Priests preach on the benefits of priestly celibacy?

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been reading a book on celibacy written by a Catholic priest. Near the end of the book he asks some questions:
Have bishops asked their priests to speak from their celibate experience about their ability to adhere more easily to Christ? (see Canon 277). Are celibate priests really freer to dedicate themselves to the service of God and humankind? Are their hearts really more undivided than the hearts of their brother priests who are married?
That made me stop and think. Have I ever heard a priest talk about the celibacy rule? Whether in a homily about vocations, or in more informal discussion, or in private conversations, I can not think of a time when that has occurred. Nor do I recall ever hearing a bishop or seminarian talk about it, in any context.

Since it is such a key aspect of religious vocations, and an obvious factor in making a decision to become a priest, I wonder why?

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Have I ever heard a priest talk about the celibacy rule? Whether in a homily about vocations, or in more informal discussion, or in private conversations, I can not think of a time when that has occurred. Nor do I recall ever hearing a bishop or seminarian talk about it, in any context.

Since it is such a key aspect of religious vocations, and an obvious factor in making a decision to become a priest, I wonder why
I’m wondering if it has to do with not knowing
exactly how to go about the topic with a
congregation which would include many married
individuals. Maybe they feel it would make married
people (in some cases; it would depend on the
couple in question) wonder if perhaps being
unmarried might’ve been a better choice for
themselves with regards to living for the Lord.

Just speculating, though.

-

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m wondering if it has to do with not knowing
exactly how to go about the topic with a congregation which would include many married
individuals. Maybe they feel it would make married people (in some cases; it would depend on the
couple in question) wonder if perhaps being unmarried might’ve been a better choice for
themselves with regards to living for the Lord.

Just speculating, though.
Thanks for your comments; speculation is welcome here.

I don't think a discussion of celibacy has to be handled in a way that makes it preferable to the married state. Married people also make a commitment regarding sexuality. The question was more focused on the need to promote vocations, and one of the aspects of a vocation to the priesthood is celibacy. If it were better for us to be single and celibate to "live for the Lord" than we have to explain Peter, the married guy who was proclaimed as the "rock" of the Church.

I have a feeling that bishops and priests would have a difficult time talking about this topic with parishioners for all kinds of reasons, and would prefer to not discuss it. Just like they would prefer not walking through a field populated with land mines.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
What's your opinion on 1 Corinthians 7? Paul says he wishes everyone would be celibate, but understands most aren't. But I've seen people in the OBOB suggest pretty much anyone has the gift of celibacy if they force themselves to accept it hard enough.
Sometimes I've wondered if the gift of celibacy is
something other than struggling to remain chaste.
Like, maybe those who are truly ‘gifted’ with celibacy
don’t have to force themselves to be so; it comes
naturally, namely in the form of asexuality. I’ve
always thought that when one is gifted in a certain area,
it comes more naturally for them and isn’t something
they constantly have to force themselves into.

-

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What's your opinion on 1 Corinthians 7? Paul says he wishes everyone would be celibate, but understands most aren't. But I've seen people in the OBOB suggest pretty much anyone has the gift of celibacy if they force themselves to accept it hard enough.
The statement "if they force themselves to accept it hard enough" is very telling. Celibacy is a charism, something that comes to us through the Holy Spirit; it should not require "force". Considering the fact that the first Apostles were not expected to be single and celibate, and that married priests were (and still are) accepted in the Church, the theology for the rule of celibacy is on very shaky ground.

I don't see Paul saying celibacy is best, but that the people he is addressing should accept their current situation (since the end times would be upon them soon anyway). Paul also reminds us that he had the right to a wife, but had chosen not to get married (or, as some speculate, that he was a widower and decided to remain one). But he also takes note of "apostles" in his communities who are married, in some cases to each other!

Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Sometimes I've wondered if the gift of celibacy is
something other than struggling to remain chaste.
Like, maybe those who are truly ‘gifted’ with celibacy
don’t have to force themselves to be so; it comes
naturally, namely in the form of asexuality. I’ve
always thought that when one is gifted in a certain area,
it comes more naturally for them and isn’t something
they constantly have to force themselves into.

-
That's kind of how I see it too. I think if something is called a gift, it's something one can embrace relatively easily and be ok with. If you have to constantly force yourself to try and maintain it, it's not what i would call a gift or a calling.

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have been reading a book on celibacy written by a Catholic priest. Near the end of the book he asks some questions:
That made me stop and think. Have I ever heard a priest talk about the celibacy rule? Whether in a homily about vocations, or in more informal discussion, or in private conversations, I can not think of a time when that has occurred. Nor do I recall ever hearing a bishop or seminarian talk about it, in any context.

Since it is such a key aspect of religious vocations, and an obvious factor in making a decision to become a priest, I wonder why?

If I am not mistaken, celibacy for priests was only instituted in a local council in Spain in the 4th century and was not universally practiced in the 1st millennium. It is still not mandated today in the Eastern Orthodox Church (which includes and developed from the ancient Sees of Antioch, Alexandria, Constantinople, and Jerusalem), but a priest must marry before being ordained if he chooses to marry. I also understand that priests in England could marry prior to the Norman Conquest.

I read some material on the Vatican web site that claimed there were prohibitions against priests marrying in the Apostolic Constitutions, but I believe that what was forbidden here (or maybe in some other canons) was that priests could not re-marry if their spouses died.

Upvote 0