Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Being new to EO I feel like the door of understanding has been opening concerning praying to Mary and the Saints. This being said I would like to know {especially from converts to EO but not limited to them} how {maybe by examples and experiences} praying this way has enhanced your spiritual and earthly lives.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
well, I think it has enhanced mine because Christ said when two or more are gathered in His name that He would be among them. the idea of the saints means that we are never alone. there is never a time when two or more are not gathered in His name.

and I would say, that prayers to the saints have been answered.

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When my Grandma died I was a wreck. She and I were always very, very close, and it effected me more than I even knew. I did know, however, that whenever I wanted to I could still talk to her, she was always by me, and that in Church we were in the presence of the same God.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
When my Grandma died I was a wreck. She and I were always very, very close, and it effected me more than I even knew. I did know, however, that whenever I wanted to I could still talk to her, she was always by me, and that in Church we were in the presence of the same God.
Wow I had never thought of that before. That is special.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Antony in Tx

a sinner
Dec 25, 2009
Texas
✟25,560.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
For me, it is often that when I pray to a saint, it reminds me very specifically of their life and what they did to set a worldly example of truly being a Christian. This helps me to know that what is being asked of me is generally miniscule compared to what they gave/endured. Also their are often words from their writings that come to mind to help me know more about how to be humble and loving.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
For me, it is often that when I pray to a saint, it reminds me very specifically of their life and what they did to set a worldly example of truly being a Christian. This helps me to know that what is being asked of me is generally miniscule compared to what they gave/endured. Also their are often words from their writings that come to mind to help me know more about how to be humble and loving.

That's something I'm coming to understand: that asking for the intercession of a specific saint puts my own trials into perspective, if nothing else. Such as the Holy Apostle Bartholomew...

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,841.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
When I make intercessorary prayer to the saints, it is much like asking friends and family here on earth to join their prayers with mine.

As Christians we are a community of believers and those who die in the love of Christ enter not into death but continue to life everlasting. Therefore, when we ask the prayers of the saints, we are celebrating and joining in, the community of God's chosen people.
I do not believe in praying *to* a saint for salvation. I do believe it is fine to ask a saint for their guidance on things. Cecilia for music, Chrysostom for eloquence etc.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, brothers and sisters, for this lengthy post from one who can be an awful windbag at times.

I’ve learned to ask for intercessory prayers of saints mostly due to personal experience of the power of God which can result.

I was a non-believing sinner for nearly my entire adult life. I'm fairly well grounded in most of the important scientific disciplines, but am especially knowledgeable in the area of social sciences. You might say that given my understandings and perceptions of reality, it had become quite impossible for me to believe in God.

Yet, in studying and contemplating the problems of mankind -- our unique nature and predicament -- I was forced to conclude that we have only one answer, one real solution: Jesus Christ. But only if He is precisely Who He claims to be, according to what is written in the Gospels, is He a true hope and not just a wishful illusion.

Yet, knowing that this is the case was not enough for me to believe in Him. It was necessary for me to see some form of irrefutable evidence. I considered praying to this God who I felt probably didn't exist, thinking to ask Him to give me some kind of sign so that I could believe, but then I recalled the words of Christ Who said that "an evil and faithless generation seeks a sign, and none will be given it". Now, there's scarcely anyone more sinful or faithless than me. Hence, I knew I wasn't worthy of any sign even if God does exist. And even if He were to give me a sign, would I even believe Him then? For, as He has also said, “Even if someone should rise from the dead, they still won’t believe.”

I remained torn however, and the question of whether or not God would ever be willing to show me that He exists continually haunted me for many months. At one point my thoughts lead me to contemplate the scriptural account of the wedding celebration during which Christ changed water into wine after His mother approached Him about this matter. So, I looked up into the starry heavens (I was outside late in the evening) and humbly asked Christ's mother, though afflicted with strong doubts regarding her immortal existence, if it would be possible that she would ask her Son to show me some miracle as proof of His power.

After a short while I was led by the Spirit through a sequence of events to attend a prayer service being held at a small Orthodox Christian mission parish located less than an hour from my residence. It was an Akhathist service to the Mother of God, being held on account of a visitation to that parish by the myrrh streaming “Hawaiian” Iveron icon. You can see this icon for yourself, as it’s my avatar.

There she was, at the end of the center aisle of this humble little church leading up toward the altar, vigorously streaming miraculous myrrh; a glorious manifestation of the powers of the Heavenly realm breaking through into this earthly one for our sakes. Even in these latter days, she continues to point us toward her son, our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, through her prayerful intercessions, as she’s done for me.

At the moment of my anointing by the serving priest with this truly miraculous oil that was being collected from her icon, I knew that she had interceded for the sake of my salvation, just as I’d asked, and that our God had responded according to His will. From that time forward, it has been clear to me what I must henceforth do: Repent and proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God, and keep His commandments. Amen.

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

Chachi1984

Demote the government, promote the family.
Mar 6, 2013
Washington, DC
✟15,177.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Praying to Saints is often misunderstood as praying to Christ.

As someone who grew up non-denominational, I was once under the idea that Catholics regarded saints as the same status of Christ, or at least close enough that they are worthy of praise. I have later learned that that's not true at all.

But much how I was taught as a protestant that we should emulate and be encouraged by Biblical heroes like David, Joseph, Peter, etc., so are the Catholics. Each saint has something special about them that we should look at and try use as a model for Christ.

Let's say my cat is very sick. I may pray to Jesus, and praise only him, but also with St. Francis in mind as he was the patron saint of animals. It's a form of comfort, recognition, and helping illustrate the strength that God has through others.

This is the best I could explain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lirenel

Orthodox Christian
Aug 17, 2006
✟15,318.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It took me awhile to warm up to the idea of praying to the Theotokos and the saints. I remember vividly the first time I prayed to Mary (before I even really started learning about Orthodoxy), and I felt absolutely blasphemous. But after awhile, it got to the point where I love to venerate the icon of the Theotokos, and feel so very close to her.

A time I remember a distinct 'response', is when I was very sick with the flue and had just gotten news that my great-uncle (who has been like a grandfather to me) was seriously ill and having back surgery. Despite feeling worse than I could remember ever feeling before, I prayed the akathist to St. Panteleimon - in my pajamas, leaning against my bed and having to take rest spells, and without even a paper icon. But it gave me peace, and when I spoke later with my fully healed great-uncle (who is a lapsed Catholic) at my brother's wedding, I told him of my prayers and he was sincerely grateful - and he told me that he had been in agonizing pain, and that the only thing he could do was pray the Hail Mary.

Upvote 0