Project ChalleNGe changed my teens life!

TCat

Daily surrender
Mar 23, 2007
usa
✟10,087.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My son was 16, struggling in High School with doing his school work and not turning it in. He had the ability but no motivation, no drive, no work ethic. He was bored and drifting and began getting into trouble. Not major trouble like drugs or alcohol but lying, sneaking out of the house, trying to see his gf while being grounded. He had no direction and we could not seem to get through to him that his life was headed downhill.

My DH and I were so frustrated, we tried counselling, taking to our pastor, youth ministry, spending more time with our son. Nothing was working and he did not seem to care about anything. Punishment was ineffective and communication was at a stand still.

My husband and I both work hard to make ends meet, we make to much $ to get state help with our son and to little to afford private places. We are the middle class that gets it from both ends. One afternoon after my son was "excused" from High School for the day and being reprimanded by out pastor for misbehaving with his gf at church we had had enough!

My husband was online looking for something, anything that would help and found Project ChalleNGe. A state program through the Nat'l Guard that helps underachieving kids 16-20 yrs old who are at risk of dropping out or failing High School. It is a 5 month residential, quasi military style program in which the students are physically, mentally, and emotionally challenged to grow up, learn cause and effect, learn respect and self discipline. They focus on leadership, followership, citizenship, etc. They break the kids down and rebuild them into self reliant, strong young men and women with goals and a future. The kids attend school, work toward their diplomas or GED's and are taught how to make their way in the world and meet daily challenges with excitment and honor! Best part about it is that it is no cost to the families.

The program is actually 22 months, 5 residential and 17 months with their mentor and support staff. My son just returned from the residential part of the program. WOW he has grown up, finished High School and is right now with his dad taking placement tests at the community college. He spent yesterday filling out his resume and looking for a job! He loved the program, and is respectful, attentive, and motivated!

I am so proud of him. He loved the program, is missing his buddies an TAC Sgt's but is ready to embrace life. He won a scholarship to college and has the opportunity to earn several more.

My son is finding his way thanks to Progect ChalleNGe. There are several chapters through out the country. It is strictly volentary, cannot be court madated and the kids have to test clean from drugs to be admitted but if you as parents are lost and your kid needs more help than you can provide I would encourage you to look online at Project challeNGe, it is awesome!

TCat

Daily surrender
Mar 23, 2007
usa
✟10,087.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
UPDATE!
My son has been home for 3 weeks from AzPC. What a changed young man! Honest, repectful, willing to listen, wanting to work...I can't say enough good things about him. We are enjoying his company, enjoying the man he is! Thank you God for the blessing of this ministry.

Josh, broke up with his girlfriend, who was not a good influence. Dropped many bad friends and is now enjoying the fruits of respectful behavior in and out of the house. He mentioned today that people seem to be treating him better, more respectfully, we pointed out that it stems from confidence and respecting himself.

I feel blessed to have my son, the man I knew he was inside, back in our home and back on tract!

Upvote 0