Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Everytime I go out of town to check on parents, etc. I always check my fil's grave as well as my husband's grandparents.

When I go to my fil's grave, I straighten things up, pray, speak out loud. I usually say we love him and miss him.

Lately, I have been asking him to speak to Jesus about difficulties we are having here.

I know this is similar to asking for Saints to pray for us. But I wonder, do our loved ones hear us? Or are somehow aware of us trying to talk to them?

What are your thoughts or experiences with this type of thing?

IHOM

Jun 20, 2015
✟1,755.00
We believe in the communion of saints... at the consecration of the most blessed eucharist the gates of heaven are opened... heaven touches earth and our loved ones are with us beside us all around us in full communion with us... its not a metaphore its reality... yes our loved ones hear us, they are with us just as christ is with us as they are with him

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
No way to know if they hear us or are "with us" in more than a symbolic or very broad sense while we're still on this Earthly existence Michie.........I hope so but no strong convictions either way tbh. Lord knows I've spoken my share though; nothing to lose. :) And I hold onto faint hope that maybe I'll have some kind of feeling that they do before I exit.

PS that is hardly a silly or childish question!

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you Bill. I almost feel silly doing it but I still do it. It sounds horrible but I'm really surprised how much I miss him. Feels like there is a huge hole left without him in the family. He was a very devout man. He was not perfect but his imperfections were endearing. I really think he is in heaven. And I know if he can hear us and can help, he will. He helped people all the time when he was alive.

No way to know if they hear us or are "with us" in more than a symbolic or very broad sense while we're still on this Earthly existence Michie.........I hope so but no strong convictions either way tbh. Lord knows I've spoken my share though; nothing to lose. :) And I hold onto faint hope that maybe I'll have some kind of feeling that they do before I exit.

PS that is hardly a silly or childish question!

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Everytime I go out of town to check on parents, etc. I always check my fil's grave as well as my husband's grandparents.

When I go to my fil's grave, I straighten things up, pray, speak out loud. I usually say we love him and miss him.

Lately, I have been asking him to speak to Jesus about difficulties we are having here.

I know this is similar to asking for Saints to pray for us. But I wonder, do our loved ones hear us? Or are somehow aware of us trying to talk to them?

What are your thoughts or experiences with this type of thing?
If they are in heaven, if God allows it, yes. They are saints and part of the communion of Saints. You can pray to them asking them for prayers but not publicly since no one can know unless God revealed it from on high. I have similar thoughts about my family as well.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Aww! I'm so so sorry! :(

I am sober a little over three months now, but before that, on mom's birthday and Mother's Day, I would often climb the fence at the cemetery and sit at my mom's grave all night drinking Jameson's and crying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting! And congratulations. :)

I am sure that Mom guided me in reopening a relationship with her older brother. In a couple of months, I will take a seat on the board of director's in the family business.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Has anyone here ever felt like a departed loved one has interceded for them?
Awe man... Well now I'm at a loss as to what to think. Since this has happened to me I'm thinking my grandmother who has been dead for 30 years now would not allow this to happen, nor would my mother who has been dead for 2, but its God's call. I still pray to them and my in laws. My brother in law is very special to me. Maybe they need me to pray for them still. But interssession... I recall instances where interssession occurred but it could be Mary or the holy angels too.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes it is all a great mystery. But I think the only way I'd know or feel comfortable saying I think there may have been intercession is if there was a personal touch of some sort.

Awe man... Well now I'm at a loss as to what to think. Since this has happened to me I'm thinking my grandmother who has been dead for 30 years now would not allow this to happen, nor would my mother who has been dead for 2, but its God's call. I still pray to them and my in laws. My brother in law is very special to me. Maybe they need me to pray for them still. But interssession... I recall instances where interssession occurred but it could be Mary or the holy angels too.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Every night for 31 years I have asked my mother to pray for me and just in case I pray for her. Since becoming a father I ask for my father's special prayers every day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The thought that perhaps in God's mercy my mother has met our lost son in the sight of the Lord has brought me great peace. So I don't think its strange. Who knows what God in wisdom and mercy allows.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
All I know is prayers have been answered. Was it them? Maybe... I pray both for them and to them. I'll tell you some thing that just happened a few months back. We have this cat who got out and she was not seen anywhere. After two weeks I was desperate and cried and asked everybody, and padre pio because that's who my mom liked. Her ashes and his prayer card she kept for 30 years is in my China cabinet until we
burry her in my grandmother's tomb,. Anyway the joke is, im not a cat person and she was big time, said she could talk to them. Before she died she said I should get the kids a cat and I was like, no,I don't want a cat. So now she's here, we have three. I say she's got her cats now. So when the cat went missing I said to her these are your cats, talk to this cat and have her come back. That was a Tuesday and the next day at work somebody asked any news with the cat? And I felt she was gone for good. That night at 11 pm my son wakes me up and says she just ran down the street being chased by another cat. So was that a coincidence? Or did my mom talk to her and told her to come back? I also asked Pio to intercede too. I did take another week to get her in but we knew where she was hiding.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow! That sounds like your mom got the ball rolling for sure!

All I know is prayers have been answered. Was it them? Maybe... I pray both for them and to them. I'll tell you some thing that just happened a few months back. We have this cat who got out and she was not seen anywhere. After two weeks I was desperate and cried and asked everybody, and padre pio because that's who my mom liked. Her ashes and his prayer card she kept for 30 years is in my China cabinet until we
burry her in my grandmother's tomb,. Anyway the joke is, im not a cat person and she was big time, said she could talk to them. Before she died she said I should get the kids a cat and I was like, no,I don't want a cat. So now she's here, we have three. I say she's got her cats now. So when the cat went missing I said to her these are your cats, talk to this cat and have her come back. That was a Tuesday and the next day at work somebody asked any news with the cat? And I felt she was gone for good. That night at 11 pm my son wakes me up and says she just ran down the street being chased by another cat. So was that a coincidence? Or did my mom talk to her and told her to come back? I also asked Pio to intercede too. I did take another week to get her in but we knew where she was hiding.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think if strange things such as has my FIL met my dad I lost so young? Etc.
I thought, rather it's my hope that my mother in law has told my grandmother about my children... I know my mother can do so now. Its crazy when I think about the amount of loss. They are more of them up there then us here.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I speak to my loved ones when I visit their graves. I find it to be very comforting.

And when I visit an area where the Trail of Tears once went through, I speak to my ancestors and I touch the ground they once walked on.

I don't know if they can hear me or not, but I find it comforting. I feel I'm honoring their memory and acknowledging their suffering by speaking to them.

Upvote 0