Sister Annie
Aug 23, 2008
Hauraki Plains New Zealand.
✟16,277.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This is a subject that I've found fascinating right from those long ago days when as a Pagan Earthmother Feminist I used to have a winged Isis statuette alongside the Virgin Mary in my private prayer corner. It seems that when folk say they want to get back to the essential Christian message, what emerges is a species of Protestantism and not Christianity in its early form at all.
After looking over the other faith forums for any sign of the Pre-Nicene faith all I found at the very least was was strange and unusual Protestantism and not the spirit of the Early Church at all. It seems to me that what many of the 'back to basics' and 'fundimentalists' are doing is waving about some variety of modern Protestant version of the Bible and claiming that they are following the most 'pure' form of the Christian faith.
Taking only pre-Nicene texts as source the Christian faith is a much more lean and hungry religion than the one we know today. But what it possesses in bucket loads is a bright and blazing spirit that simply won't be quenched. And it must be remembered that many of these small and scattered churches didn't have a nice handy Bible. I would imagine that many would've had perhaps a handcopied Gospel, maybe one of Paul's letters - again not so expertly handcopied and the Psalms.
The Christian faith of those times was based on close history. I would imagine that it would be like the memory of WW1. My grandad was at the Somme, he died when I was in my twenties, but my Mum has told me some of her father's stories from the war; - and I have my grandad's pocket watch and the Bible he had when he was in the trenches as well as some faded old photos taken in France.
I could tell you the tale of how my grandad lost his corporal's stripes in France for letting his mules graze in the General's flower garden when there was no other grazing to be had. Perhaps 500 years from now, a future member of my family could tell the same story and have folk doubt the truthfulness of the tale. By this time the watch, the Bible and the faded old photos have been lost or rotted away and it's harder to prove that these events did happen. BUT if some pages of my own diary had survived on which I had written down my grandad's story, then proof is much more positive.
That's the quality I love in these pre-Nicene writings; - the message is still new and hot. Nobody has become complacent about being a Christian yet. The word 'martyr' describes something that could very readily happen anytime.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:pre-Nicene_Christianity

Don't worry I'm not wanting to shed the Catholic Faith or leave the Church. It's the great depth of history at the Catholic Church's foundations that has my interest. It's being a part of a Church that has deep roots; - it's wonderfully comforting :)

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It seems that when folk say they want to get back to the essential Christian message, what emerges is a species of Protestantism and not Christianity in its early form at all.
After looking over the other faith forums for any sign of the Pre-Nicene faith all I found at the very least was was strange and unusual Protestantism and not the spirit of the Early Church at all. It seems to me that what many of the 'back to basics' and 'fundimentalists' are doing is waving about some variety of modern Protestant version of the Bible and claiming that they are following the most 'pure' form of the Christian faith.

True, Protestantism especially in his low chuch evangelical form is ahistorical, their "pure" form of Christianity is based in proyecting a particular person beliefs and prejudices over the Bible instead of doing a hemeneutic is how the Bible came to their hands and how was interpreted by the Early Chruch. I always have been surprised who Catholic and Eastern Orthodox the Early Church and I dare to say some prechristians Jewish sects like the Essenes were. They contradict many things on how the Protestants say the Early Church was. No wonder why some fundamentalist had invented historicals falsifications like the Trail of Blood to avoid adressing that question. The Bible Christians of today were very diferent to the Early Apostolic Christians of the first three centuries.

Upvote 0

Anglian

let us love one another, for love is of God
Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Sianelle,

A wonderful post, but let us not fall into (even by implication) the Protestant trap of writing about the pre nicene Church as though it was something separate from the modern Church.

My own Coptic Church uses the Liturgy either of St. James (4th century) or St. Basil (fifth century), and has changed nothing over the many centuries that have supervened (Muslim rule had one good effect). We are a monastic Church, where our Pope has to be a monk, and where, as in the early Church, our clergy may marry, but our bishops, as monks, have to be single and celibate.

Cut off, as we have been for 1600 years, from the rest of Christendom, we receive only the first Three Councils, and therefore have very few dogmas and doctrines.

We have been taught that your own Church has added much to the original deposit of Faith, but the more I come to know your Church, the more I see these things a developments of understanding which, being free from the Muslim threat, your own Church has been able to develop.

It is my hope and prayer that other Copts can come to this understanding, and that one day we will be able to bring to your Church the atmosphere of that early Church we still have.

peace and amity,

Anglian

Upvote 0

Sianelle

Sister Annie
Aug 23, 2008
Hauraki Plains New Zealand.
✟16,277.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thankyou Anglican
nunny.gif

A wonderful post, but let us not fall into (even by implication) the Protestant trap of writing about the pre nicene Church as though it was something separate from the modern Church.

Oh yes I agree completely. Whenever I study the Early Church I'm continually finding these big strong modern Church roots that are very well anchored in it. That was something that was entirely lacking in almost every Protestant church I've ever had anything to do with.

Thanks too for explaining about the Coptic Church and if you haven't guessed I shall be busy with finding out more about the Liturgy of St James and St. Basil during my study time today.

Reactions: Anglian
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.