Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I have many questions about religion but it's hard for me to put them in words. I'm a new member and my introduction tells a little about my background:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7671421/

Here are the pros and cons of Christianity for me. Maybe that will help people know where I'm coming from.

Pros:
(1) I've been brainwashed from childhood to be a Christian so those beliefs will always be part of me whether I like it or not.
(2) I've had some paranormal or delusional experiences that often involved Christian beliefs. Even if my paranormal experiences were entirely delusional they still indicate that Christianity is an important issue for me psychologically.

Cons:
(1) 99% of Christian theology seems wrong to me (including the Bible).
(2) There are many radically different and often contradictory Christian theologies.
(3) There are many different ways to practice Christianity - even within a single denomination.
(4) There are many non-Christian religions such as Buddhism that seem better. If I had never heard of Christianity before and was looking at religions based on what made sense, then I would probably rank the religions: Buddhism, Sufism, atheism, Hinduism, Wicca, Judaism.

I would like to make Christianity work for me somehow. Either that or I would like to permanently eliminate it, so I can move on in my search. Thanks for any feedback. :)

Last edited:

Puptart

Live, Laugh, Love.. and adopt a dog :)
May 14, 2012
Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada
✟16,539.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Cons:

The Bible is a compliation document. It was compiled from various manuscripts that were picked over (with some people included, others being rejected) by a group of human beings (not by God), and it was subsequently translated and copied down through the years with errors and mis-translations and additions/subtractions in the pages. On top of that, the documents contain many literary devices we would know today to be found in common prose, as well as cultural context that is often skipped-over by many modern-day Christians.

The Bible is a book that makes very little sense when taken literally, but if you learn where the Bible came from, how it was compiled, research what was being said based on the cultural context of the time, and so on.. you can come to discover where the Bible fits into your life. It is an inspired work that has a lot to offer, you just have to learn how to work with it.

(2) There are many radically different and often contradictory Christian theologies.

That's humanity for you. :)

(3) There are many different ways to practice Christianity - even within a single denomination.

Yep. See my answer above about humanity, haha. What's your point I guess would be my question.. there are various ways to do anything in life. There are even multiple different ways to tie your shoes! It makes no difference, really. As long as you are getting what you need.

(4) There are many non-Christian religions such as Buddhism that seem better.

Depends on your definition of "better". Some people look to other religions and think they are easier. Less rules.. less confusion in existing texts.. less work maybe.. but "better"? Meh. I wouldn't say so, and that's coming from someone who's been through a few different religions (as well as having been an atheist) herself.

Bottom line: Truth is what is "better". Find truth, and you've got the best thing available. Where you find that truth, I won't tell you it's here or it's there. That's up to you.

(5) There is also atheism available.

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. No really, I have a t-shirt :D

Not sure how this point fits in on your list though. Atheism is always an option.. so are all the other religions of the world. Again I say to look for the truth and where ever you find it, well I won't say boo about it personally. I'm not a fan of telling people what's best for their lives.. I just know what's best for mine. This is not, for the record, a common Christian statement :p I'm just very open-minded.

(6) If I had never heard of Christianity before and was looking at religions based on what made sense, then I would probably rank the religions: Buddhism, atheism, Hinduism, Wicca, Judaism. I wouldn't even consider Islam or Christianity.

This is essentially an idential point to one or two of your above points, ie: Looking for whatever is "better". But when I look at your list.. I think I see a list of things that are easier and maybe come across on the surface as "nicer" (there's a thread in Christianity and World Religion about this I believe), but not better. It's easy to be emotionally swayed into something that is less work and less effort, and essentially easier. But is it true?

For me, none of those other religions hold the truth.

For you? That's up to you. *shrugs*

At the end of the day, every single religion requires a leap of faith. You can only get so far on research, study, and reason alone.. it will take you quite a ways, but there comes a point in time where you have to decide to trust God and give everything to him, and see where it takes you. Until that point, I have a motto: People who haven't taken the leap of faith will always ask "Why [believe]?" and people who HAVE taken it will always ask "Why not [believe]?"

Choice is always up to you.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
At the end of the day, every single religion requires a leap of faith. You can only get so far on research, study, and reason alone.. it will take you quite a ways, but there comes a point in time where you have to decide to trust God and give everything to him, and see where it takes you. Until that point, I have a motto: People who haven't taken the leap of faith will always ask "Why [believe]?" and people who HAVE taken it will always ask "Why not [believe]?"

Choice is always up to you.

Thanks those are good points. Also, the "belief" issue is another big problem with Christianity in my opinion (especially Protestant Christianity). My beliefs change with my mood and so forth. I get depressed frequently and that mood doesn't mix with religion of any kind.

In high school I took Trigonometry as a night class. I couldn't understand what we were doing, but I didn't know why I couldn't understand it. I couldn't put a question into words, so nobody could help me. That's how I feel about all of this. :)

Upvote 0

Puptart

Live, Laugh, Love.. and adopt a dog :)
May 14, 2012
Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada
✟16,539.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
I have a severe anxiety disorder coupled with depression, belief is a very tough thing when you're in the midst of a mental health episode, so I know how you feel. It's extra tough when you encounter those "You don't need medication/therapy, you just need God" types. :D

I've been through varying levels of mental health problems while still being a Christian or at least believing in God. I've sort of had to take it one step at a time and not throw the baby out with the bath water, ie: if I'm really struggling I need to not just push everything away, God included, people included, and so on. I really had to work with my mental health problems first before I really made the best headway with spirituality. I'm on medications that work for me now, and life all 'round is a lot easier with a clear head.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I really had to work with my mental health problems first before I really made the best headway with spirituality. I'm on medications that work for me now, and life all 'round is a lot easier with a clear head.

That makes sense to me. Sometimes I've looked back and my whole life seems to have been sabotaged by depression. Or maybe I use depression as an excuse - who knows.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would like to make Christianity work for me somehow. Either that or I would like to permanently eliminate it, so I can move on in my search. Thanks for any feedback. :)
Jesus Christ, is he the son of God and did he rise up out of the grave on the third day?

Yes, Follow Him and become a Christian.
No, Ignore him and try to find a religion that is true.

I picked yes. I'm not going to tell you which one to pick. You're on your own.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi, I have many questions about religion but it's hard for me to put them in words. I'm a new member and my introduction tells a little about my background:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7671421/

Here are the pros and cons of Christianity for me. Maybe that will help people know where I'm coming from.

Pros:
(1) I've been brainwashed from childhood to be a Christian so those beliefs will always be part of me whether I like it or not.

Funny how it's called being "brainwashed" when it comes to religion, but it's called being "educated" when it comes to anything else. How many original ideas do you have? If you're honest, you'll answer, "Virtually none." All of our ideas use the ideas of others as a foundation, unless you grew up in a basement without any human interaction your entire life.

(2) I've had some paranormal or delusional experiences that often involved Christian beliefs. Even if my paranormal experiences were entirely delusional they still indicate that Christianity is an important issue for me psychologically.

Like what?

Cons:

Are you sure that you know what the Bible teaches? Much Christian theology is man-made and is based on inaccurate teaching of scripture. What exactly do you think is wrong in the Bible? Please be specific.

See above. Many Christian beliefs are not centered on the Bible, but people have had those ideas put in their heads, so they grow up thinking that it is.

For example, the United Pentecostal Church. The only "denomination" I dislike more than the UPC is that of the Westboro Baptists, which shouldn't even be classified as Christian. The UPC teach that the only way to be saved is to meet three criteria: Faith, baptism, and speaking in tongues.

For baptism, they teach that one must be baptized in the name of Jesus or else it doesn't count. They completely ignore Matthew 28:19 which says, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit," which was was a command directly from Jesus. They also fail to realize that "baptism" doesn't even have a Greek word equivalent, and it definitely is not a requirement. "Baptism" is a transliteration of the Greek word "baptizo" which means "burial." Baptism symbolizes the death and resurrection of Christ. And for us, it represents death to sin and new life. This is what the Bible refers to when it speaks of baptism, and it has to do with faith not water.

As for speaking in tongues, they don't even know what the gift is. They think they it means opening your mouth and letting random sounds come out that nobody understands. The gift of tongues has only one use, which is to allow one to speak in a language that he or she doesn't know in order to communicate with someone who understands it. The UPC will take 1 Corinthians 13:1 out of context and claim that it proves that they can speak in the tongues of angels. That is completely false.

1 Corinthians 13:1-2 - If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

See for yourself. Paul was using an exaggeration. He didn't write this to say that it is possible to speak in the tongues of angels, but that even if he could, it would still be useless if he lacked love. In the second verse he continues the pattern with another exaggeration: "If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge..." Is it possible for a living person to know everything? Of course not.

They also tell their women not to cut their hair, wear makeup, or wear jeans or skirts that don't fall below their knees. None of these things have Biblical justification. They're just holding too tight to their old fashioned ways of living.

False denominations were a problem even when Paul was still alive. But as he said, there is only one gospel, and that is the one given in the Bible. Anything else is not a gospel at all.

However, most denominations do believe the gospel. We agree that:

1. God is the only God there is.
2. All fall short of God's perfect standards.
3. Jesus was born of a virgin, and He was both God and man.
4. Jesus died a sinners death even though He was without sin.
5. Faith is Jesus is the only way to be saved.

(4) There are many non-Christian religions such as Buddhism that seem better. If I had never heard of Christianity before and was looking at religions based on what made sense, then I would probably rank the religions: Buddhism, Sufism, atheism, Hinduism, Wicca, Judaism.

You realize that you're just speaking on personal opinion, right? What do you think makes Buddhism better than Christianity?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, GrayAngel, there is a lot of information in your post to respond to, but I'll try my best.

On the question of Bible infallibility, coincidentally I came across a suspicious quote from Jesus a few days ago that didn't sound like other quotes from Jesus in that same chapter (Matthew 18:15-19). Maybe I'm just a suspicious person.

On the paranormal experiences (or delusional experiences), I've described some of them on other forums. I enjoy describing them, but most people don't believe me and that makes me look like a liar or a nut. I know they might be psychological delusions, but I also worry that they might be guidance from God (not necessarily the Christian God) and I also worry that they might be tricks from demons. They bother me a lot.

On the superiority of Buddhism, it just makes lots of sense to me. Christianity doesn't make any sense at all. That's my opinion, but I think many people would agree with me. It doesn't mean Buddhism is right and Christianity is wrong, but it bothers me that Christianity seems to be such a confusing mess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0