Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True, but their lives will forever be embedded in the history books.
Another important concern is, who is going to fill the void when the Castro brothers pass on?

fidel-castro.jpg

That explains the cool breeze under my feet.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Relations with Cuba should have been normalized when the USSR collapsed.
It's a shame the Bay of Pigs invasion failed.......I didn't know JFK smoked Cuban cigars? Wonder if Obama will get hooked on them:

http://cuba-embargo.procon.org/

President Kennedy approved a 1961 plan to train and arm Cuban exiles trying to overthrow Castro's communist regime, but the Apr. 17, 1961 Bay of Pigs invasion failed when the Cuban military defeated the outnumbered US-backed forces. [33]
The situation became more dire when a US spy plane observed the Soviet Union shipping nuclear missiles to Cuba.

On Feb. 3, 1962, President Kennedy signed Proclamation 3447 (effective date Feb. 7, 1962) to declare "an embargo upon all trade between the United States and Cuba." [35] The night before he signed the embargo, JFK sent his Press Secretary, Pierre Salinger, to procure as many Cuban cigars as he could find. Salinger returned with a stash of 1,200 Petit Upmann

[Presdient John F. Kennedy smoking a cigar.
Source: "JFK Cigar - From The Raleigh Degeer Amyx Collection - John F. Kennedy," blog.americanheritage1.com (accessed Dec. 17, 2012)]

811QUDBYGTL._SY355_.jpg

242933B500000578-0-image-m-19_1418991466255.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-22_13-21-48.jpeg
    upload_2016-3-22_13-21-48.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a shame the Bay of Pigs invasion failed.......I didn't know JFK smoked Cuban cigars? Wonder if Obama will get hooked on them:

http://cuba-embargo.procon.org/

President Kennedy approved a 1961 plan to train and arm Cuban exiles trying to overthrow Castro's communist regime, but the Apr. 17, 1961 Bay of Pigs invasion failed when the Cuban military defeated the outnumbered US-backed forces. [33]
The situation became more dire when a US spy plane observed the Soviet Union shipping nuclear missiles to Cuba.

On Feb. 3, 1962, President Kennedy signed Proclamation 3447 (effective date Feb. 7, 1962) to declare "an embargo upon all trade between the United States and Cuba." [35] The night before he signed the embargo, JFK sent his Press Secretary, Pierre Salinger, to procure as many Cuban cigars as he could find. Salinger returned with a stash of 1,200 Petit Upmann

[Presdient John F. Kennedy smoking a cigar.
Source: "JFK Cigar - From The Raleigh Degeer Amyx Collection - John F. Kennedy," blog.americanheritage1.com (accessed Dec. 17, 2012)]

811QUDBYGTL._SY355_.jpg

images

The US has a long history of telling people to shake off their aggressors and then bugging out.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The US has a long history of telling people to shake off their aggressors and then bugging out.
Iraq comes to mind.........

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...e-and-progress-to-millions-as-bush-vowed?lite

Iraq, 10 years on: Did invasion bring 'hope and progress' to millions as Bush vowed?

n the ten years since guided bombs brought "shock and awe" to Baghdad, almost 4,500 troops and 130,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed and Saddam Hussein has been captured and executed in a mission that has cost nearly $2 trillion. NBC's Richard Engel reports.

“The infrastructure, and the services … were bad, but now it is even worse.”

Mohammad Jabir, 33, unemployed with two children:

“There isn’t ... one good service. It has gone from bad to worse.”

Iraq is a rich country when it comes to natural resources.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
http://www.texastribune.org/2016/03/22/obama-visits-cuba-thousands-flee-texas-border/
From October 2015 to February 2016, more than 18,500 Cubans arrived at Texas’ Laredo field office of U.S. Customs and Border Protection, which includes ports from Del Rio to Brownsville. If that trend continues, it will shatter last year’s numbers for the same ports, when a record 28,371 crossed. During the 2015 fiscal year, more than 43,150 arrived at the 20 CBP field offices in the United States that process immigrants. More than half — 25,800 — arrived in only the first five months of the current fiscal year.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I never said Trump arrested anybody. Sorry if my post confused you....

Oh my bad I thought you were making a joke. Most people understand the difference between protestors getting arrested because they are breaking the law and protestors getting arrested just because they are protestors.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Party pooper........

......................."While it's possible that the above-displayed quote is authentic, we are skeptical since there is no official record of this statement.
Solans appears to be reporting an amusing anecdote, not a news event, in order to convey how hopeless the situation between Cuba and the United States appeared to be in the 1970s.

In fact, an article published in the Havana Times in December 2014 noted that this alleged Fidel Castro quote is a common joke in Cuba:..............."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,550.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Oh my bad I thought you were making a joke. Most people understand the difference between protestors getting arrested because they are breaking the law and protestors getting arrested just because they are protestors.
The point was the irony of telling people that Cubans were being arrested before Obama arrived, when people have been arrested before Trump (used only as a comparison) has arrived at some rallies....Basically, I believe the fact that people were arrested in Cuba is a non-issue.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
http://www.texastribune.org/2016/03/22/obama-visits-cuba-thousands-flee-texas-border/
From October 2015 to February 2016, more than 18,500 Cubans arrived at Texas’ Laredo field office of U.S. Customs and Border Protection, which includes ports from Del Rio to Brownsville. If that trend continues, it will shatter last year’s numbers for the same ports, when a record 28,371 crossed. During the 2015 fiscal year, more than 43,150 arrived at the 20 CBP field offices in the United States that process immigrants. More than half — 25,800 — arrived in only the first five months of the current fiscal year.

I wonder what the fate of the wet foot dry foot laws will be now that the embargo is over and relations are normalizing?

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The point was the irony of telling people that Cubans were being arrested before Obama arrived, when people have been arrested before Trump (used only as a comparison) has arrived at some rallies....Basically, I believe the fact that people were arrested in Cuba is a non-issue.
Protestors who were arrested because they wanted to speak out about their government is a non-issue?

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder what the fate of the wet foot dry foot laws will be now that the embargo is over and relations are normalizing?

The embargo is still in place.

But I think it is time to end the "wet foot dry foot" status given to Cubans. There's no reason Cubans should have a free pass.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am still of the opinion that President Bush should be put on trial for war crimes for encouraging the Kurds and fight against the Saddam regime then doing nothing to stop that same regime from crushing them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_uprisings_in_Iraq

It got a lot of good people killed and ensured that Saddam would stay in power for another decade.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would be happy if he stayed there, am tired of the apology tours...

You'll be disappointed to hear the President made a powerful case for democracy and free enterprise in front of Raul Castro and his entire Communist party....with the speech broadcast live across Cuba. Such an event would have been unthinkable just 2 years ago. The President represented our values very well and without apology. As one Cuban citizen noted, he was the first American President who had the courage to come to our country and speak the truth. It was a historic day whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?407090-1/president-obama-address-cuban-people

Last edited:
Upvote 0