Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A priest told me once that in those times of repetitiveness, lack of concentration God can see the effort you are putting in and to persevere. Keep praying. Dont give up!

I agree that there is value in effort, value in developing discipline.

After all, if we insist on praying, sooner or later the enemy will oppose us. Prayer is difficult sometimes. It is of value to struggle in prayer when it is difficult for those kinds of reasons.

On the other hand, if we ourselves don't have a right attitude about prayer, and allow ourselves to treat it like something we do to check off a box, and allow our minds to wander out of boredom, that is another matter entirely.

There is no one-size-fits-all answer. So when we read a series of replies, we see all kinds of answers. People will read the question and apply whatever their own experience is to answer it. There have been some very good replies in this thread. :)

Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do you find prayer repetitive? Do you loose concentration when praying?

Sometimes i rush my prayers without a lot of thought. This is wrong i know. I do try to concentrate but do find it hard.

For those of us who recite the Rosary (Please, no Catholic Bashing on this) i also get lost in the day etc when praying the Rosary.

I know this is all normal but i really do wish i could push aside thoughts of the day, of life and just concentrate on God alone!

Is this the same for you or not. If not, help!

the believer/worshiper should start (off) with the desire that there be overall salvation in the true Lord God, he/she should want only the good of the humans/souls being perfected in love for them - actually the prayer begins with this, and then the believer/worshiper should practice the faith in Him carefully and right enough, so that they may not commit spiritual iniquity, then the prayer can be improved...

Blessings

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I've listened to long-winded extemporaneous prayers before. I think that is what Jesus is talking about. Not necessarily saying the rosary. Repetitive prayer eventually can become a kind of mental prayer, a "prayer of the heart", praying without ceasing.

Don't be too scrupulous about how you are praying- just pray. Don't make it a chore, though, that you have to get through.

I like the 1979 Book of Common Prayer. If you don't know what to say, there's plenty of good language there in the prayers and its not overly wordy but says most things just right, lyrical without being obscure. I like the Compline prayers in particular- it's a good way to end the day:

Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.

Be present, O merciful God, and protect us through the hours
of this night, so that we who are wearied by the changes and
chances of this life may rest in your eternal changelessness;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sharla

May 16, 2016
Ontario Canada
✟15,151.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married

Sometimes i rush my prayers without a lot of thought. This is wrong i know. I do try to concentrate but do find it hard.

For those of us who recite the Rosary (Please, no Catholic Bashing on this) i also get lost in the day etc when praying the Rosary.

I know this is all normal but i really do wish i could push aside thoughts of the day, of life and just concentrate on God alone!

Upvote 0

Sharla

May 16, 2016
Ontario Canada
✟15,151.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Hey there - I've had the same question and I've come across a great book called " The Daniel Prayer". It's amazing. By the daughter of Billy Graham. It's not your " lay me down to sleep" prayer. It's a great book. I downloaded it from Kindle. Great reading and methods of prayer.

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
even if there is a perfect prayer, the faith as a whole must also be right enough, because what's the point if the prayer says "please God, make all people good, righteous and holy, deliver/save them from evil and provide them with abundant lives till the end of the eternity" but the worshipers, who say the prayer, don't stop believing that the people who are not religious like them will surely be (unfavorably) affected by and suffer from such and such plagues (e.g. because their religious doctrine says so)?!, that's why there is a need of full repentance in the faith, otherwise there may be a great hypocrisy

Matthew 23:14 "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation."

Blessings

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I seen a few people say praying repetitively is bad. Using Matthew 6:7 as proof. But that is not true. If you look here (its short) you can see verse that say if anything, theres is nothing wrong with praying over and over for the same thing. This is why we shouldn't cherry pick verse.
http://www.gotquestions.org/pray-repeat.html

From what I understand Matthew 6:7 is referring to Jews who did the "Shiminoph". Where they pray a very specific set of prayers over and over. Something they were doing alot at that time. Though I do think even today if we pray a very specific prayer every time then it could become a robotic routine and have no meaning after awhile. Such as its no longer from the heart, just something you instead say because your used to saying it over and over. Such as saying "God forgive me my sins. Help me. Amen.".

And in other cases praying for things that I doubt God will do like "Dear Lord please let me find 100 gold bars today somewhere!". Praying that over and over seems silly. Nothing is impossible of course but its not the kind of prayer you should be praying.

Me? Sometimes my prayers are close to each other. I often start out prayers the same way I may say "Dear God" or "Jesus I pray"....etc. And I always pray for forgiveness of my sins (i try to mention them). I pray to become more mature as a christian, husband...etc. I pray for my wife. Family, health and so on. And anything that maybe was brought up like if someone told me they needed prayer. Granted I forget alot. Maybe its also why my prayers sometimes may seem reused. Having a brain injury many things are hard for me to do. But I know God sees in my heart I am praying not just words to pray. But praying from my heart. Which I think is really what it comes down to. Are you praying from your heart or just saying words so you prayed in that moment.

Upvote 0

Gilberto Alicea

Love Every one Always
Jul 24, 2016
chicago
✟8,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My father use to make us pray the rosary when i was a kids I still like many of the prayers , but I learn another way to pray by conversations with God it is more useful than repetition of prayers ,I just talk to God about everything and give him his place in my life , now I can focus and I can also take time for my prayers check out a prayer that Paul said in The Book of Ephesians 1:16-23 this will help you big time .Good luck

Upvote 0

Gilberto Alicea

Love Every one Always
Jul 24, 2016
chicago
✟8,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I seen a few people say praying repetitively is bad. Using Matthew 6:7 as proof. But that is not true. If you look here (its short) you can see verse that say if anything, theres is nothing wrong with praying over and over for the same thing. This is why we shouldn't cherry pick verse.
http://www.gotquestions.org/pray-repeat.html

From what I understand Matthew 6:7 is referring to Jews who did the "Shiminoph". Where they pray a very specific set of prayers over and over. Something they were doing alot at that time. Though I do think even today if we pray a very specific prayer every time then it could become a robotic routine and have no meaning after awhile. Such as its no longer from the heart, just something you instead say because your used to saying it over and over. Such as saying "God forgive me my sins. Help me. Amen.".

And in other cases praying for things that I doubt God will do like "Dear Lord please let me find 100 gold bars today somewhere!". Praying that over and over seems silly. Nothing is impossible of course but its not the kind of prayer you should be praying.

Me? Sometimes my prayers are close to each other. I often start out prayers the same way I may say "Dear God" or "Jesus I pray"....etc. And I always pray for forgiveness of my sins (i try to mention them). I pray to become more mature as a christian, husband...etc. I pray for my wife. Family, health and so on. And anything that maybe was brought up like if someone told me they needed prayer. Granted I forget alot. Maybe its also why my prayers sometimes may seem reused. Having a brain injury many things are hard for me to do. But I know God sees in my heart I am praying not just words to pray. But praying from my heart. Which I think is really what it comes down to. Are you praying from your heart or just saying words so you prayed in that moment.
Hey I thought I say something pertaining to what you mention in regards to your health ,I study a lot in regards to the word of God and I learn a lot in the area of healing and I want to share something with you, all sickness come from the curse of the law , we as Christians have been redeem from the law by Jesus Christ but we have to believed in his word the bible said that he not only redeem us but he bear our sickness , I learn that their is several ways to obtain healing 1 use the name of Jesus against the devils works ,demand in the name of Jesus that the disease and sickness leave .you can use this for your kids and wife and family when need it , look up mark 16:17,18 and john 16:23,24 Also in the book of Isaiah 53:4,5 and peter 2:24
claim this by his stripes we are healed and many more . this will give you a start .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,627.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The rosary reminds me of the prayer without ceasing, there is a type of fasting you can do where you give up something that takes up space in your heart and time out of your day, this can be cultivated as a living prayer.

Upvote 0

mikpat

Apr 25, 2016
Evans, GA
✟15,816.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Rosary consists of a decade of prayers—-five decades per mystery. Each decade (ten prayers) has a theme for example the Sorrowful mysteries would be one session of the Roasary with each decade beginning with a theme ex. the Sorrowful mysteries begins witha meditation on the "Agony in the Garden' then followed by repetetive prayers, second decade would be the "Scourging at the Pillar" again followed by the usual prayer….third decade would be the "Crowning of Thorns",
five decades or five mysteries with a few concluding prayers

You have three major Mysteries The Joyful Mysteries, The Glorious Mysteries, The Sorrowful Mysteries and I think they may have added a fourth———

Each Mystery is divided into five decades, the Mysteries are suggested for certain days of the week.

Most recitations of the Rosary are said in community helps with the recitation—-obvious.

Any recitation, a decade, two decades is up to the person————-

Old saying in the monastery: "You can tell how well a monk prays by how well he mops the kitchen floor."

'' Hearken, O daughter, and see, and incline thy ear, and forget thy people and thy father's house" (Ps 44,11).
This cuts down on the dissipation that Satan hurls at us while praying.

AMDG

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was reminded of something else you might find useful. I really liked Mr. Victoria's talk in the AFR special series "Acquiring the Mind of the Church" ... actually most of the sessions were really outstanding for their topic.

Hers is "Prayer of the Heart in a World of Distractions" and is about several things, but really what I got out of it that I appreciated most was what she described as her SF's method of prayer, which consisted of carefully focusing on each little bit as he prayed. Her statement (which would have to be discussed with one's SF if under the guidance of one) was not to consider the "rule" as something that must be gotten through, but as a tool to bring one into the presence of God. If you have 15 minutes to pray, and you are in the presence of God in the first paragraph, and stay there the whole time and don't pray any further of the formal prayers, she said you have completed your objective. My SF is a bit more strict ;) so I can't speak from one who has taken her advice to the exclusion of my SF's guidance, but I do think many of the thoughts there might be helpful for you, if you're interested.

Just offering, in case it helps. God be with you. :)

Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My father use to make us pray the rosary when i was a kids I still like many of the prayers , but I learn another way to pray by conversations with God it is more useful than repetition of prayers ,I just talk to God about everything and give him his place in my life , now I can focus and I can also take time for my prayers check out a prayer that Paul said in The Book of Ephesians 1:16-23 this will help you big time .Good luck
Hello Gilberto, and welcome to CF!

I pray that you are blessed by being here. :) If you need any help finding your way around the forums or with anything else, please let us know. We are glad to have you join us.

Again, welcome to CF! And God be with you!

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I was reminded of something else you might find useful. I really liked Mr. Victoria's talk in the AFR special series "Acquiring the Mind of the Church" ... actually most of the sessions were really outstanding for their topic.

Hers is "Prayer of the Heart in a World of Distractions" and is about several things, but really what I got out of it that I appreciated most was what she described as her SF's method of prayer, which consisted of carefully focusing on each little bit as he prayed. Her statement (which would have to be discussed with one's SF if under the guidance of one) was not to consider the "rule" as something that must be gotten through, but as a tool to bring one into the presence of God. If you have 15 minutes to pray, and you are in the presence of God in the first paragraph, and stay there the whole time and don't pray any further of the formal prayers, she said you have completed your objective. My SF is a bit more strict ;) so I can't speak from one who has taken her advice to the exclusion of my SF's guidance, but I do think many of the thoughts there might be helpful for you, if you're interested.

Just offering, in case it helps. God be with you. :)

Saved that to listen to tomorrow. Thanks

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Saved that to listen to tomorrow. Thanks
You are most welcome. I ran across it on YouTube also, but I don't have it saved in here. If you have any trouble with podcast links, lmk. :)

Upvote 0

Sundown

No title
Apr 17, 2016
U.S.A.
Visit site
✟8,034.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Upvote 0

Sundown

No title
Apr 17, 2016
U.S.A.
Visit site
✟8,034.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Hello, I truly respect what your wrote. I wrote a book on seeking God, it has a beautiful section on prayer, what it is and how to pray. I would recommend you pick up a copy you will really learn. I am not here to solicit business, I just love to encourage others. Believe me, I do not make much on the book and I put a percentage back into the ministry of encouraging others. The book is only $8.29, you can order it from www.biblicalencouragement.net.

Whether you buy it or not it's okay, but you can click on the link "WEEKLY LESSONS" (one a week, which I just started), it will be good to ruminate about these short lessons and you are welcome to share it with others.

Just remember the only mediator between God and man is Christ.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Vanity can also be about impressing one's self.
I don't believe though, that repetition is being categorically separated from its modifier within the context of prayer.
Think about. If you asked me the same thing ten times in a row, I would have reason to doubt your ability to reason being in control of your need to obey.
Repetition is a good thing generally, but too much of it becomes harassment.

This proposes a model of prayer which I feel focuses too mich on prayer as a petition, when this very frequently is not the case at all.

We are commanded to pray without ceasing.

Now on the subject of vain repetitions, our Lord was clearly referring to the glossolalia engaged in by members of various Pagan religions and also some Gnostic cults. There is a recovered text of one of the Mithras mysteries which contains an example of this; a prescribed sequence of syllables that meant nothing in any language, usually vowells, thought to be some kind of password.

The Mithras mysteries and Gnosticism were the main rivals to Christianity during the first two centuries.

Now, praying repeatedly the Lord's Prayer, or an "arrow prayer" like Kyrie Eleison or the Jesus Prayer, cannot possibly be vain repetition because the request is not in vain, and the prayers are not offered for the sake of vanity.

~

To the OP I would suggest the Philokalia. This is the definitive guide to unceasing prayer, and one can find a text of it online. However, it is written with a monastic audience in mind. Another valuable book on this subject, which you can obtain via iBooks, is "On the Prayer of Jesus" by St. Ignatius Brianchaninov, the celebrated 19th century Russian hierarch and ascetic.

Alas, I do not know of any Roman Catholic titles on the subject, except for Thomas Merton's translation of the Sayings of the Desert Fathers, which is incomplete; there are better versions available. These sayings should definitely be read.

Lastly, someone well acquainted with the Christian tradition of unceasing prayer might do well to read the writings of the medieval Yemenese Jewish scholar Maimonides, on prayer, which are interesting to the extent they seem to reflect and encapsulate the Patristic understanding, except Maimonides seems to have lost confidence in the idea of prayer as petition, which prayers are, but it is easy to see how someone outside of Christianity might give up on that aspect owing to the frustrations of being either continually ignored or tricked by demons.

~

It is extremely important to discuss your rule of prayer woth your priest.

Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The Rosary consists of a decade of prayers—-five decades per mystery. Each decade (ten prayers) has a theme for example the Sorrowful mysteries would be one session of the Roasary with each decade beginning with a theme ex. the Sorrowful mysteries begins witha meditation on the "Agony in the Garden' then followed by repetetive prayers, second decade would be the "Scourging at the Pillar" again followed by the usual prayer….third decade would be the "Crowning of Thorns",
five decades or five mysteries with a few concluding prayers

You have three major Mysteries The Joyful Mysteries, The Glorious Mysteries, The Sorrowful Mysteries and I think they may have added a fourth———

Each Mystery is divided into five decades, the Mysteries are suggested for certain days of the week.

Most recitations of the Rosary are said in community helps with the recitation—-obvious.

Any recitation, a decade, two decades is up to the person————-

Old saying in the monastery: "You can tell how well a monk prays by how well he mops the kitchen floor."

'' Hearken, O daughter, and see, and incline thy ear, and forget thy people and thy father's house" (Ps 44,11).
This cuts down on the dissipation that Satan hurls at us while praying.

AMDG

Note the Orthodox pray the Rosary, for example, St. Seraphim of Sarov is famous for it, but we prefer the Jesus Prayer, and when we pray the Rosary, we omit the Mysteries.

The reason for this is that our monastic fathers through a trial and error process determined the unceasing use of the imagination in prayer is unhealthy, prevents continual prayer from occuring, and can lead to madness. The preference is to not use the visual imagination at all.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0