Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Someone posted in GT that the EO view of the parable of the prodigal son is that both sons are lost.

I've never gotten around to asking about this. Could anyone confirm and/or shed some light on how this parable is taught?

Thank you!

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
my priest would always point out that neither son actually understood what the Father's house is all about. they both saw it as a contract, even the younger son when he repented thought that he was only worthy to be a hired hand. neither understood that the inheritance is always theirs not because of the good they have done (the older brother), but because they are sons.

personally, I often imagine as well that if the parable were to continue, that if the older brother would have come to himself and joined the party, he would have been given a seat of honor, and been embraced.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
my priest would always point out that neither son actually understood what the Father's house is all about. they both saw it as a contract, even the younger son when he repented thought that he was only worthy to be a hired hand. neither understood that the inheritance is always theirs not because of the good they have done (the older brother), but because they are sons.

personally, I often imagine as well that if the parable were to continue, that if the older brother would have come to himself and joined the party, he would have been given a seat of honor, and been embraced.

Very good points Matt, thank you.

And I like to imagine the older son would as well. :)

Upvote 0