Prophets VS. Psychics

L

Life2Christ

Personally, I think I am psychic and it is a horrible thing to be. Many many times I will see visions and they come to fruition within 48 hours to one week. This has happened to me many times and I HATE IT. I always try to think good happy thoughts and kill the bad ones. Causes me horrible depression.

Can anyone relate to this? I hate to use the word "psychic" and I'm no where near being a "prophet" or prophetess. I have seen prophets in the church and they scary in a good way. What is the difference between prophets and psychics??

Please don't tell me the devil is talking to me and showing me visions because that can't be true.

Eyesee

It's all about Jesus
Jun 14, 2012
North Texas
✟15,906.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Personally, I think I am psychic and it is a horrible thing to be. Many many times I will see visions and they come to fruition within 48 hours to one week. This has happened to me many times and I HATE IT. I always try to think good happy thoughts and kill the bad ones. Causes me horrible depression.

Can anyone relate to this? I hate to use the word "psychic" and I'm no where near being a "prophet" or prophetess. I have seen prophets in the church and they scary in a good way. What is the difference between prophets and psychics??

Please don't tell me the devil is talking to me and showing me visions because that can't be true.

I'm assuming by your name you are a Christian. What you are struggling with is definitions and I'm not sure why. Prophets do many things; they foretell events, they see visions, they dream dreams, they speak forth the Word of God.

It sounds to me like you are a "seer". I personally have never had visions, but I hear God's voice very clearly and he does tell me things and I see them come to pass. He also speaks to me in dreams, but I don't consider myself a prophet, and I don't care to be recognized as such; all I care about is that Father talks to me and that in and of itself is enough for me.

Don't worry about whether you are this or that. Pray about the things that you see and ask God what he would have you do with them (if it IS God).

One more thing; ALWAYS test the spirit that is showing you these things. We are not above being able to be deceived - ALWAYS test things by the Word. (1 John 4:1)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatWhichIsnt

evidence trumps all
Apr 20, 2011
✟8,158.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

That is not from God. Besides the fact we no longer have prophets like the ones in the Bible, even if we did those visions would not be as negative as you described. Even when God did do these things they are always for a clear purpose and reason which He made evident to the recipient.

If you have a pastor, and if he is in good relationship with you, then talk to him. If not, find one. I can guarantee to you though these types of thing are not Biblical or godly.

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Bible encyclopedia explains it much better than I can.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] A prophet was a spokesman for [/FONT]God[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]; he spake in [/FONT]God[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]'s name and by his authority ([/FONT]Ex. 7:1[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]). He is the mouth by which [/FONT]God[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] speaks to men ([/FONT]Jer. 1:9[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]; [/FONT]Isa. 51:16[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]), and hence what the prophet says is not of man but of [/FONT]God[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] ([/FONT]2 Pet. 1:20,21[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]; compare [/FONT]Hebrews 3:7[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]; [/FONT]Acts 4:25[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]; [/FONT]28:25[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]).[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The foretelling of future events was not a necessary but only an incidental part of the prophetic office. The great task assigned to the prophets whom God raised up among the people was “to correct moral and religious abuses, to proclaim the great moral and religious truths which are connected with the character of God, and which lie at the foundation of his government.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Any one being a spokesman for God to man might thus be called a prophet. Thus Enoch, Abraham, and the patriarchs, as bearers of God's message (Gen. 20:7; Ex. 7:1; Ps. 105:15), as also Moses (Deut. 18:15; 34:10; Hos. 12:13), are ranked among the prophets.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Miriam[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] and [/FONT]Deborah[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] were [/FONT]prophetesses[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] ([/FONT]Ex. 15:20[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]; [/FONT]Judg. 4:4[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]). The title thus has a general application to all who have messages from [/FONT]God[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] to men.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Psychic: A different form of witchcraft and sorcery is “divination” or “soothsaying.” This involves supernatural methods used to seek information that cannot be obtained by natural processes of study and investigation. Especially, it seeks to foretell the future.[/FONT]

Deuteronomy 18:20-22 — After rebuking all forms of the occult (vv 9-14), God predicted the coming of the true prophet (Jesus) in whom people should trust (vv 15-19). Then He explained some ways people could recognize false prophets. A prophet is not from God if he claims to speak in the name of some other god or if his predictions of the future do not come true.
Occult diviners, psychics, and fortune tellers often speak in the name of supernatural beings other than the God of the Bible. All who do so are false prophets.
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Only God can read the minds of men.[/FONT]
1 Corinthians 2:11 — For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God.
1 Corinthians 13:8-10
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues,they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Acts 2:17[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]“'It shall be done in the last days, says God,' I shall pour out my Spirit on everybody, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions and your Elders shall dream dreams.”[/FONT]
(At such time when the Messiah would come)
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

If you see visions you might be a seer as someone said, something prophetic. Vision comes from The Lord and the other side too. The person who said there are no prophets anymore is wrong. God still speaks through the mouth of His servants (the prophets(ess)

Being a prophet(ess) is not all sweet all the time because you cannot choose what you get shown or see.

I don't call prophets psychics because psychics involve magic and some mystics in their acts. Someone who has the gift of seeing and dreaming prophetic dreams and is doing that through the glory of God and through His power is a prophet(ess)

Test all spirits, definitely i agree with that. If it goes against scriptures and the spirit of God then its not from God. But seeing a vision of something negative does not always mean its not from God. If God shows you, He shows you to pray over it and intercede so that something could change.

The Lord reveals to redeem.
If you have this gift, pray to the Lord to use it for His glory. It is His gift to you from Him, and only when you avail yourself, soak yourself and ask Him to use it in your life and in the life of others is when you will begin to see His works.

And people who use this gift negatively are of course grieving the Spirit of God.
P.S. If all you always see is negative that depresses you, you may need to pray against it very well for the enemy could be attacking you.

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BFine got it right.
A prophet is someone who is a spokesperson for God.

Apparently, if you are right, you are able to see future events. I am not casting any judgment on that at all. If I were you I would simply pray a lot about it, and try to use it in a Godly way. At the very least, you can pray about things that you believe are coming up. You may even be able to intervene - but I would be careful about that.

blessings,
gideon123

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Main differences between Godly prophets and psychics is THE SOURCE and the purposes
While people tend to hear and feel things differently, most prophetic and psychic people agree that the information does not come from within themselves. That means they are either hearing from unclean spirits, angels, Satan, or God. (Or... other.)

Psychics admit to hearing from spirits and also believe they hear from deceased human spirits. These spirits are unpredictable and while the psychic/medium may feel they have a certain amount of control, history shows that spirits usually turn on people eventually, causing harm and chaos.

Christian prophets hear from God, and sometimes get messages through angels. These angels have yielded themselves to God, and do not act in their own interests. God is the source of all knowledge; spirits save and tap into pockets of limited knowledge. They have been around for a long time, so they can know things we don't expect them to know... which appears powerful.

You have yielded yourself to God, so I would assume that God is giving you information. You don't need to be afraid of this, but use it for prayer and preparation. Ask God when you feel compelled to tell someone what you saw or heard.

Take a spin by the Dreams&Visions forum -- you will run into other people like yourself, who carry the luggage of knowing things they didn't plan to know. We have some good conversations there. (Oops sorry! You have been there.)

There is no reason that God should stop communicating to His people, or through His people. He dwells within all of us.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
To say that it is not from God is a VERY dangerous assumption to make. I'm saying this because I've had prophetic visions/dreams as well. I don't typically tell anyone about it, but I know that it's not Satan. How would Satan be able to infiltrate my mind like that if I'm a child of God?

One of my dreams had my grandfather in it and I asked him why he was there because he was dead. He told me that I needed to see what was to come next and it played out like a movie. The dream was so vivid I told my brothers and husband. Every aspect of it came to pass in order. Part of the dream involved my grandmother dying. When my grandmother fell and was unable to walk, my dad called me and I told him I had a dream and he asked if she was going to come out of it and I told him no. My dad has had dreams too about things so he was able to take the next six months or so to spend time with his mom and know the time was precious. My dad and I were the first ones to see her, less than 30 minutes from her time of death and I can tell you, on the way there, I knew she died. I felt it. I can't explain it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
One of my dreams had my grandfather in it and I asked him why he was there because he was dead. He told me that I needed to see what was to come next and it played out like a movie. The dream was so vivid I told my brothers and husband. Every aspect of it came to pass in order. Part of the dream involved my grandmother dying. When my grandmother fell and was unable to walk, my dad called me and I told him I had a dream and he asked if she was going to come out of it and I told him no. My dad has had dreams too about things so he was able to take the next six months or so to spend time with his mom and know the time was precious. My dad and I were the first ones to see her, less than 30 minutes from her time of death and I can tell you, on the way there, I knew she died. I felt it. I can't explain it.
Thanks for sharing that one.

Upvote 0