Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Father Marcel Guarnizo, Maryland Priest, Denies Communion To Lesbian Parishioner At Her Mother's Funeral

A Maryland-based priest is garnering heat in the blogosphere today after allegedly denying communion to a lesbian parishioner attending her mother's funeral.

As The New Civil Rights Movement blogger David Badash is reporting, Father Marcel Guarnizo of Gaithersburg's Saint John Neumann Catholic Church reportedly covered the bowl containing the Eucharist as the woman, who is identified only as Barbara, approached him.

“I cannot give you communion because you live with a woman and that is a sin according to the church," he is quoted as saying.

Continued- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/27/maryland-priest-communion-lesbian-denial-_n_1304910.html

Foundthelight

St. Peter's R.C. Church, Delhi, NY
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Central New York
Visit site
✟26,728.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Who here hasn't sinned though?

I have sinned greatly. That is not an excuse for public sin which brings scandal on the name of Christ. To say that we must excuse public sin because we all sin is dead wrong.

Upvote 0

Needing_Grace

Chief of Sinners
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
✟11,799.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Father Marcel Guarnizo, Maryland Priest, Denies Communion To Lesbian Parishioner At Her Mother's Funeral

A Maryland-based priest is garnering heat in the blogosphere today after allegedly denying communion to a lesbian parishioner attending her mother's funeral.

Continued- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/27/maryland-priest-communion-lesbian-denial-_n_1304910.html

There is data missing from this article.

I do know this. It is most certainly not a sin for two women or two men to live in the same place unless they are having sexual relations with each other. Just being a lesbian or gay man and having roommate is not a sin.

Okay...wait for it...

Reactions: Joshua G.
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I feel intuitively that there is more to this story. How did said Priest know the woman was living with another woman ? How did the priest even know the woman ? Did the Priest speak to the woman about her lifestyle ? Is the woman a practicing Catholic ?

There seems to be a wide gap in the facts.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I feel intuitively that there is more to this story. How did said Priest know the woman was living with another woman ? How did the priest even know the woman ? Did the Priest speak to the woman about her lifestyle ? Is the woman a practicing Catholic ?

The article is from a gay activist website. They typically have an axe to grind against the Catholic Church, so of course they are going to leave out the important facts so that the priest will seem like a meanie.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sarcalogos Deus

Welch Ein Mensch!
Jan 1, 2010
Archdiocese of Oklahoma City
✟8,843.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

If the woman is a lesbian and living with a woman and if her mother was a devout Catholic I imagine the priest and the mother must have discussed it at some point.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is data missing from this article.

I do know this. It is most certainly not a sin for two women or two men to live in the same place unless they are having sexual relations with each other. Just being a lesbian or gay man and having roommate is not a sin.

Okay...wait for it...
Huffington Post. Some here like it & see it as legitimate journalism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When my oldest son made his First Communion, the celebrant was a wonderful, wonderful priest.

He saw occasions like weddings, funerals, First Communions, and Baptisms were an amazing opportunity for evangelization and an amazing opportunity for healing.

This priest had an amazing opportunity to evangelize and heal not only the bereaved daughter but the friends who gathered at Mass to offer her comfort and support.

And he blew it, totally and absolutely.

I look at it as a similar situation to Jesus healing on the Sabbath. The Pharisees (as epitomized by this priest and some of the posters on this thread) were like, "Ooh, he's breaking a rule."

And Jesus knew it was his mission, his vocation, his sacred vow to heal.

Unfortunately, today he can only heal through flawed humans such as this priest--and the priest chose to hurt rather than heal.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Fantine, as others have said, what the priest did was an act of love
he did not want this woman to eat to her own damnation
you think there can be healing if people do not repent of their sins? it is the sin that hurts people in the first place

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Rhamiel, I am talking from real life experience, and perhaps the rest of you are talking theoretically.

I have seen people driven away from Catholicism by Pharisaical priest go to other parishes and experience healing, have the impediments to their marriages removed, seen spouses baptized, etc., etc.

I have never seen a single individual who was helped by a judgmental priest.

By denying the bereaved Communion, he won a skirmish and lost the war.

What a tactical error.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I have never seen a single individual who was helped by a judgmental priest.

By denying the bereaved Communion, he won a skirmish and lost the war.

What a tactical error.

Upvote 0