Presbyterian V.S. Catholic

I know this is a weird question, but what is the diff. between Presbyterian and Catholic? I'm trying to get me and my b/f more into church and things like that but he is Presbyterian and I am Catholic, we want to go to church together, and if it comes down to it I'll convert, but I'd first like to know all the pro's and con's of each. Thanxz!

I can eat 50 eggs

what we have here is a failure to communicate
Oct 3, 2002
Hampstead, Maryland
Visit site
✟16,632.00
Faith
Christian
whoa there!
first, there are a TON of differences between the two churches. I would really really really suggest you NOT convert for a boyfriend, especially at age 15! I know it may not seem like it now, but, most likely, in 2 years you will no longer be a couple, but you will still have your relationship with God.

MAJOR differences (and I'm not an expert on presby's so help me out here)
1. Sola Scriptura. Presby's, and all protestants believe in only the bible as the source of beliefs and doctorine, while the RCC (Roman Catholic Church) teaches that the Bible, and the teachings of the church are the guide for believers lifes.
2. Sola Fide. Protestants believe that your salvation is based solely upon your faith in Christ, while the RCC believes that it starts with faith in christ, but is also dependent on how you live your life.
3. the Eucharist. The RCC teaches that the body and blood is really and truly present in the Eucharist, while presby's see it as only a symbol used to remember Christ.
4. Sacraments. Presby's don't have them....

would you like more info on any of these?

Upvote 0

Dawn Marie

Soda for Wine
Oct 27, 2002
Ontario
✟19,684.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
Neither one is better than the other. They are not THAT different. Though I will admit there are a few small differences.

I have to agree with the person who can eat 50 eggs... do not convert for your boyfriend. You should only convert if you honestly disagree with Catholicism or whatever.

You can still go to church together. Christians are Christians.

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
... seems strange to convert just because of someone, after all, this is a personal relationship between you and God alone. I would suggest you to make a thread in the Interdenominational dialogue forum for more in depth insights, and pray about it more before making a decision.

Upvote 0
XangelX said:
Neither one is better than the other. They are not THAT different. Though I will admit there are a few small differences.

I have to agree with the person who can eat 50 eggs... do not convert for your boyfriend. You should only convert if you honestly disagree with Catholicism or whatever.

You can still go to church together. Christians are Christians.
I talked about it w/ one of mah friends that is presbyterian and he said that there is really no diff. other than Catholic's are more strict. He also said that we could get married in a Presbyterian church (if we were to get married) and our children could be baptised Catholic (if we one day do have children). Thanxz though.

Upvote 0

set free in Christ

Sep 23, 2003
robbinville nc
Visit site
✟182.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You have the same situation that me and my wife had. I was Methodist, she Catholic. We both thought we were christians but we were not. We got married in the Catholic church.

My most important question is do you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Do you know him personally thru the Holy Spirit. In some church terms..."are you saved". That is the most important question.

I don't quite agree that there are not that many diffenences. One day I was at church with her and I flipped out when I found out that the priest was going to go out to the parking lot and "bless the cars". I had never heard of doing such a thing. Going to the priest to confess your sins. Pergatory, praying for the dead. Like I said I was not a christian at the time, now I am. I even think at one time they refered to the pope as "God on earth".. correct me if I was wrong then or now. I figured every time the pope died they elected a new god. He (th pope) is no diffenent of a man than I am. Also I do not look to the "church" for guidance... I look to the holy spirit.

Upvote 0