Site Supporter
May 26, 2013
Sweden
✟38,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
WhY do you think those who said they saw Him alive from the dead lied about it?
I didn't say that they lied about the resurrection.
I do not know what happened. Right now I hardly
know the basics.

I am hoping that I will get a basis for some kind of
decision in time as my studies progress.

Upvote 0
J

jdbear

Pink Spider said,
I didn't say that they lied about the resurrection.
I do not know what happened. Right now I hardly
know the basics.
I am hoping that I will get a basis for some kind of
decision in time as my studies progress.

As your studies progress, as you take everything you read from the Bible into account, you will be confronted with the fact that they were telling the truth, or they were lying. You will discover (for obvious reasons) there is no in between. Whichever you decide, make sure the motive is plausible.

Upvote 0

Pink Spider

EUROPEAN ANGLICAN
Site Supporter
May 26, 2013
Sweden
✟38,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
[/size][/font]
As your studies progress, as you take everything you read from the Bible into account, you will be confronted with the fact that they were telling the truth, or they were lying. You will discover (for obvious reasons) there is no in between. Whichever you decide, make sure the motive is plausible.
Goes without saying.:) I'm methodical, careful
and tenacious. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
How is it possible to know whether they were doing this or whether some prophecies were genuinely fulfilled?

The distinction is not as clear cut as you seem to think. If they believed that Jesus was the expected Jewish Messiah, they would certainly have expected to find him prophesied in the Old Testament, and their reading of the Old Testament would have been informed by that belief.

Whether or not you believe they were right in their original estimation of Jesus, or in seeing his coming prophesied in the Old Testament, is itself a question whose answer is likely to reflect the answerer's prior beliefs.

Upvote 0

Pink Spider

EUROPEAN ANGLICAN
Site Supporter
May 26, 2013
Sweden
✟38,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
[...]Whether or not you believe they were right in their original estimation of Jesus, or in seeing his coming prophesied in the Old Testament, is itself a question whose answer is likely to reflect the answerer's prior beliefs.
Thanks for your straight and rational answer. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
J

jdbear

Pink Spider said,
Yes. Of course. :)

As long as it does it in a coherent way and it's
not 'retro-engineered prophecy fulfillment'.

I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles; Is.42:6

Are you at least curious about an ancient document which speaks of a Jew revealing God to the world?

"Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare. Before they spring forth I tell you of them." Is.42:9

Upvote 0