1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

priest for life wins exemption from hhs

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Elysium, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Elysium

Elysium Guest

didnt see anyone post this
    i thought its a big deal so here you go

more here Victory: Priests for Life wins exemption from HHS mandate

thoughts?

2. JimR-OCDS

JimR-OCDS God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic

It was a PR stunt or a waste of legal money by Priest for Life who were exempt to begin with.

Also, the HHS mandate is still be re-written, and other institutions such as Catholic Colleges and Hospitals, will also be exempt.

Jim

3. Elysium

Elysium Guest

i knew that all along but geez ppl sure got their knickers in a twist over this
    saying its the end of freedom and saying the govt treats catholics like the nazis treated jews
    you know ppl being all overly dramatic and blowing things out of proportion

its like no one believes that a govt can be reasonable any more

4. JimR-OCDS

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Well, conservatives and those trying to create political bias against Obama.

However, the mandate was being worked on when it was first released and has been continued to be so.

My guess is that the HHS is fighting with the insurance and pharmaceutical corporations over it.

Jim

5. AMDG

AMDG Tenderized for Christ

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    You might want to check it out since according to the Bishops, not even Jesus and the apostles would qualify for that exemption. I think it's because Jesus' mission (and ours too) is to folks regardless of their religion. We don't just serve other Catholics. That's why Catholic colleges and Hospitals are not exempt. The Little Sisters of the Poor will be "run out" of business in the U.S. because they cannot afford the fines for not providing abortifacients and birth control in their health care insurance. Then there are a number of Christian colleges and business which are also effected.

Just like that one judge said, there is no 'wait and see and trust the government to make things right clause' in the Constitution. This devestation is coming at us like a locomotive speeding the track.

6. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic

will they be exempt?

The HHS mandate was going to cover Catholic Hospitals.

7. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    and even if Priests for Life would be exempt anyways, it is still good that we get the precedent set in place

8. JimR-OCDS

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    The Bishops were talking about the original language when the HHS mandate first came out. It was modified since and is still being modified and
    the court just ruled on the Belmont College case.

From an earlier thread;

Jim

9. WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel I close my eyes and see you smile Supporter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Catholic
  10. WarriorAngel

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I didnt think we could give quotes without links...
    Except for ECF's?

Anyway since i dont know the date of the above - Nov 14, 12 is most recent news on hospitals.

Catholic bishops pledge defiance on HHS mandate « Hot Air
    A top American bishop said Tuesday the Roman Catholic church will not comply with the Obama administration requirement that most employers provide health insurance covering birth control.
    New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan, president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, said church leaders are open to working toward a resolution with federal officials, but will meanwhile press ahead with challenges to the mandate in legislatures and in court.
    “The only thing we’re certainly not prepared to do is give in. We’re not violating our consciences,” Dolan told reporters at a national bishops’ meeting. “I would say no door is closed except for the door to capitulation.”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "White House Misrepresents Its Own Contraceptive Mandate" To justify its widely-criticized mandate for contraception and sterilization coverage in private health plans, the Obama administration posted a set of false and misleading claims on the White House blog (“Health Reform, Preventive Services, and Religious Institutions,” February 1). This USCCB fact sheet quotes and responds to each claim in turn.

http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-act...upload/Response-to-WH-Blog-on-HHS-Mandate.pdf

Which came from this...
    Conscience Protection

Appeals court directs Obama administration to rewrite HHS mandate : News Headlines - Catholic Culture

Though there is no guarantee that revisions to the HHS mandate will be to the colleges’ satisfaction, Belmont Abbey College President William Thierfelder hailed the decision.
    “Christmas came early this year,” he said. “The DC Circuit Federal Court of Appeals' ruling is a major victory for Belmont Abbey College in its challenge to the HHS mandate. The two concessions made by the government lawyers in court to never enforce the current mandate against Belmont Abbey College and to publish a proposed new rule by the end of the first quarter in 2013, are the answers to our prayers.”

Plainly - the above quote from Jim - shows only a college - and not even possibly satisfactory as of yet!

Overall - not so much.

11. WarriorAngel

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Catholic
    NOT to mention all the resources the Catholic Church has to put into fighting something that never ever should have been mandated to begin with. Money that could have been used for the poor.

12. Elysium

Elysium Guest

thats why i made this thread
    i think it is a good start and a good precedent