Prosperity gospel

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with the BAM (hank hanegraaf)

In his book Christianity In Crisis Hank Hanegraaff, president of the Christian Research Institute, correctly tells us that W/F is "a deadly cancer [that] is ravaging the Body of Christ" (back cover). He then goes on to say:

in the cultic theology of the Faith movement… God is nothing but a "faith being" and man is deemed to be sovereign. God is portrayed as a pathetic puppet at the beck and call of His creation. The faith god has height and weight; he is called a failure; he is bound by the laws of the spirit world and is dependent on the force of faith. This god is impotent rather than omnipotent, limited rather than infinite and omniscient (p.87).

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have more issues with Word of Faith (WOF). What's so fustrating about some extreme doctrines (i.e. WOF) because they are seeing that God's will for "temporal flesh's" benefits, not His. Faith has turned to fantasy with a message of health, wealth, and comfort. This is between God's will and Adam's will. Jeremiah 17:9--The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked." They say, "God answers prayer in order to give us what we want. He has to--He made a promise." Two-way relationship with God requires our submission, obedience and love to Him. Humility is putting God first in our prayers while pride is putting God last in our prayers.

Word of Faith is a teaching movement kindred to many Pentecostal churches and individuals around the world. My concept of Word of Faith is that they focuses on works in terms of “faith” towards health, wealth and prosperity. I don’t view these as the essentials of Christian life and practice.

WOF have yet to prove a biblically-coherent theology of the language of empowerment rather using terms "destiny", "favor", "promotion" and "increase" rather than being blunt of the word "greed".

WOF's main message remained consistent with a culture disillusioned with a God who seemed to be disturbingly unpredictable, prayers that seemed to go unanswered.

WOF's main messages are most venerated deities in the Western pantheon: money, health and self-fulfillment.

WOF teaches that a God who actually hears our prayers and wants to answer them by telling us of the desire of God to heal people of their physical infirmities when often goes unanswered for many Christians.

The bottom line, regardless of how one got their wealth, health or status, no matter "what" you have, the key is knowing "WHO" you are "inside" as Christ see you. James reminded us in Chapter 2 how we are not to "compare" others of "what" they have but rather of "who" they are inside. As Jesus rebuked to a group in Matthew 23:25 ".........You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence."

Upvote 0

PujolsNonRoidHomerHitter

He's not a man! He's a machine!
Feb 8, 2008
Missouri
Visit site
✟23,090.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah, here's a good case in point Simon. Are you a preterist? HH is. There are things that you may agree with but not all. Seems like you've lumpped all of Osteen and the likes into the same 'Have Nothing to Offer' group.

Go Cards

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What about those who make so many rules and regulations on the other end that they make Jesus impossible to get to? I recognize Osteens affiliation with these groups but he seems a bit different, more conservative on the side of prosperity, etc; I don't listen to him much anymore and he might have gotten worse or deeper into this stuff. I like the attitudinal views he gives -- positive, upbeat . . . but that's just me. I don't like being yelled at for an hour and made to feel as bad as humanly possible . . . not to say anyone does.

Go Cards!
hi! i dont agree with the legalist approach or the yelling approach either! But why listen to lies from Joel? There are GREAT preachers out there and on tv..get yourself a sky angel and listen to Jeff Schreve, Ed Young Sr, Ed young JR, Charles stanley etc...these prosperity guys are gonna have some serious stuff to answer to God about for leading so many astray.

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0

PujolsNonRoidHomerHitter

He's not a man! He's a machine!
Feb 8, 2008
Missouri
Visit site
✟23,090.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It must be your computer or maybe Gods trying to get your attention...:thumbsup:

wonder what he's saying?
  • move to mankato?
  • become a fundamentalist?
  • go back to work?
  • listen to a Hybels sermon?
  • write a book?
  • continue posting even though it never gets me anywhere?
Go Cards

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ah, here's a good case in point Simon. Are you a preterist? HH is. There are things that you may agree with but not all. Seems like you've lumpped all of Osteen and the likes into the same 'Have Nothing to Offer' group.

Go Cards
Actually I just liked hanks analogy of wofF, his show is way off theoligically in my view on many levels. I'd never recommend someone listening to him for advice...The text from "increasing in favor" by Joel along with my 16 year olds one sermon note taking of any antiscriptural preaching of JOELS is way more than enough for me to know he is a false teacher...there is no eating the meat and spitting out the bones...My son who isn't more than a 2-3 point calvinist had a list 8 or 10 items long from 1 short sermon of Joels that were outrght scriptural contradictions.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
wonder what he's saying?
  • move to mankato?
  • become a fundamentalist?
  • go back to work?
  • listen to a Hybels sermon?
  • write a book?
  • continue posting even though it never gets me anywhere?
Go Cards
yes
yes
in lil bit
no
not yet...
You here for your advancement?:p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Breakaway_republic

Feb 21, 2009
Palm Bay, FL
✟15,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know this may be a bit unrelated, albeit still on topic, but here is my take on WoF and Prosperity Gospel...

It is childish, foolish, and EVIL. Reasons being:

1.Watch what goes on at some of their "campmeetings", or Live services. There's use of false tongues, people going beserk [demonic manifestation], and people being lied to.

2.Some churches that literally worship this type of "life", act as cults. Turning what is a friendly, and outgoing person into someone that shuns outsiders, and abuses them [seen it happen].

3.they claim the pastors should be blessed, and the finery should "trickle down"to the rabble.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:confused:

Go Cards!
I know this one perplexes you a tad bit, and i have hybels "walk across the room" series and have derived much from it, and i do love the honesty of his ministry when they realise they have taken the wrong path they admit and recorrect themselves, my problem with the whole group of willow creek associates is simply there overzealousness toward being relevant to today and being seeker friendly to the extent they forget to preach the gospel.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know this may be a bit unrelated, albeit still on topic, but here is my take on WoF and Prosperity Gospel...

It is childish, foolish, and EVIL. Reasons being:

1.Watch what goes on at some of their "campmeetings", or Live services. There's use of false tongues, people going beserk [demonic manifestation], and people being lied to.

2.Some churches that literally worship this type of "life", act as cults. Turning what is a friendly, and outgoing person into someone that shuns outsiders, and abuses them [seen it happen].

3.they claim the pastors should be blessed, and the finery should "trickle down"to the rabble.
I think your analysis is spot on!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.