Federal Way, Washington
✟15,139.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In the old testament, the prophets were first called Seers, the prophets as the OT progressed gave signs of being like psychics or empaths, it presents the question .. what was the difference between Israel's Prophets and the mediums and witches of surrounding nations? I believe the answer is the Spirit indwelling them.

Now beyond the Old Testament, Jesus indwells us through the Holy Spirit, and it is said that we can partake in the sufferings of Christ, but what sufferings is Paul speaking of? I understand it to mean that Jesus suffers with all of us until time ends and the new world comes into being. There is a concept of "greater works" because we trust in Jesus, and some of those greater works may mimic things that spiritualists in the world do, in the same way the Seers of old mimicked Psychics, Mediums, and Witches .. but surpassed them with the power of the Holy Spirit.

And there inlies the point. The inner reality matters more than mere outer appearances.

I'm currently reading the Watchman Nee "Latent Power of the Soul" that Tobias in earlier posts suggested. However the Gospels say that the yoke will be something like easy because we work with Jesus. Maybe it's my age, maybe it's my illnesses, but the load is not light. I still cannot ask for prayer at my church without saying it's for something so abstract from my actual needs. The obvious is going to another church but all Protestant Churches are very much alike. To go to a charismatic church is too difficult because people openly speak in tongues. When this happens I feel the emotions the speaker is speaking but too many speak in tongues at the same time. I get a headache and my middle is pulled so much I feel that if I don't leave, I fear I will be pulled out of my body. I haven't been to one of these churches for a long time, maybe I can better deal with it now, but I'm not eager to try. Maybe having no place to rest my head is part of it.

Upvote 0

Deborah23

Oct 28, 2015
Federal Way, Washington
✟15,139.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In the old testament, the prophets were first called Seers, the prophets as the OT progressed gave signs of being like psychics or empaths, it presents the question .. what was the difference between Israel's Prophets and the mediums and witches of surrounding nations? I believe the answer is the Spirit indwelling them.

Now beyond the Old Testament, Jesus indwells us through the Holy Spirit, and it is said that we can partake in the sufferings of Christ, but what sufferings is Paul speaking of? I understand it to mean that Jesus suffers with all of us until time ends and the new world comes into being. There is a concept of "greater works" because we trust in Jesus, and some of those greater works may mimic things that spiritualists in the world do, in the same way the Seers of old mimicked Psychics, Mediums, and Witches .. but surpassed them with the power of the Holy Spirit.

And there inlies the point. The inner reality matters more than mere outer appearances.

I'm currently reading the Watchman Nee "Latent Power of the Soul" that Tobias in earlier posts suggested. However the Gospels say that the yoke will be something like easy because we work with Jesus. Maybe it's my age, maybe it's my illnesses, but the load is not light. I still cannot ask for prayer at my church without saying it's for something so abstract from my actual needs. The obvious is going to another church but all Protestant Churches are very much alike. To go to a charismatic church is too difficult because people openly speak in tongues. When this happens I feel the emotions the speaker is speaking but too many speak in tongues at the same time. I get a headache and my middle is pulled so much I feel that if I don't leave, I fear I will be pulled out of my body. I haven't been to one of these churches for a long time, maybe I can better deal with it now, but I'm not eager to try. Maybe having no place to rest my head is part of it.

Upvote 0

Deborah23

Oct 28, 2015
Federal Way, Washington
✟15,139.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
However the Gospels say that the yoke will be something like easy because we work with Jesus. Maybe it's my age, maybe it's my illnesses, but the load is not light. I still cannot ask for prayer at my church without saying it's for something so abstract from my actual needs. The obvious is going to another church but all Protestant Churches are very much alike. To go to a charismatic church is too difficult because people openly speak in tongues. When this happens I feel the emotions the speaker is speaking but too many speak in tongues at the same time. I get a headache and my middle is pulled so much I feel that if I don't leave, I fear I will be pulled out of my body. I haven't been to one of these churches for a long time, maybe I can better deal with it now, but I'm not eager to try. Maybe having no place to rest my head is part of it.

Praying for you sweetie.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not really sure what were talking about so forgive me..

From what I read in the word.. satan can not create anything. He takes what God made said so forth and twist it always to hurt the Father. So I believe God gives as it is written gifts to ALL. Yet it is as the sweet sweet Holy Spirit gives and moves. Always for the Fathers glory. So that one little tiny gift or thing you do that seems like nothing to you.. to your Father.. Ah.. to Him it is just as great as one using the 9 gifts. When you use for His glory what HE gave you.. it SO pleases Him.. He is not a man nor thinks like one. So remember that.

So yeah..some dont know the Father so they just tap into the enemy.. his power..his way.. aka darkness. Yet it was NEVER meant for that. We are free to do anything we want..

Some are weak in the faith we need to be careful how we talk. Some can and will only drink milk. Just keep your eyes on Jesus and stay in the word. Make sure what is being said is written. With God as it is written will always have peace..joy. Just never play with that stuff. for we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." know that greater is HE that is in you then he that is in the world. Show mercy grace forgiveness and love always. Everything you do.. do with in love as it is written.

So keep your eyes on Jesus..you have nothing to fear.. Fear is never of God nor does he use it to talk to anyone. He will TURN that fear around for His glory. Find what the word says.. what HE promised you in HIS word when things seem to be going wrong. Nothing the enemy can do can stand against HE CHRIST that is in you.

Upvote 0

Mikhaela

A Certain Disciple
Oct 15, 2015
Pilgrim
✟7,929.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
It is rather unsettling that one would think or accept that psychic abilities come from God. This is something that is in need of some serious discernment! The ephod you mentioned,do you not remember what happened? "And Gideon made an ephod thereof, and put it in his city, even in Ophrah: and all Israel went thither a whoring after it: which thing became a snare unto Gideon, and to his house." -Judges 8:27
This is not a good thing at all.They thought the ephod was a god in the end and it became a snare.They took their eyes off the Living God and played the harlot with the ephod.Because they forgot about God. We are to be on guard and test the spirits.I am afraid you are opening up yourselves and possibly others to the demonic realm. When I first got saved I was unsure what a real prophet is because I was confused about psychics.(to the discerning eye they seem alike right?Wrong!)I remember God warning against such a thing practices. So wanting to know the meaning to this I seek.Still do seek.I am a disciple I will never stop learning and finding what is of God and what is not of God. To use new age terminology is troubling to say the least.

Upvote 0

Deborah23

Oct 28, 2015
Federal Way, Washington
✟15,139.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Blade, all so true. Know that I am not playing. It's my family that's under attack, serious attack in Charleston. There are many temptations around me that out of desperation seem like a solution but are not. I'm clinging to the word of God and read several chapters from the Bible every day. My sore point is my emotions and the fact that I'd rather suffer myself then see anyone else suffer, so I don't use my head concerning my family.

Mikhaela I did not mention ephod in my posts. I believe that came from earlier posts from Tobias. What's confusing me now is Psychics who say they believe in God and Jesus and pray all the time. One psychic claims to be doing a better job of protecting my family that I am. However, she was burned by a spirit that we both encountered and I was not burned. The reason this spirit was a problem was that it seemed to follow me in an object I brought from Charleston. I don't have time to play around, my family is in serious trouble.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Blade, all so true. Know that I am not playing. It's my family that's under attack, serious attack in Charleston. There are many temptations around me that out of desperation seem like a solution but are not. I'm clinging to the word of God and read several chapters from the Bible every day. My sore point is my emotions and the fact that I'd rather suffer myself then see anyone else suffer, so I don't use my head concerning my family.

Mikhaela I did not mention ephod in my posts. I believe that came from earlier posts from Tobias. What's confusing me now is Psychics who say they believe in God and Jesus and pray all the time. One psychic claims to be doing a better job of protecting my family that I am. However, she was burned by a spirit that we both encountered and I was not burned. The reason this spirit was a problem was that it seemed to follow me in an object I brought from Charleston. I don't have time to play around, my family is in serious trouble.

My recommendation for what it's worth is to only rely on Jesus.

No matter what, this is God with us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 1, 2014
✟15,262.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, you have stated that before in the past. In fact, you are starting to sound like a broken record... :D

My hope was that by having a discussion on the matter I could change your mind. Or we could come to some sort of agreement over the different terminology we seem to be using. But if you are unwilling to engage in any sort of discourse, I suppose it is all a waste of my time.

Do remember, that most of the time when we are teaching people to hear the voice of God for themselves, we caution them that the biggest hurdle is mistaking their own will/inner voice for that of God. Also, most Christians will agree that Satan can also speak to us, pretending to be God.

Are you then suggesting that anytime we hear any other voice besides Gods we are doing so under demonic influence? That we have nothing to worry about, because we will never hear the voice of Satan unless he first possesses us? :confused:

This message was posted almost almost 3 years ago, I know, but I wanted to say this anyway. If anybody claims to actually hear audible voices of spirits, they need to get on their knees and start praying for salvation for God doesn't speak to people that way. It was very rare even in biblical times and there is no authentic proof of such audible communication after the canon was closes

Upvote 0

Ann58

Apr 6, 2016
canada
✟15,113.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is all a bit confusing for me. Grew up learning that visions and prophecy are gifts while simultaneously being taught to avoid anyone claiming these gifts. When Ananais and Sapphira lied to Paul the Holy Spirit warned him and he manifested what some might call psychic abilities. I have recently become acquainted with a pastor who through touch and prayer can learn things about a person and is given messages by the HS. She can also see angels who she says are very big and are light filled and demons who are gargoyle-like. Is there anything wrong with me seeking her counsel as one would when asking for spiritual prayer and counselling from any pastor

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to the forums. Sorry about the teaching being so confusing when you were growing up. Some disregard anything spiritual because they classify all of it as ungodly - even some believers. They're throwing the baby out with the bath water because Yahweh is Spirit (John 4:24) and we are spirit, soul, and body (I Thess 5:23). You ask about the pastor. She prays and lays on hands. In Acts 8, 19, and 28. Paul, Peter, and John laid hands on folks and The Holy Spirit came on them. Yet I Tim 5:22 says don't lay hands suddenly on anyone (of course the opposite is true). As far as her knowing things about others, that is what words of knowledge and wisdom are (I Cor 12:8). There's plenty of Scriptures about folks seeing angels. Believers who see angels are probably going to see the opposite imo. Yes, some get their abilities from the ungodly.

I John 4 says to test the spirits. We need to get our answers from Yahweh. Who is the source of their abilities and what are their purposes. Watch out for control, pride, and other such issues. Listen to her praying and evaluate her counsel. She's not going to be perfect though. See if she's relying on Yahweh. You probably already are but just encourage you to continue to ask Yahweh to guide you because that's who you are really trusting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'd heed God's Word.

Deuteronomy 18:9-11
9 "When you enter the land which the LORD your God gives you, you shall not learn to imitate the detestable things of those nations. 10 "There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.…

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Are they of God, of the Devil, or could they be natural born abilities of Man?

I guess it all depends upon what we define as psychic abilities. Obviously someone who is in the business and takes on the identity of "A Psychic" is using enhanced abilities fueled by spirits that are not in league with God. But there is a big difference between being psychic and being A Psychic. Just like there is a difference between prophesying and being A Prophet. :cool:

There are also quite a number of psychic abilities, which are not necessarily all relate so perhaps the rules don't apply the same to all situations. But just for starters (especially for those who are unfamiliar and don't yet understand what I'm talking about), the major psychic abilities coincide with the 5 physical senses. Those who can see things in the spirit realm are called "clairvoyant." Those who hear things in the spirit realm are "clairaudient". Clairsentience is feeling, and there are others for smelling and tasting. "Clair" meaning "clear", and "voyant" meaning "vision", "audient" meaning "auditory"... I think it's origins are in the French language. There are dozens of others, namely precognizance and claircognizance (knowing the future and knowing facts for no explainable reason), but I think thats a pretty good foundation to get this discussion started.

Personally I think the major psychic abilities are similar to artistic abilities and are natural to Man. Not everybody has them in equal amounts. Artists can relate to musicians and poets, but each of the fine arts are their own thing, and either you have what it takes to make it in those fields or you don't. Same goes for the senses that allow us to perceive things in the spirit realm. On some level they are each an ability and a form of art, and most people that have them operate in more than one, but each is unique in it's own right.

What usually happens though is we are inspired by unseen forces whether we want to or not. Many artists look for their muse, which often times is a spirit that enhances their natural abilities and makes their work stand out. People with psychic abilities do the same. In Church we are taught to listen for the voice of God, so those who see, hear, feel, smell, sense the future, or just know stuff can be influenced accordingly by the Kingdom of Heaven. Those who want to use their abilities for the other side (often without realizing it), might tune their senses in to spirits of the dead, spirit guides, or pagan gods. Go to a church of Spiritualism and they will teach you how to become a medium, which essentially is being a prophet for the dead.

As a musician I have learned how to yield my talent to the HS and allow inspired worship to flow through me. As someone who's clairaudient I have learned how to tune into the voice of my God and be obedient to Him, and how to speak on His behalf to other people. But I have also learned how to hear quite a number of other spirits, some appear to be rather neutral and some are clearly not. But just like when I'm playing guitar, the talent is my own unless I am inspired by other forces.

I guess where I'm making the distinction is the difference between the ability to HEAR God, and yielding to Him. Many hear His call, but few answer. Or on the flip side, hearing spirits and yielding to them instead. For those with the natural born ability, the hearing part happens regardless. But just like everything else in life, we choose whether we submit our talents to God or not.

The examples of supernatural powers that are in the Bible are clearly God-inspired or Satan-inspired; to my knowledge there is no third possible origin. I would appreciate any reference or link to the contrary as I am only saying that I am unaware of such a scripture reference. Thanks

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psychics are not everyday people. They should live among everyday people and not brag about extra perception powers. The more they tell normal common people about it, the more dark substance they get. The dark substances gets denser. If the psychics mind their own business and live happily among the regular society, they will increase the white substance in thier body and get closer to the Heavens gate. Otherwise they will have to wait for another 5000 sleepy years to gain what they lost for boasting about their powers. Thats the meaning of God knew you before you were born. A LOT goes on long before birth and long after death.
What a load of utter trash and lies againt the Gospel of the lord Jesus
.you need to repent .

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another biblical reference is in the ephod that the priests used in the OT. The ephod was a tool that the priest wore, and was a rectangular thing with twelve precious stones that represented the twelve tribes of Israel.

The practical use for the ephod however, was as a tool for hearing the voice of God. Apparently the priests would ask a question to God, and if the answer was "yes" one of the stones would light us, but if the reply was "no" then a different one would light.

How would they light up? No one really knows. But considering you had to be a priest for it to work, I just imagine that the stone wouldn't really light up physically, but that it would light up in a way that only spiritual eyes could see it. IOW you had to be psychic for it to work!

Read the life of David, and you will see just how important this form of communication was. Many times he called for the priest that was with him, who used the ephod he brought to check in with God.
We are not under that temporal and imperfect covenant. And after reading through your posts i can only reach this conclusion.
You are perpetuating a load of demonic hogswash of new age trash.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm currently reading the Watchman Nee "Latent Power of the Soul" that Tobias in earlier posts suggested. However the Gospels say that the yoke will be something like easy because we work with Jesus. Maybe it's my age, maybe it's my illnesses, but the load is not light. I still cannot ask for prayer at my church without saying it's for something so abstract from my actual needs. The obvious is going to another church but all Protestant Churches are very much alike. To go to a charismatic church is too difficult because people openly speak in tongues.
Hi Deborah,

Actually it is not our yoke that is light, it is our yoke given to Jesus that is light for Him to carry.

Do you know what a 'yoke' is? I found this out years ago and now it makes sense. It is when a heavy load (like our problems) are not only carried by us, but by Jesus too. Then the load is lighter because it is distributed between two making it possible to carry very heavy loads.

View media item 53935
A yoke is a wooden beam normally used between a pair of oxen or other animals to enable them to pull together on a load when working in pairs, as oxen usually do; some yokes are fitted to individual animals. There are several types of yoke, used in different cultures, and for different types of oxen. A pair of oxen may be called a yoke of oxen, and yoke is also a verb, as in "to yoke a pair of oxen". Other animals that may be yoked include horses, mules, donkeys, and water buffalo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoke

Upvote 0