the case of a sick human, that is often not the case. Even in the case of a mentally ill or otherwise mentally damaged or nonfunctioning human, that person may have expressed desires in the past.

Edit: I guess we don't KNOW that the dog is incapable of thinking such things. Dogs do often crawl off to die, so it seems they know when death is near, and since they do prefer or fear things they can anticipate, it's not impossible that they have a feeling about the matter. However, to my knowledge, dogs can't communicate this to humans in an unambiguous way.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is enjoyment of life the determinant between keep living or die?
"Suffering" is usually the key factor, and suffering is not mere "lack of enjoyment". You can volunteer at any oncology ward as a hospital visitor for appropriate insight.

Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well what would be the point of trusting, having faith....etc in God if you just kill yourself/have someone kill you? To let this happen would tell God "Sorry God, I love you but I am going out on my own terms!".

Actually heres a better question.... what do you do with someone whos in a coma and has 0% chance of coming out of it? I seen someone who kept their spouse in a coma state for almost 10 years. Is it a sin to pull the plug or ok?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We are not under moral obligation to take extreme measures to extend life if it is ending. To fail to do so, and a person dies naturally, is not a sin.

However, I wouldn't classify something like providing nourishment and fluids as "extreme measures".

A forced breathing machine could be.

• Winner
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just going to put it out there... there is a difference between euthanasia and medically assisted suicide that the poll appears not to take into account.

I read medical people and sometimes even ethicists fail to make that discernment, which troubles me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have seen someone close to me on a ventilator for about a week. It was 100% awful, beyond what I could have imagined. Since this person survived, it "came out" all right in the end. However, I got a tiny glimpse of the horror people must go through when their loved ones' bodies are being kept alive by extreme measures when there is no medical hope (that was not the case here).

My opinion is that withdrawal of care should be an option in these instances.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are not under moral obligation to take extreme measures to extend life if it is ending. To fail to do so, and a person dies naturally, is not a sin.

However, I wouldn't classify something like providing nourishment and fluids as "extreme measures".

A forced breathing machine could be.

My mother suffered multiple brain hemorrhages in an automobile accident in 2001 which put her into a coma. Initially, she was on a breathing machine, without which she would have died...rather, I'd say in hindsight, her body would have died.

I was the legal decision maker, but the doctors never actually put the matter into explicit terms of "there is nothing more to be done but to take her off life support, her sisters (my aunts) would have had nothing to do with that, and I don't think it was legal in Oklahoma anyway. At any rate, removing her from life support at what was then a week or so from the accident was not under consideration.

The body heals itself as best as it can. After a couple more weeks, her brain healed itself well enough to recover autonomic functions--she could be taken off life support, but was otherwise unresponsive and had no frontal lobe activity. According to the doctors, "Her frontal lobes are nothing but scar tissue."

My mother's body survived under the tender care of one of my aunts for another eight years. During that time, her care was essentially that of a newborn baby, although she continued to be completely unresponsive, except for autonomic activity--poke her with a needle, and her arm would finch.

Two of my aunts were convinced she was still conscious in there. But my mother had been an exceedingly vivacious, outgoing, evocative woman. She had run a barbershop, primarily because she liked talking to different people coming in. When I closed down her business affairs, different suppliers around town--simple business acquaintances--men and women-- literally broke into tears hearing of her accident. If if that woman were conscious in that unresponsive body, she was in hell.

But I didn't believe her brain was active. What I was not sure of then, and not sure of now: Where was her spirit? Paul wasn't contemplating such a situation when he said, "to live is Christ and to die is gain." In Paul's time, there was no medical life support, people in that situation merely died.

When her body began to shut down in 2009, it was as much from basic old age as anything else. When she finally died, I could come to a conclusion of where her spirit then was.

If I had the ability to do it again, I'd prefer to choose that she not have been put on life support in the first place or have taken her off quickly, if the extent of brain damage could have been determined soon enough. If God intended to save her, He would, and His glory would be that much brighter having done His miracle without the aid of machines.

Once, however, her body had healed enough to continue functioning on its own, when care was no more extreme than that of a newborn, we were not going to kill her.

Lord, I don't know. Maybe her body still enjoyed the sunlight, like a plant.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A true story: A man fell, hit his head and was in a coma where they said he was brain dead. The family refused to pull the plug. A year later the man awakened and relearned how to walk and talk..... so what if?

God says, "It is appointed unto man once to die (and after that the judgment)"... who are we to shorten someone's life. And as for "assisted suicide" sorry... no way is that right. A person who is contemplating suicide is never in their right mind. Pain medications for unbearable pain? Yes indeed! Helping them end their life because it's so hard? No.

Been there.

• Winner
Upvote 0