Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When you have a regular gig, you may occasionally fantasize about quitting or even getting laid off and the freedom that would accompany it.

In lieu of getting jostled by strangers during your daily commute and being chided by your boss for the typos in your latest project report, you could take a leisurely stroll through the park and bake a batch of your favorite cookies.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/psychologists-something-scary-happens-youre-184300337.html

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was out of work for 6 months one time - so not the 1-4 years they studied. However, I will say that it totally stank. Financially we were OK, we had enough funds to last another few months. But when I started working again I did find at first I was hesitant to take risks, because I had this emotional reaction that if I was wrong I might lose my job. That was truly counterproductive, as you have to take risks in my profession, and not doing so means you can only be marginal at best. So it is understood you will be wrong at time. Intellectually I knew that, and had not had problems before, but at the start of my new job I did. All that to say, intuitively what the article says makes sense.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Yep ... Being productive is what people are born to do.

Psychologists say something scary happens when you're unemployed for a while

Results showed that agreeableness, which is similar to friendliness, decreased among both men and women during long-term unemployment (one to four years).
The study also indicated that conscientiousness, or the tendency to be orderly and motivated, decreased among unemployed men and women.
A third major effect of long-term unemployment is that openness generally decreases.

In other words, people feel bad when they're not doing anything productive. People want to contribute. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0