Pregnant Woman Pleads With Cop Who Pulled Out Gun During Traffic Stop: 'My Water Broke!'

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
"The couple was driving to the hospital at 1 a.m. when a patrol car appeared behind them.

“I said, ‘James, we can’t stop, we don’t have time to stop. My water had actually broken,” said Dana.

Instead of pulling over, James called 911. “You have an officer trying to pull you over?” asked the dispatcher. “Yes, and my wife won't let me stop,” said James.

“Your best bet right now is to pull over and explain the situation to them,” said the dispatcher.

But when he pulled over - all hell broke loose.

“On the ground! On your face now! Get on your [bleeping] face!” yelled the officer.

James recounted: “I rolled out of the car onto the ground and continued to try to tell him - that my wife is having a baby - he wasn't having it."

Now you're going to be in the Lake County jail when your kid is born. That's what's going to happen,” said a cop.

“Did you taze him?” asked another cop.

“No,” replied another officer.

“It's not too late, is it?” said a cop.

“You want to get [bleeping] tazed?” the officer asked James.

At one point, the cops discussed destroying the dashcam video. “I'll get rid of the video,” said one. “Oh, I don't care about that,” said another.

Twenty minutes passed and finally an ambulance arrived to take Dana to the hospital 10 miles away. Her husband was hauled away to jail
The police department said that the offiers did nothing wrong. "

http://news.yahoo.com/pregnant-woman-pleads-cop-pulled-203311167.html

In 2012 a husband driving his wife in labor to the hospital were pulled over and threatened, harassed, and arrested by the police. The video of the incident was released last week.

When the driver, James Reiner pulled over and was told to get out of the car and get on the ground face down, he did exactly as he was told. He obeyed the cops orders, but that did not de-escalate the situation. He was polite, obeyed the police orders, and still was harassed and threatened by the police, then taken to jail.

There's a dashcam video recording the stop. Despite being 100% compliant with the officer after being pulled over, they still threatened to taze him while he was already detained and lying face down on the ground. They didn't care that they were being recorded while discussing this, although one officer offered to destroy the evidence. It appears the officer that didn't care about being recorded was justified, as even with review, the police department stood by the actions of these officers.

Full video of the traffic stop can be seen here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/24/dash-cam-shows-cops-pulling-gun-on-couple-during-traffic-stop/

Protect and serve?

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"The couple was driving to the hospital at 1 a.m. when a patrol car appeared behind them.

“I said, ‘James, we can’t stop, we don’t have time to stop. My water had actually broken,” said Dana.

Instead of pulling over, James called 911. “You have an officer trying to pull you over?” asked the dispatcher. “Yes, and my wife won't let me stop,” said James.

“Your best bet right now is to pull over and explain the situation to them,” said the dispatcher.

But when he pulled over - all hell broke loose.

“On the ground! On your face now! Get on your [bleeping] face!” yelled the officer.

James recounted: “I rolled out of the car onto the ground and continued to try to tell him - that my wife is having a baby - he wasn't having it."

Now you're going to be in the Lake County jail when your kid is born. That's what's going to happen,” said a cop.

“Did you taze him?” asked another cop.

“No,” replied another officer.

“It's not too late, is it?” said a cop.

“You want to get [bleeping] tazed?” the officer asked James.

At one point, the cops discussed destroying the dashcam video. “I'll get rid of the video,” said one. “Oh, I don't care about that,” said another.

Twenty minutes passed and finally an ambulance arrived to take Dana to the hospital 10 miles away. Her husband was hauled away to jail
The police department said that the offiers did nothing wrong. "

http://news.yahoo.com/pregnant-woman-pleads-cop-pulled-203311167.html

In 2012 a husband driving his wife in labor to the hospital were pulled over and threatened, harassed, and arrested by the police. The video of the incident was released last week.

When the driver, James Reiner pulled over and was told to get out of the car and get on the ground face down, he did exactly as he was told. He obeyed the cops orders, but that did not de-escalate the situation. He was polite, obeyed the police orders, and still was harassed and threatened by the police, then taken to jail.

There's a dashcam video recording the stop. Despite being 100% compliant with the officer after being pulled over, they still threatened to taze him while he was already detained and lying face down on the ground. They didn't care that they were being recorded while discussing this, although one officer offered to destroy the evidence. It appears the officer that didn't care about being recorded was justified, as even with review, the police department stood by the actions of these officers.

Full video of the traffic stop can be seen here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/24/dash-cam-shows-cops-pulling-gun-on-couple-during-traffic-stop/

Protect and serve?

God help us!

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,955.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I think what's most disturbing is the offer to destroy the evidence. How often do cops follow through on that impulse?

And why are they not being disciplined for that in and of itself?

Upvote 0

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's the 'brotherhood' mentality found among a lot of departments. They defend their fellow cop over the civilians they're sworn to protect and serve (well maybe sworn is the wrong word. I have no idea if they take any actual vows or oaths).

That cop that offered to destroy the cam was probably not wanting to deal with the controversy of the pregnant woman whose water broke, so that they could invent their own narrative as to why her husband was arrested.

Upvote 0

heatedmonk

Salvations Math: 3 Nails + 1 Cross= 4 Given
Sep 20, 2015
✟2,498.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That's why this father to be should have told that 911 operator his tag number, asked her to contact the patrol office and they could then send out an alert and find the thug that was behind them and alert that thug to the situation. And tell him to follow the car to the emergency entrance due to that situation.
I hate stories like this. Far too often criminals seek to get behind the badge so they can rule undetected with the power of the badge bolstering their evil. This is one such case. May God's justice prevail.

There are those officers committed to protect and serve.
And then there are those who are evil and are committed to terrify and assault. I don't miss them when they're no longer here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The worst parts are when they threaten/taunt the father and when one cop offers to erase the video. Those are the times when I don't see how anyone could argue that the cops were in the right.

Nice to know that there are some terrible people who don't discriminate and are equal-opportunity jerks, I guess. :confused:

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's the 'brotherhood' mentality found among a lot of departments. They defend their fellow cop over the civilians they're sworn to protect and serve (well maybe sworn is the wrong word. I have no idea if they take any actual vows or oaths).

That cop that offered to destroy the cam was probably not wanting to deal with the controversy of the pregnant woman whose water broke, so that they could invent their own narrative as to why her husband was arrested.

The cop won't need to invent a narrative to arrest the man. Im pretty sure fleeing the police is still a felony in every state.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I meant additional charges.

Ok? I can't see why they'd need them. Realistically, this guy won't face the felony fleeing charges...I can't imagine a prosecutor liking this case. They'll probably drop the felony charge and find some misdemeanor charge for him to plead to for a slap on the wrist. Time served or some small fine.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The cop won't need to invent a narrative to arrest the man. Im pretty sure fleeing the police is still a felony in every state.
There's this thing called "duress".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Was he speeding? Was he attempting to "flee" from anyone? What's the reason again why he was out there driving with his wife in the car?

Just as a side note: The doctor said when she finally got to the hospital, that the delay in getting to the hospital could've killed the baby.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Was he speeding? Was he attempting to "flee" from anyone? What's the reason again why he was out there driving with his wife in the car?

Just as a side note: The doctor said when she finally got to the hospital, that the delay in getting to the hospital could've killed the baby.

If a cop attempts to pull you over, and you don't pull over, you're fleeing the police.

That's not according to me or the cop...that's the law. I suppose there could be some state where it's different...but I don't think so.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
If a cop attempts to pull you over, and you don't pull over, you're fleeing the police.

That's not according to me or the cop...that's the law. I suppose there could be some state where it's different...but I don't think so.

It was clear that this man was "fleeing", right. What speed was he going again?

When the officer(s) saw clearly that there's a pregnant woman and that her water broke, what did he do again?

He still determined that this man, this husband and very soon-to-be-father, was a bona fide criminal, up to no good, and so was that woman, pretending to be pregnant, to hide her criminality. This calls for a gun, and while we're at it, let's taser him while he's laying there face down.

Seriously?

(By the way, you didn't respond to the 3rd and 4th sentences of post #19.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It was clear that this man was "fleeing", right. What speed was he going again?

When the officer(s) saw clearly that there's a pregnant woman and that her water broke, what did he do again?

He still determined that this man, this husband and very soon-to-be-father, was a bona fide criminal, up to no good, and so was that woman, pretending to be pregnant, to hide her criminality. This calls for a gun, and while we're at it, let's taser him while he's laying there face down.

Seriously?

(By the way, you didn't respond to the 3rd and 4th sentences of post #19.)

I was under the impression that no one actually got tasered. Did they?

I don't know why the cop initially tried to pull the guy over, did the article say?

It wouldn't matter if the guy was speeding while he fled or if he was going exactly the speed limit...it's still fleeing.

It sounds like once the officer saw there was a pregnant woman ready to give birth, he called for an ambulance.

When cops pull over a known felon (which is what the guy is considered once he fled) the procedures for that traffic stop change from what you've probably experienced. You would have your gun drawn, you would treat all subjects as dangerous until it's determined no threats are present. Typically, cops will attempt to appear as intimidating as possible. From what I've heard, it sounds like some of their behavior was excessive/unprofessional...but that's about it.

The exception is the cop who suggested destroying the video...he should be reprimanded.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I was under the impression that no one actually got tasered. Did they?

I don't know why the cop initially tried to pull the guy over, did the article say?

It wouldn't matter if the guy was speeding while he fled or if he was going exactly the speed limit...it's still fleeing.

It sounds like once the officer saw there was a pregnant woman ready to give birth, he called for an ambulance.

When cops pull over a known felon (which is what the guy is considered once he fled) the procedures for that traffic stop change from what you've probably experienced. You would have your gun drawn, you would treat all subjects as dangerous until it's determined no threats are present. Typically, cops will attempt to appear as intimidating as possible. From what I've heard, it sounds like some of their behavior was excessive/unprofessional...but that's about it.

The exception is the cop who suggested destroying the video...he should be reprimanded.

SHOULD anyone have gotten tasered? Upon seeing that this husband and very-soon-to-be father was attempting to get his very pregnant wife, whose water had broken, to the hospital and feared risking harm to her and/or their soon to be born baby, a label of "felon" if put on him at all, REMAINED on him, and of course his "accomplice", his pregnancy-faking-water-breaking wife?

They determined, still, that he was "fleeing"? This man was determined a "felon" and that label "stuck" on him? AFTER it was clearly determined that there was a medical emergency?

Would you care to respond to the 3rd and 4th sentences of post #19?

Just on a side note, is this remotely, possibly, a dynamic in place?:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0