Priest abused every young boy at regional Victorian school

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Most Popular: Priest abused every young boy at regional Victorian school: inquiry
http://ab.co/1Ahlaik

"Father Dennehy told the Catholic Church's insurance investigator that he thought every male child between the ages of 10 years and 16 years, who were at the school, had been molested by Ridsdale," she said.

Ms Furness said Ridsdale was a "prolific offender" during his time at Mortlake.

"There will be evidence that his behaviour around boys was no secret," she said.

She also told the inquiry Cardinal George Pell - who later became Archbishop of Sydney and now oversees the Vatican's finances - was one of seven present at a meeting in September 1982 where Bishop Ronald Mulkearns discussed the need to remove Ridsdale from the school.

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's horrifying that such a thing can be allowed to go on and that the priest was allowed to remain in ministry afterwards by the bishop of his diocese. That the Church can just go on and not force these bishops who remain in ministry out and that the state is not jailing them are tremendous scandals and failures on their part. How such an organization can claim to be a moral authority when bishops act in it's name allow this and are never held to account is beyond me.

It's also a systematic flaw in church governance. It is time to end the era of unaccountable bishops and pray, pay, and obey. The people of a diocese should have a role in selecting their bishops, and telling them when to go, and to be told the full truth about any priests that may be assigned to them and be able to reject some candidates to minister at their parishes. When a priest commits a heinous crime like this, he needs to immediately be removed from ministry and jailed (Australia did jail him, and good for them), and when a bishop is an accomplice after the fact, he needs to be stripped of his authority for good and tried and convicted if he is guilty of a crime like reassigning a priest where he can molest more children. At least this priest was re-assigned to a job where he wouldn't have contact with children, but he should have been defrocked and reported to the police, and there were many more priests who were reassigned to places where they could abuse again, which to me is a criminal act on the part of the bishops.

That Cardinal Law had a prominent role in JP2's funeral mass is a disgrace. Just seeing that should have been a vivid reminder to people why JP2's Sainthood cause should not have been pushed forward as fast as it was. He failed to get rid of these people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
It's horrifying that such a thing can be allowed to go on and that the priest was allowed to remain in ministry afterwards by the bishop of his diocese. That the Church can just go on and not force these bishops who remain in ministry out and that the state is not jailing them are tremendous scandals and failures on their part.
Bishop Mulkearns certainly behaved in a way that was illegal at the time (misprision of felony) but to prove it in court needed evidence that he knew not just about molestation but actual sex, and that could not be proved at the time, despite the high number of priests, including Msg Day, under his control behaving in this way. Since then misprision of felony was removed from the statute books, under the assumption that any reasonable person would report such felonies without being required to by law. Manditory reporting laws do not back-date, and until recently were quite narrow in their terms in Victoria.

He is now, of course, retired (though he is still a practicing priest).

What's particularly interesting is the suggestion that George Pell, then just a priest, knew more about it back then than he has so far let on.

How such an organization can claim to be a moral authority when bishops act in it's name allow this and are never held to account is beyond me.
Have you read Potiphar's Wife?

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
When I hear this crap I boil over with anger. I Lived through the Boston molestation crisis and witnessed the coverup by the church, and I had to stomach that scum bag Cardinal Bernard Law. The institutionalized church is on a short leash for me, and I generally don't trust the hierachy.

But thank God my faith and salvation resides in Christ.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
How such an organization can claim to be a moral authority when bishops act in it's name allow this and are never held to account is beyond me.
The Church is the moral authority because Christ made it so. Christ walked with sinners, including the one he knew would betray him, the one who would deny him, and two who fought for power. That the men in the Church are sinful has nothing to do with the moral authority of the Church. Also, they will meet their reward when they deign to knock on the Pearly Gates, regardless of if they're caught here on earth. Bishops have a higher standard to live up to.

Reactions: Angeldove97
Upvote 0

frenchdefense

Feb 25, 2009
✟18,286.00
Faith
Catholic
Ok

How does this keep going on ?

I'm beginning to think this isn't a systemic problem as much an institutional one.

What I mean by that is that it isn't how the church is managed (the systems) but that the institution of the priesthood is fundamentally flawed.

I'm not talking about married priest vs unmarried vs women priest vs. homosexual priest. What I'm saying is this (I'm trying to make this very clear, forgive me)

Something is tragically wrong with the way the priesthood is and how priests view themselves and each other.

Like cops. The good one would never rat out the bad ones. Why ?

Because they're all cops and cops don't rat out other cops.

Same thing only with god-like powers. Priests can loose sinners from sin, change wine and bread into the body and blood of Christ, create unifying bonds between people that can't be broken.

Do they view themselves and each other as above review and reproach because of what they are?

I'm seriously beginning to think yes.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Where is the Pope on this, and his promise to discipline bishops who didn't deal adequately with these priests?
The Royal Commission asked for the documentation. Ther RCC declined to provide what any other institution has to provide.

which leaves the allegation that it's canon law and the church heirarchy that are ultimately to blame unanswered.

It's still the case that Bishops can only report offending clery to the police where the law requires them to (rarely the case), and back in Mulkearns time it forbade him reporting it to the police at all.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Ok

I'm beginning to think this isn't a systemic problem as much an institutional one.

What I mean by that is that it isn't how the church is managed (the systems) but that the institution of the priesthood is fundamentally flawed.

I'm not talking about married priest vs unmarried vs women priest vs. homosexual priest. What I'm saying is this (I'm trying to make this very clear, forgive me)

Something is tragically wrong with the way the priesthood is and how priests view themselves and each other.

Same thing only with god-like powers. Priests can loose sinners from sin, change wine and bread into the body and blood of Christ, create unifying bonds between people that can't be broken.

Do they view themselves and each other as above review and reproach because of what they are?

There's good evidence that was part of the problem. Not just in the RCC, but within the Salvos and other organisations with the same problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Top Stories: Pell denies offering bribe to paedophile priest's victim
http://ab.co/1ILe1K2

Unfortunate, unless the Vatican decides to comply with the Royal Commissions previous request (assuming it's kept any paperwork) nobody will ever know.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok

I think we need to work toward more of a balance between clerical authority and self-governance from lay people in the pews. We are all the Church, not just the bishops, priests, and deacons. Congregationalism, where lay people basically control everything in each congregation, as some Protestant groups have, has it's own problems and I wouldn't want to go to that extreme.

However, could there perhaps be a middle way here? The Episcopal Church, as an example, has an elected vestry (parish council) that makes the financial decisions for the parish and, provided that the parish is self-sustaining (i.e. needs no funds from the dioceses and is able to tithe 10% of their parish revenues to the diocese), have the vestry hire the priest in consultation with the bishop. Then the priest is in charge of spiritual matters. And in practice the vestry and the priest wind up collaborating a lot, and the vestry can be voted out if the parish doesn't approve of how they are running things.

At the diocesan level in the Episcopal Church, the bishop is elected by the people of the diocese when there is a vacancy, and then must be affirmed by the majority of other bishops in the country and a majority of lay leaders representing other dioceses before he is consecrated and installed. There are representatives from every parish who vote in diocesan conventions on matters that effect the diocese.

Decisions at the very top of the Episcopal Church are made at a national convention every three years, which has two "houses"- a house of bishops with all the nation's bishops, and another house that has lay people, priests, and deacons. All decisions and changes must get majority votes in both houses.

I like that dynamic of a mixture of clerical and lay authority, and the interactions between them and also between the parish, the diocese and the national church. That's not to say it's perfect. I can't help but think in a world where parishes get a big say in picking their own priests and dicoeses get a big saying in picking their own bishops, and then those clerics share control with lay people, it would be much harder for a scandal like the sexual abuse thing to really take hold. You think a priest who abuses children would be allowed to stay around for long or hired by another parish if the parish had a say? How about a bishop who shuffles around priests who abuse children?

Also, in general, the culture of clericism is replaced by a culture of servant-leaders where there is accountability.

I am not saying the Roman Catholic Church should straight out adopt the Episcopal Church's mode of government, but I think that they should look at moving in that direction or something along those lines.

Clearly, a circular system where the Popes appoint bishops and the bishops assign bishops, and at each level clerics have absolute authority is not working. And, you're right, there are cultural issues where clerics have the equivalent of the old police blue code of silence and protect each other even when they commit crimes. I also think there are some Catholics who have it so deeply ingrained in them that priests are above them and holy that they will excuse anything. There are Catholic priests who've abused children who's parishioners want to "give them another chance" at times, according to articles, and you just wonder what in the world is wrong with these parishioners? We need to get rid of the days of pray, pay, and obey; and make parishioners players in determining how things are run. Respect for priests is good, but blind obedience and an inability to see when they are preying on innocents and the severity of that behavior indicates that things have gone too far and the culture has become toxic in some respects.

The Spirit of Vatican II is that the baptized are the Church. If that is ignored by the people in charge for too much longer, they may face a second Reformation. The last one was a Protestant Reformation, this one may be a schism. Alternately, in this day and age, people may just walk away from church and never come back at all- to any church. I think that last scenario is what's happening in many respects. The large number of Catholic immigrants to the United States is papering it over here in some respects, but look at how many ex-Catholics there are and what mass attendence numbers look like relative to the number of the baptized. Instead of nailing thesises to the door, people are just saying "You know what? I'll be back when I get married for the wedding, when my baby is born for the baptism, and when I die for the funeral. Other than that, I'll practice my religion at home." or "You know what? Who needs church anyway?".

Clerics seem to think because there hasn't been a large scale schism that the people are buying into their stuff, but people don't really do schism anymore, they do sleeping in on Sundays.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What you are basically saying is people may leave the Church if we don't let them rule the Church. That is what tears protestants apart.

If we keep the people that want to leave and let them govern, then the Church will be torn to shreds. They don't leave the Church because they don't have a voice, they leave the Church because they do not like what she has to say.
Bishops appointing other bishops who appoint deacons and priests is the appropriate model.

The dioceses selected their own bishops for many centuries in the early Church between Apostolic times and when rising national governments and Rome started wrestling for control of selection of bishops with each other sometime after 1000AD. It would be the bishops of the surrounding dioceses who would come consecrate them, which gave them a defacto veto, but I don't think it was used often. And, of course, in the early church, often bishops were more directly the pastors of people. They'd all gather together on Sunday in big cities and celebrate what we would today refer to as mass together with the bishop presiding. So, in a sense, they were choosing not only their own bishop, but also their own pastor (A role today filled by priests).

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Spirit of Vatican II is that the baptized are the Church.
The so-called "Spirit of Vatican II" is the spirit of the Antichrist because it is a lie and has nothing to do with the Second Vatican Council. The "Spirit of Vatican II" is typically used as justification for saying "we are Church" to say that we don't need the bishops. It is true that the baptized are the Church but not apart from the leadership of the bishops.

"This Church constituted and organized in the world as a society, subsists in the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successor of Peter and by the Bishops in communion with him, although many elements of sanctification and of truth are found outside of its visible structure. These elements, as gifts belonging to the Church of Christ, are forces impelling toward catholic unity." - Vatican II

"They are fully incorporated in the society of the Church who, possessing the Spirit of Christ accept her entire system and all the means of salvation given to her, and are united with her as part of her visible bodily structure and through her with Christ, who rules her through the Supreme Pontiff and the bishops." - Vatican II

"This Sacred Council, following closely in the footsteps of the First Vatican Council, with that Council teaches and declares that Jesus Christ, the eternal Shepherd, established His holy Church, having sent forth the apostles as He Himself had been sent by the Father; and He willed that their successors, namely the bishops, should be shepherds in His Church even to the consummation of the world." - Vatican II

"Because the human race today is joining more and more into a civic, economic and social unity, it is that much the more necessary that priests, by combined effort and aid, under the leadership of the bishops and the Supreme Pontiff, wipe out every kind of separateness, so that the whole human race may be brought into the unity of the family of God." - Vatican II

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
wow, this is really horrible

are the priests involved in this arrested?
Some are
Some were already dead before it came to light

The bishop is living in comfortable retirement. He had a stroke a few years ago, and although he is now in good health he claims he can't remember anything about it so he won't even appear before the royal commision to face questioning. He didn't keep any records about it - at least in Australia.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Some are
Some were already dead before it came to light

The bishop is living in comfortable retirement. He had a stroke a few years ago, and although he is now in good health he claims he can't remember anything about it so he won't even appear before the royal commision to face questioning. He didn't keep any records about it - at least in Australia.

ok, seems like this case is getting handled then

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
ok, seems like this case is getting handled then
Well, not really.
In the indivudual case this priest has gone to jail for some relatively minor offences. Iirc the more serious stuff lacked enough evidence, no doubt in part due to Mulkearn not keeping records or reporting stuff at the time.

The Royal Commission isn't about bringing the individual abusers to justice, important though that is.

It's about examining how the institutions failed to respond appropriately at time.

In the case of the RCC (but nobody else) that's hampered by the Vatican's refusal to hand over documentation of how they handled allegations.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
To add:

Mulkearns has obviously got off scot free, despite undeniably acting seriously immorally, and almost certainly illegally, at the time.

And if George Pell knew anything at time, but failed to act, then that raises serious questions about him.

It's important to understand how institutions - not just the RCC - allowed this stuff to go on and to make sure the systems and thinking that allowed it really is dealt with. Current issues about abuse of children in detention make it clear that cannot be taken for granted even in a governement/commercial situation. The secrecy that is still operating about it the RCC is a serious problem.

Upvote 0