Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If what I remember is true, she was under constant verbal and emotional abuse. She probably could have made a defense out of the battered wife syndrome.

What's sad is that people only see her actions, but gloss over what precipitated it.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟390,051.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If what I remember is true, she was under constant verbal and emotional abuse. She probably could have made a defense out of the battered wife syndrome.

What's sad is that people only see her actions, but gloss over what precipitated it.
True, but I don't think Verbal / Emotional abuse justifies murder.

Physical abuse, we'll talk.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Mary Winkler, a 33-year-old mother of three girls, was freed from a Tennessee mental health facility where she was treated for depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, lawyer Steve Farese said.
"She is out," Farese said.
She has been released.

Upvote 0

EbonNelumbo

Hope is a waking dream-Aristotle
Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
True, but I don't think Verbal / Emotional abuse justifies murder.

Physical abuse, we'll talk.

There's never justification for abuse and one does not trump another (imho.)

While physical abuse leaves visible mars, emotional and verbal create scars that only that person can see in their nightmares.

Upvote 0

EbonNelumbo

Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
An addendum:

Mary Winkler was charged with murder, which could have sent her to prison for up to 60 years, but a jury found her guilty of voluntary manslaughter following an emotional trial in which she testified about suffering years of verbal and physical abuse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EbonNelumbo

Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Emotional abuse can be far more devastating than physical abuse. She was in a mental health facility not prison.

Indeed. Physical wounds heal (often creating psychological/emotional problems) but emotional issues just stay under the surface, decaying everything.

Upvote 0

Lynden1000

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Orlando, Florida
✟3,628.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why didn't she just leave him if he was abusive? What was the reason for her sentence anyways? I guess I'm of the idea that one shouldn't kill unless one's life was in danger of violence. In her case, was her husband threatening to hurt her or the children?

I have the same question. There is no excuse for emotional or physical abuse, but there are too many options other than murder. She could've called one of the many hotlines for battered wives. She could've fled in the car. She could've knocked him out with a bat and escaped. Or she could've gone straight to police and said "my husband is beating me, i want some kind of protection or i think I might harm him."

If she had the guts to pull a trigger, then she had the guts to pursue another option.

Upvote 0