New Jersey
✟9,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I updated my blog with an article about a great resource for Parents on keeping their kids away from the filth and sin on the internet. It's called Internet Safety 101. All comments are welcome.

Internet Safety 101 — Protecting Kids From inappropriate content « Spirit and Truth

mstrohm

Feb 10, 2006
Visit site
✟7,814.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
inappropriate contentography is a real threat to young men and some young women as well. One frustration I have with the well sponsored secular efforts to help stop inappropriate contentography, they are reluctant to endorse internet filtering. It just does not make sense to me!

I teach parents about internet safety through my Cyber Safety Seminar that I offer free on the web. I highly endorse the use of internet filters to help protect and keep kids accountable.

If you are interested in participating in a free seminar you can sign up at http://CyberSafetySeminar.com.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Te biggest preventative against inappropriate content,and any bad sex, is a good, robust, healthy set of attitudes and values. Filters etc aren't going to deal with te heart of issues surrounding sexual maturity if you can't talk openly and relevantly about sex with your son. Friends, media. internet cafes are all available to any young person wanting sexual material, let alone peer group conversations. You can't plug all the holes.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Wedjat

Spirited Apostate
Aug 8, 2009
Home sweet home
✟18,807.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
^^ THIS

I wasn't really planning on commenting in this section (I'm not a parent, so who's to listen) but this really needs to be said.

These are some facts of life:
Your children will inevitably be better at using computers than you are
If your children want to find something, they will find it
Internet filters do not work when someone finds out how to work around them.

What is important is to be able to have open and earnest dialogue with your kids and their developing sexuality. In this day and age inappropriate content can be and often is a part of that and needs to be addressed. Whether you want to admit it or not, kids will have questions about sex and it's up to you whether you will be the one to answer them or the internet. You cannot "protect" your kids from inappropriate content, only inform them. inappropriate content will teach your children to "see women as objects and not as human beings" unless you talk to them first. When they are prepared for what they see, then it won't have as bad an effect.

[edit] and don't make the mistake of thinking this only applies to boys. This sort of stuff can have just as much an effect on girls. Girls mature faster than boys and this includes their sexuality. You need to be able to talk to them as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: united4Peace
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
. I highly endorse the use of internet filters to help protect and keep kids accountable.

I discourage reliance on internet filters alone. When my sons were younger, I invested in a popular filter. One of my sons got around it in four days. There is no substitute for effective parental supervision.

Upvote 0

Spiritmace

Morally sound, thank you very much.
Nov 9, 2010
Bristol, United Kingdom
✟7,660.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative

I agree. Blocking software is often designed by people who have a limited knowledge of the kind of sites out there. One of my cousins got around the blocking software at his school by running a proxy server site to get around the software. When he was found out, the school blocked the site. A day later he found another one. When an exhaustive list was found and blocked by the school, he bought a wireless internet server in and installed it, thereby giving him and his friends an unrestricted network. The internet is a vast expanse of knowledge, so it is inevitable that there are numerous ways around everything you do.

Upvote 0

homeofmew

Master Trainer
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟28,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I discourage reliance on internet filters alone. When my sons were younger, I invested in a popular filter. One of my sons got around it in four days. There is no substitute for effective parental supervision.

:clap: Also trusting your kids is also a good idea heck after a while you won't need to supervise them. I remember one I mistyped an address and it was inappropriate content and IM like O_O *CLOSE* and told my mom about it. they were fine about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MckDawg04

Aug 1, 2004
Canton, OH
Visit site
✟16,432.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I wasn't really planning on commenting in this section (I'm not a parent, so who's to listen) but this really needs to be said.

What is important is to be able to have open and earnest dialogue with your kids and their developing sexuality. In this day and age inappropriate content can be and often is a part of that and needs to be addressed. Whether you want to admit it or not, kids will have questions about sex and it's up to you whether you will be the one to answer them or the internet. You cannot "protect" your kids from inappropriate content, only inform them. inappropriate content will teach your children to "see women as objects and not as human beings" unless you talk to them first. When they are prepared for what they see, then it won't have as bad an effect.

[edit] and don't make the mistake of thinking this only applies to boys. This sort of stuff can have just as much an effect on girls. Girls mature faster than boys and this includes their sexuality. You need to be able to talk to them as well.

This sums it all up. The best thing to do is to encourage teens to have open dialouge about sexuality with someone they trust. It could be a parent, relative, youth pastor, or other trusted adult.

The bottom line is to not drop the ball and stay quiet about it. That is what leads to most young people searching the internet for answers and finding inappropriate content.

Upvote 0