Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Do you find prayer repetitive? Do you loose concentration when praying?

Sometimes i rush my prayers without a lot of thought. This is wrong i know. I do try to concentrate but do find it hard.

For those of us who recite the Rosary (Please, no Catholic Bashing on this) i also get lost in the day etc when praying the Rosary.

I know this is all normal but i really do wish i could push aside thoughts of the day, of life and just concentrate on God alone!

Is this the same for you or not. If not, help!

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟935,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think everyone's mind wanders, whether in meditation or repetitive like the rosary. My opinion is sometimes the Spirit guides your mind to something you can take care of later, like you wander to something important. Also sometimes it helps sharpen your concentration. Just my .02.

Upvote 0

jacksknight

Mar 16, 2016
USA
✟1,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well no catholic bashing here, but Jesus said not to use vain repetitions when praying..

"But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking."

So saying the same thing over and over is not biblical. I think you need to realize that God is your actual Father. You don't need special words or to say fancy things. You just talk to him, like you would your own Father. You can't really say the wrong thing, God already knows what you need before you think or ask it.

"Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him."

When i catch myself just saying the same old thing, I just stop and take a breath then continue. One thing I ask constantly that i think is odd is for God to be with me. Not as if he left me in the first place because i know he never leaves us. I try not to say it, but it always slips my mind. But it doesn't really matter because he already knows.

So just talk to him, say what is actually on your heart, don't try to say things you think he wants to hear.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well no catholic bashing here, but Jesus said not to use vain repetitions when praying..

"But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking."

So saying the same thing over and over is not biblical. I think you need to realize that God is your actual Father. You don't need special words or to say fancy things. You just talk to him, like you would your own Father. You can't really say the wrong thing, God already knows what you need before you think or ask it.

"Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him."

When i catch myself just saying the same old thing, I just stop and take a breath then continue. One thing I ask constantly that i think is odd is for God to be with me. Not as if he left me in the first place because i know he never leaves us. I try not to say it, but it always slips my mind. But it doesn't really matter because he already knows.

So just talk to him, say what is actually on your heart, don't try to say things you think he wants to hear.

I agree, I was actually thinking of this myself. Thanks for sharing. :)

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How one prays is dependent upon what one is praying for.

If praying for another person then the same thing can be prayed more than once but at different times.

Reason;
1. God hears the first time.
2. When praying for another their authority over themselves are theirs not yours, unless they are agreeing with you.

If praying for your own needs then once is all that is needed if you are praying according to the principle of faith.

After praying once, then when the need comes to mind, then thank God for what you ask for.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
People, please refrain from any Catholic bashing. Lets keep this civil and on topic. Ta

Who is "Catholic bashing"?

I was agreeing with the words of Jesus shared by Jacksknight.

Reactions: jacksknight
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jacksknight

Mar 16, 2016
USA
✟1,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Our Father said again and again is the Prayer of Jesus. Is that a repetitive prayer? What about reciting the psalms over an over. Please, no Catholic bashing.

I said i wasn't bashing catholics, you asked and i gave you an answer. Repeating the psalms over and over again isn't a prayer, so comparing it to prayer doesn't follow. When Jesus told us how to pray he was giving us an example of how its to be done. Not something for us to repeat over and over.

I'm just giving an example of being repetitious like you mentioned, I'm not sure why you would think im bashing you.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Sometimes i rush my prayers without a lot of thought. This is wrong i know. I do try to concentrate but do find it hard.

For those of us who recite the Rosary (Please, no Catholic Bashing on this) i also get lost in the day etc when praying the Rosary.

I know this is all normal but i really do wish i could push aside thoughts of the day, of life and just concentrate on God alone!

I'm sure the Lord is pleased with any effort at prayer and any faithfulness in prayer. However, if you pray without understanding why you are praying it, are you really actually praying it? Or if you pray without understanding what you are praying for, are you really praying for that?

Prayer is a form of worship and talking to God. Almost anything can be counted as worship if your heart is reverent toward God. There are mountains of books about prayer. One old approach is to follow the "ACTS" pattern of adoration (worship & praise), confession, thanksgiving, then supplication (requests). There's no reason it needs to be repetitive, since it is your choice on how you pray to the Lord. Worship in the ways that you are cheerful to worship him rather than whatever ways you need to force yourself to do it. The Lord's prayer is a topical list that you can expand on endlessly.

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:17, 1984 NIV)

pray continually; (1 Thessalonians 5:17, 1984 NIV)

By the way, we are commanded in various places to be persistent in continuing to ask God for things. That's different than babbling, which includes the idea that you aren't thinking about what you are saying, as well as not being serious toward God about your requests. God looks at your heart, not whether your actions are consistent with any rules. When one is very distressed, it's not at all strange to keep praying the same thing over and over. It is an expression of pain and grief that is not coming from a rebellious heart.

In the Greek, the verb tenses used for ask, seek, and knock in Matthew 7:7 (and other places) indicate continuous action. Some Bible translators thought it important to retain that even though it is (apparently) a bit awkward in English.

Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. (Matthew 7:7, NLT)

BibleGateway.com is great for looking at multiple translations of a verse—Matthew 7:7 in many translations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Hmm.
I like to remain in close proximity to God.
I still get jazzed about simple things l like being alive, sky, weather, etc. I get to cross the Platte River twice a day... so I do a lot of praising reflexively. And a lot of it feels personally received. Sometimes it just feels expressed, not as much received.
It all relates to the cleanliness of my conscience, I'm pretty sure.

I had to work hard today, so I didn't bounce as many of my thoughts against Him as I like to.
Think of prayer not as obsessively constant, but of yourself in close proximity... arm's reach if you will, of God. Your conscience will tell you if you're just ego tripping. Staying close still allows to operate heavy machinery. We have to keep it real.
I am so glad you have this concern and I am so glad to share it with you! God bless you richly with constant assurance of His loving concern for you, Anteletums.
Our relationship with God is Priority One.
We are truly brothers in this important concern.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thus far this discussion pretty much overlooks the meaning of an adjective which is to modify a noun. In this case "vain" modifies "repetitive prayer." The prohibition is not on repetitive prayer but on "Vain repetitive prayer," that is praying for the sake of appearances.

The Bible also says to, "pray without ceasing." Repetitive prayer as practiced in some traditions (e.g., "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner", The Rosary, etc.) is viewed as fulfillment of the admonition to pray without ceasing.

I think if you are publically doing repetitive prayer so others will see you as such a righteous, holy person you are engaging in Vain repetitive prayer. But it you are praying more modestly and privately, what you are doing is praying without ceasing.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thus far this discussion pretty much overlooks the meaning of an adjective which is to modify a noun. In this case "vain" modifies "repetitive prayer." The prohibition is not on repetitive prayer but on "Vain repetitive prayer," that is praying for the sake of appearances.

The Bible also says to, "pray without ceasing." Repetitive prayer as practiced in some traditions (e.g., "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner", The Rosary, etc.) is viewed as fulfillment of the admonition to pray without ceasing.

I think if you are publically doing repetitive prayer so others will see you as such a righteous, holy person you are engaging in Vain repetitive prayer. But it you are praying more modestly and privately, what you are doing is praying without ceasing.
Vanity can also be about impressing one's self.
I don't believe though, that repetition is being categorically separated from its modifier within the context of prayer.
Think about. If you asked me the same thing ten times in a row, I would have reason to doubt your ability to reason being in control of your need to obey.
Repetition is a good thing generally, but too much of it becomes harassment.

Upvote 0