sparks88

Apr 4, 2010
Rockford, IL
✟7,712.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
A large part of my old life was programming. I have 2.5 years of formal education in it, and a year of experience doing it professionally.

So as I come into a new life I am confused on where it should stand in my life. I want everything I do to be for the glory of God, but really the only reason I write code is that I love it. It challenges my mind, and I enjoy the way that feels.

I don't worship the computer. If my education has taught me anything, it is that a computer really is an incredibly stupid machine.

I know that Jesus was a carpenter, and maybe in the same way he built with wood, I can build with code.

So I guess my question is, what does the bible say about work like this?

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Programming isn't like prostitution or hustling. It can be done legitimately by Christians, just like most other fields of work. I suggest you approach it like a Christian should approach any legitimate job. What the Bible says about work in general is this:

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, and there is no favoritism.
Masters, provide your slaves with what is right and fair, because you know that you also have a Master in heaven." - Colossians 3:22-4:1

Now, this passage is not an endorsement of slavery as an institution, and what it says is not limited to slaves and masters. It does tell us what God thinks about work, though.

- We should work with integrity.
- We should work productively.
- We should work and conduct ourselves at work in a way that makes God look good to people around us.
- We should work as though God was telling us to do whatever.
- We should work well as an act of worship to God.
- We should not obey our bosses into sinfulness. If they're telling you to do something illegal, then don't!

Now, wherever you work, you should strive to be reliable, productive, honest, respectful, loving, and open. Your life could be the only Bible some of your co-workers ever read. Where you work is your temporary mission field, until the assignment changes. And the assignment will change, especially in programming. People generally burn out of that field after a dozen or so years of work, and the hours can be very hard on your family. If the time comes when the strain becomes too much, by all means find a new field of work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Programming can be a hobby or a career, and there is room in your life for both. Not everything in your life needs to relate to Jesus or Theology. Using your God-given talents in a productive way is in harmony with your Christian faith. When is it "not productive"? If it becomes an obsession, or if your life becomes out of balance as a result of too much of it. Or if you program something that would go against your values. Other than that, you're probably good to go!

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
OP, one can even do menial labor and honor God. There is nothing wrong with writing code and enjoying it for fun and profit. You've got to make a living and it isn't a job that has moral issues involved. Everyone can let the light shine no matter where they are or what they are doing.

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
OP, one can even do menial labor and honor God. There is nothing wrong with writing code and enjoying it for fun and profit. You've got to make a living and it isn't a job that has moral issues involved. Everyone can let the light shine no matter where they are or what they are doing.

No moral issues usually, anyway. If you're programming some esoteric medical system you may begin to slowly touch on some moral issues. If you're programming a virus with malicious intent that's definitely wrong. But in the grand scheme of things there are no moral issues involved in programming jobs.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No hacking, okay?

It is normal to wonder if God is suddenly going to call you to live in a grass hut and translate a Bible into a nearly-extinct language. It's good to be yielded like that, and ready for wherever He will bring you. But more likely, He wants you to live well where you already have responsibilities.

Roughly picture how many momentous stories there were in the Bible of people being sent to do something unusual. Moses had a calling to lead an enslaved group out of Egypt. Estimates now show there could have between 600,000 adult males and up to 3 million total Israelites. Even though they all relocated, only one person had the drastic calling to start something. The ratio was one man with a message, to millions that led fairly normal lives.

God works in all our lives, and I'm sure He spoke to individuals besides Miriam and Aaron about trusting Moses. What was the aim of the mission? Besides freedom from oppression, the mission was to dwell in the land God gave them.

Right now, you are dwelling in the land God gave you.

Use it wisely. Bear fruit. Treat others well. Glorify God in all that you do. There is no shame in living a decent, caring life.

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
There's nothing wrong with programming per se. It's fine to do it for a living - I've been doing it for a living for a long time now. The Lord sent me to my current job to look after a Christian cell group - and that's a big blessing. I remeber testifying to someone here at work last year - who became a reborn Christian right there. So, don't worry - the Lord can use you anywhere. :)

A large part of my old life was programming. I have 2.5 years of formal education in it, and a year of experience doing it professionally.

So as I come into a new life I am confused on where it should stand in my life. I want everything I do to be for the glory of God, but really the only reason I write code is that I love it. It challenges my mind, and I enjoy the way that feels.

I don't worship the computer. If my education has taught me anything, it is that a computer really is an incredibly stupid machine.

I know that Jesus was a carpenter, and maybe in the same way he built with wood, I can build with code.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
--Some verses --

Pr 16:3
Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.

Ex 20:9
Six days you shall labor and do all your work. But the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work - you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and consecrated it.

(Hrm... God says do programming on the weekend too!)

Pr 18:9
One who is slack in work is close kin to a vandal.

Pr 22:29
Do you see those who are skillful in their work? They will serve kings; they will not serve common people.

Pr 24:27
Prepare your work outside, get everything ready for you in the field; and after that build your house.

Job 1:10
You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.

Job 10:3
Does it seem good to you to oppress, to despise the work of your hands and favor the schemes of the wicked?

Ps 8:3
When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars that you have established

(God worked on something new, controversial and innovative)

Sir 7:15 --from Apocrypha
Do not hate hard labor or farm work, which was created by the Most High.

2Ti 2:6
It is the farmer who does the work who ought to have the first share of the crops.

2Th 3:12
Now such persons we command and exhort in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living.

There's also "occupy until I return" and setting aside the first tenth of the crops grown.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wells Marsh

Apr 21, 2010
Georgia
✟8,342.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sparks88;

You are quite possibly exactly where God has called you to be. He may have given you the very gifts necessary to be good at what you do and to enjoy it. Many have posted what the Word has to say and given good advice. My advice is to appreciate what you have and always be willing to change assignments if you believe the Lord wants you to.

Blessings

Upvote 0

Bouke285

It's not a sin to be wrong, but be wrong humbly!
Jul 3, 2008
Minnesota
Visit site
✟7,993.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hey, I'm in a similar situation, a few months ago I decided to take a life changing turn and go to school for Game Art. I love the game industry, but see how much change the industry needs. The games are losing any meaning now days, and my driving motivation is to both subtly and obviously bring God into some top selling titles.

I will actually be looking for a programmer with a similar mindset on the day in the rather far future I decide to start up my own studio. Technology is such a huge part of the world today, why not make God a part of that technology?

Upvote 0