✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey,

I was wondering what prayer and mediation resources you all like to use, and if there are any with a progressive bent.

Is there anything like a sort of more liberal version of the liturgy of the hours (Roman Catholic) or morning and evening prayer from the BCP (Anglican/Episcopalian)?

Something that connects us with the religion we grew up with in ways that are familiar to us, but which matches our hopes or beliefs today.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey,

I was wondering what prayer and mediation resources you all like to use, and if there are any with a progressive bent.

Is there anything like a sort of more liberal version of the liturgy of the hours (Roman Catholic) or morning and evening prayer from the BCP (Anglican/Episcopalian)?

Something that connects us with the religion we grew up with in ways that are familiar to us, but which matches our hopes or beliefs today.

I just read Anglican Bishop's NT Wright on the prayer that Jesus taught us to us. Are you suggesting somehow that Jesus calling God "daddy" is somehow uncomfortable. If so, I suggest an exercise. Study what folks have said about the meaning of each word in the Our Father. Then, change a few of the words so that the meaning is the same, but the cultural context meets you won. We used on of these in our Anglican Church a couple of years ago. The Our Father was written for those of a Japanese (perhaps Chines) culture. The words were very different, but the concepts the same.

Do the same with the Jesus Prayer and perhaps other prayer that folks use very often.
===========

There may be prayers already written, but it would seem that when vary severely from the prayers of the Church, we should understand the original meaning. As I have said before, calling God "Creator" instead of "Father" and Jesus "Redeemer" instead of "Son" is greatly changing the meaning of our faith. Those are but two attributes of the God and Jesus. Baptizing in the name of God, Jesus and The Holy Spirit makes some sense.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I just read Anglican Bishop's NT Wright on the prayer that Jesus taught us to us. Are you suggesting somehow that Jesus calling God "daddy" is somehow uncomfortable.

I don't have any issues with called God Father, particularly not in the context of an ancient traditional prayer. I also don't have any issues with gender-neutral language or calling God Mother. It's all fine with me. However, I'd be uncomfortable with actually using the word "Daddy", simply because I think it makes it sounds like we are small children and God is the only adult in the room. Even when I actually was a small child, I didn't call my own biological father "Daddy".

Mainly when I speak of alternate resources, I'm thinking things that play down the feudalistic elements of faith (i.e. relating to God as a serf would to a nobleman in the middle ages), sin, hell, traditional mores, and so on and so forth, and play up hope, love, and communion, and social justice. God as someone who's essence we share in and as a friend more than someone who hands down orders that we need to curry favor with lest we suffer hell fire. It's more of a change in emphasis than anything else. It doesn't have to be redesigning the religion from the ground up. :) But it'd be nice to have a God who grows with us and respects our right to make our own decisions without demanding abject worship and threatening us with torture over disagreements. I'd like to think God isn't so insecure that he needs to be called Lord and groveled to and punish people harshly for not doing so.

In starting the thread, though, I should mention that I'm providing it as an opportunity for people to sort of advertise or mention anything they like that is a bit more progressive or liberal than some mainstream resources. It doesn't have to match what I talked about in the preceeding paragraph. Maybe someone has some sort of special Jesuit book of meditations or something. Just stuff that we may not have heard of that fit the general liberal Christian theme.

As I have said before, calling God "Creator" instead of "Father" and Jesus "Redeemer" instead of "Son" is greatly changing the meaning of our faith. Those are but two attributes of the God and Jesus. Baptizing in the name of God, Jesus and The Holy Spirit makes some sense.

My concern with the Creator, Redeemer, Sanctifier formula is specifically baptismal and in making sure baptisms are considered valid by other parishes, dioceses, churches, and Christian groups. I don't mind the use of those terms in liturgy. But I think messing with the baptismal formula would likely cause a break in ecumenical recognition of a church's baptisms. In the case of some Roman Catholic parishes that did it, the RCC actually sent out letters to the people baptized like twenty years later telling them the baptisms weren't valid and they'd have to do them again. I'm concerned that when the rare Episcopalian parish does it, it may mean that relatives from other faiths attending the baptism get upset and don't feel the baby is properly baptized, etc.. I think it's easier to stick with the traditional formula on that one just because of how widespread the implications are of changing it when it comes to other churches.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't have any issues with called God Father, particularly not in the context of an ancient traditional prayer. I also don't have any issues with gender-neutral language or calling God Mother. It's all fine with me. However, I'd be uncomfortable with actually using the word "Daddy", simply because I think it makes it sounds like we are small children and God is the only adult in the room. Even when I actually was a small child, I didn't call my own biological father "Daddy".

Mainly when I speak of alternate resources, I'm thinking things that play down the feudalistic elements of faith (i.e. relating to God as a serf would to a nobleman in the middle ages), sin, hell, traditional mores, and so on and so forth, and play up hope, love, and communion, and social justice. God as someone who's essence we share in and as a friend more than someone who hands down orders that we need to curry favor with lest we suffer hell fire. It's more of a change in emphasis than anything else. It doesn't have to be redesigning the religion from the ground up. :) But it'd be nice to have a God who grows with us and respects our right to make our own decisions without demanding abject worship and threatening us with torture over disagreements. I'd like to think God isn't so insecure that he needs to be called Lord and groveled to and punish people harshly for not doing so.

In starting the thread, though, I should mention that I'm providing it as an opportunity for people to sort of advertise or mention anything they like that is a bit more progressive or liberal than some mainstream resources. It doesn't have to match what I talked about in the preceeding paragraph. Maybe someone has some sort of special Jesuit book of meditations or something. Just stuff that we may not have heard of that fit the general liberal Christian theme.

My concern with the Creator, Redeemer, Sanctifier formula is specifically baptismal and in making sure baptisms are considered valid by other parishes, dioceses, churches, and Christian groups. I don't mind the use of those terms in liturgy. But I think messing with the baptismal formula would likely cause a break in ecumenical recognition of a church's baptisms. In the case of some Roman Catholic parishes that did it, the RCC actually sent out letters to the people baptized like twenty years later telling them the baptisms weren't valid and they'd have to do them again. I'm concerned that when the rare Episcopalian parish does it, it may mean that relatives from other faiths attending the baptism get upset and don't feel the baby is properly baptized, etc.. I think it's easier to stick with the traditional formula on that one just because of how widespread the implications are of changing it when it comes to other churches.

I was somewhat leery of exploring to far. I truly don't know what progressive prayer means. You seem to be using the "progressive" as meaning free from the some of the restrictions of how the Church perceives issues such as Original Sin and hell. That's certainly easy enough.

When I hear the world liberal prayer, i do think of gender issues, rather than lordship issues. We are on the same page with regard to our baptismal vows. Personally, I am NOT comfortable with the Creator as Mother. That just isn't my tradition. I tend to think of the Holy spirit as feminine, as many did in the Early Church.

GOD AS ABBA
I think that I understand your issue. I think that Jesus teaches us much when he asks that we pray to our daddy. First, the Middle Ages image of the austere, punishing Father, immediately melts away. Jesus is careful to call us his friends and asks us to treat him as such. But, yes, by calling God "abba", we are indeed confessing that we are indeed the only adults in the room. We must lean on His understanding, not our own. So, the repeated analogy of family makes sense to me, with us as children of God, and bothers and inters of Jesus. And then we, as we grow up in the Book Of Acts, are sent forth to be Jesus in the world, to do all the miracles he did and more.

As Fantine has pointed out, perhaps it is our view of Church that distinguishes liberals. The Church is here to help us on our spiritual walk. And the pope indeed used to act as a king. Popes since Vatican II have made great efforts to remove that conception of the pope and the Church. The pope is servant, not king. This is similarly true that cardinals and bishops are not nobility who own all the land, while we as serfs are here of pray, pay and obey.

PROGRESSIVE PRAYER AND MEDITATION
How should our prayer be different? Perhaps, we pray for different things in our personal prayers than conservatives would. I could see progressives using favoring different bible translations and paraphrases. Perhaps contemplatives would seem liberal according to lots of definitions, even though they may be completely orthodox in their theology.
I'm sure Merton and Nanh were looked down upon by the conservatives in the church. The idea of praying with Buddhists or Sufis wouldn't appeal to them.

There are several contemplative sites. Was it you who gave us the one below? Father Keating has another. And there are others. Would the charismatic folks be considered liberal because they have prayer groups which includes Catholics and non-Catholics? I suppose so. Of course, this seems somewhat strange, since very conservative Protestants often pray together with those of other Protestant denominations.

https://us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=5hu2kltg9vjq0#7432263275

I don't think that the various modes of prayer in the Church are liberal or conservative. Is lectio divina liberal? conservative?

In the end, prayer is about listening to the small still voice of God; that is what Scrioture teaches.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This site has some wonderful resources on the examen.

http://www.ignatianspirituality.com/ignatian-prayer/the-examen

I think that the dual actions of contemplating where God interacted in your life each day along with practicing gratitude are some of the most personally transformative things we can do.

It's harder to be grateful in hard times, of course, but it's possible.

Recently I was involved in a car accident when, totally exhausted from a sleepless night, I might have shut my eyes as soon as I got off the interstate (it's fuzzy to me). I have had sleep apnea in the past, but when my mask broke and I had to do without it, my husband said I wasn't snoring anymore. I'd done without it for a year, but had begun to feel tired again. I was grateful. It was a minor accident. No one was hurt. I had one small black and blue mark. Most importantly, there was a car in front of me that prevented me from gliding into an intersection and possibly killing myself and others. Finally, there was a warning! I am awaiting my new mask, which should arrive in two days. It's much smaller and more comfortable. I am doing very little driving until it arrives.

I pray that the person driving the blessed obstacle that saved my life will be blessed in other ways for being in the right place at the right time to save me (I know she has been inconvenienced, but she is unhurt and her car will be fixed).

I tell my friends that the God of second chances was saying he still wasn't finished with me yet. I have a purpose yet to fulfill--and practicing gratitude and the examen will help me to determine it.

Upvote 0