Praying in tounges in church

Feb 3, 2014
✟15,157.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
At the church I currently attend we are always asked to pray in tounges during services. The prayer service is mostly done in tounges. But I've read in the Bible that tounges that are spoken in church should always be interpreted. I've never heard anything being interpreted in our church.

It is also being taught that every Christian must speak in tounges. Is this true? I thought is was one of the gifts?

Any thoughts on this? I feel confused.

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tongues is a gift. Do you attend a United Pentecostal church? Or Oneness as it is called? They are pretty adamant about tongues and their necessity for true believers. In fact they state one can't be saved if they don't speak in tongues. Read the last few verses of 1 Cor 12. Paul asks a series of questions in which the answer to each question is obviously implied. That will answer your question.

You seem to be on the right track with your view of the gift of tongues. Are there any other fellowships in your area you can attend that are more biblically based?

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟43,594.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
At the church I currently attend we are always asked to pray in tounges during services. The prayer service is mostly done in tounges. But I've read in the Bible that tounges that are spoken in church should always be interpreted. I've never heard anything being interpreted in our church.
One of the great inconsistencies that we as the people of God regularly display, is with the all too common practice where we see so many praying/praising God corporately in the Spirit. Paul went to some length in 1Cor 14 where he admonished the Corinthians for this very same practice.

It is also being taught that every Christian must speak in tounges. Is this true? I thought is was one of the gifts?

As ByTheSpirit mentioned, this is certainly an errant teaching of the Oneness Pentecostals that is rejected by probably all Trinitarian Pentecostals. Most classic-Pentecostals (including the Aog) will say that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit must be evidenced by speaking in tongues; but this is not the same as when someone gives their heart to the Lord where they immediately receive the Holy Spirit. For the AoG and other classic-Pentecostals, they believe that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit (with the evidence of speaking in tongues) is subsequent or occurs some time after our initial salvation.

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,568.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

The gift of tongues is different than lets say when someone is said to receive the baptism of the holy ghost and speaks in tongues and has then on a prayer language…..that prayer language or tongue is not interpreted. Its for the individual, and can be used as you have seen by believers in church as they worship and pray.
The Gift of tongues is when one is gifted to be able to give a message from the Lord to the church. And then someone who has the Gift of interpretation is able to speak and tell what was said.

I was once associated with some that believed without speaking in tongues to prove you had received the Holy Ghost you would go to hell. My pastor who at that time was full of the Holy Ghost and power did not agree with that at all and help me to see the light, for by then I had been convinced by wrong interpretation of the scriptures by some pastors. I do not believed nor find sound scripture that if one does not speak in tongues you will go to hell….however I am convinced that some who speak in tongues but live in sin and reprobation have fooled themselves into thinking that they are going to heaven because they speak in tongues.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

You are right to raise these questions.

The first letter to the Corinthians written by saint Paul urges that none speak in tongues unless there is one to interpret. So be careful of instructions that run contrary to saint Paul's explicit instructions.

And you are right to be concerned about any teaching that every Christian must speak in tongues. One again saint Paul says differently in chapter twelve of first Corinthians when he asks (rhetorically) "do all speak in tongues?" anticipating "no" as the answer. Not everybody in the body of Christ has the same gifts nor can everybody fill the same role otherwise the body would cease to be a body and would become something unbalanced. Saint Paul teaches this way:
Now the body is not a single part, but many. If a foot should say, Because I am not a hand I do not belong to the body, it does not for this reason belong any less to the body. Or if an ear should say, Because I am not an eye I do not belong to the body, it does not for this reason belong any less to the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole body were hearing, where would the sense of smell be?

But as it is, God placed the parts, each one of them, in the body as he intended. If they were all one part, where would the body be? But as it is, there are many parts, yet one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, I do not need you, nor again the head to the feet, I do not need you. Indeed, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are all the more necessary, and those parts of the body that we consider less honorable we surround with greater honor, and our less presentable parts are treated with greater propriety, whereas our more presentable parts do not need this. But God has so constructed the body as to give greater honor to a part that is without it, so that there may be no division in the body, but that the parts may have the same concern for one another. If (one) part suffers, all the parts suffer with it; if one part is honored, all the parts share its joy.

Now you are Christ's body, and individually parts of it. Some people God has designated in the church to be, first, apostles; second, prophets; third, teachers; then, mighty deeds; then, gifts of healing, assistance, administration, and varieties of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work mighty deeds? Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? Strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts. But I shall show you a still more excellent way. 1 Corinthians 12:14-31

Upvote 0

FuegoPentecostes

Apr 26, 2012
Connecticut
✟15,475.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I don't think there's anything wrong with letting the Spirit moving and speaking in tounges in a service if the Lord leads you to, especially in something like a prayer service. Busting out in tounges during a preaching is a different story, but during prayer it's fine. However I've never heard of a pastor actually telling his congregation to speak in tounges . . . That sounds a little strange to me. You should do as you feel led by the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟43,594.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Scripture also says that they're a sign TO unbelievers OF believers (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17). How can they be a sign if they aren't spoken.

All tongues can be interpreted (I Cor 14:13)
Remember, Paul was saying that uninterpreted tongues will be a negative sign to the unbeliever where they could rightfully say that the congregation that allows the unbridled corporate use of tongues in their meetings that "they are mad".

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟43,594.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I don't think there's anything wrong with letting the Spirit moving and speaking in tounges in a service if the Lord leads you to, especially in something like a prayer service. Busting out in tounges during a preaching is a different story, but during prayer it's fine. However I've never heard of a pastor actually telling his congregation to speak in tounges . . . That sounds a little strange to me. You should do as you feel led by the Spirit.
Sadly, over the years I have heard many, many praise and worship leaders encourage everyone to pray/sing in the Spirit all at once during times of praise and worship - which stands squarely against Paul's Scriptural injunction that this type of thing must not take place within the congregational meeting.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟789,100.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have just the opposite reaction because of how I view Scripture about tongues.

Whether there's an interpretation or not, some are going to say "they're mad."

What if you have a believer that hasn't been given an interpretation previously and Yahweh is beginning to use this gift in them?

Think we need to respect other believers' interpretation of Scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,568.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have just the opposite reaction.

Wonder why the Scripture against speaking in tongues are emphasized by some while the Scripture such as those already posted in post #7 are ignored.

Think we need to respect other believers' interpretation of Scripture.

Amen. After all look at Acts, they were all speaking in tongues in public. Paul didn't teach against it. What he said is if the whole congregation is doing it and one comes in as to visit and thats all thats going on how will they understand, it was to make those aware so they would know. I've seen times when there was much tongues in prayer and worship in the congregation, but when there was visitors who came there was this awareness that Paul was saying and then there was none for there sake since many do not understand or were never taught about tongues. This is the common sense that Paul was saying, not to forsake tongues completely. When I first went to a Pentecostal church after a couple visits I heard for the first time someone speaking in tongues in worship or prayer…..just a little….I said to myself….I have read about this in the bible somewhere…..I didn't know anybody had this today, I thought it stopped back in bible times,,,,what is this, I want to know more.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟43,594.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Amen. After all look at Acts, they were all speaking in tongues in public. Paul didn't teach against it.
So you see absolutely no connection between 1Cor 14:23 Therefore if the whole church assembles together and all speak in tongues, and ungifted men or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are mad with Acts 2:13 But others were mocking and saying, "They are full of sweet wine" (or drunk).

What he said is if the whole congregation is doing it and one comes in as to visit and thats all thats going on how will they understand, it was to make those aware so they would know. I've seen times when there was much tongues in prayer and worship in the congregation, but when there was visitors who came there was this awareness that Paul was saying and then there was none for there sake since many do not understand or were never taught about tongues. This is the common sense that Paul was saying, not to forsake tongues completely. When I first went to a Pentecostal church after a couple visits I heard for the first time someone speaking in tongues in worship or prayer…..just a little….I said to myself….I have read about this in the bible somewhere…..I didn't know anybody had this today, I thought it stopped back in bible times,,,,what is this, I want to know more.
What you seem to be describing where you first encountered tongues, was probably undertaken in accordance with the Scriptural pattern for the use of tongues within the congregational setting. What Paul wants to avoid is the all too frequent problem that we see today where the unregenerate or cessationist comes into a meeting where virtually everyone is praising God in the Spirit. From my perspective, anyone who has an ear to hear or an eye to read should be well aware that this practice has caused many of these people to stumble where they have walked away thinking “these people are mad”.

Paul does not mince his words where we find in 1Cor 14:20 he begins his admonition that this practice must stop by saying, “Brethren, do not be children in your thinking; yet in evil be infants, but in your thinking be mature. He follows on in verses 21 & 22 by saying tongues are a (negative) sign to the unregenerate where the unbridled use of tongues within the congregational setting will only serve to be a cause of judgement to the unregenerate as they will in all probability walk away from the meeting where they will reject the Gospel - this has happened all too often over the decades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,568.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So you see absolutely no connection between 1Cor 14:23 Therefore if the whole church assembles together and all speak in tongues, and ungifted men or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are mad with Acts 2:13 But others were mocking and saying, "They are full of sweet wine" (or drunk).

What you seem to be describing where you first encountered tongues, was probably undertaken in accordance with the Scriptural pattern for the use of tongues within the congregational setting. What Paul wants to avoid is the all too frequent problem that we see today where the unregenerate or cessationist comes into a meeting where virtually everyone is praising God in the Spirit. From my perspective, anyone who has an ear to hear or an eye to read should be well aware that this practice has caused many of these people to stumble where they have walked away thinking “these people are mad”.

Paul does not mince his words where we find in 1Cor 14:20 he begins his admonition that this practice must stop by saying, “Brethren, do not be children in your thinking; yet in evil be infants, but in your thinking be mature. He follows on in verses 21 & 22 by saying tongues are a (negative) sign to the unregenerate where the unbridled use of tongues within the congregational setting will only serve to be a cause of judgement to the unregenerate as they will in all probability walk away from the meeting where they will reject the Gospel - this has happened all too often over the decades.

I think we are agreeing but in different ways. Yes there must be order, and if all are doing it when a visitor enters then Paul said they would think you are all mad. Paul wanted the church to have some common sense and maturity…he did not want to abandon speaking in tongues though….if at the end of a service is the Holy Ghost moved upon some folks for them to be baptized in the Spirit and visitors are there shall we say, STOP, don't let those converts speak in tongues, go away Spirit, we don't want to offended any visitors….? God forbid. Some don't want tongues in the church at all, and is to this class I am addressing. That is not Pauls teaching, common sense is.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟43,594.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think we are agreeing but in different ways. Yes there must be order, and if all are doing it when a visitor enters then Paul said they would think you are all mad. Paul wanted the church to have some common sense and maturity…he did not want to abandon speaking in tongues though….if at the end of a service is the Holy Ghost moved upon some folks for them to be baptized in the Spirit and visitors are there shall we say, STOP, don't let those converts speak in tongues, go away Spirit, we don't want to offended any visitors….? God forbid. Some don't want tongues in the church at all, and is to this class I am addressing. That is not Pauls teaching, common sense is.
That was a superb point as I agree that if at the end of the meeting (or at anytime) the Spirit falls on the new initiate, then we certainly should be ensuring that they are aware that they can expect to speak in tongues when the Spirit comes upon them.

I went back to check my post where thankfully I did say, "What Paul wants to avoid is the all too frequent problem that we see today where the unregenerate or cessationist comes into a meeting where virtually everyone is praising God in the Spirit". So Paul is certainly not trying to eliminate tongues within the congregational setting but he simply wants us to apply some order by not allowing everyone to sing/pray in the Spirit all at once during times of praise and worship where we permit three tongues where each is subsequently articulated.

Upvote 0

Juelrei

May 13, 2015
✟15,557.00

The teaching that the apostle Paul gives is that there is a difference between public tongues and private tongues.

When the pastor invites those who do to pray in tongues during services, it is prayer.
Personal prayer that is not meant to be made public even as praying in your learned language is not meant to be made public, because you are praying to God.

What should be interpreted is public tongues that is raised in volume for all to hear. That sort is indicating that it is a message for the entire assembly from God.

Heard but not necessarily loud=believers unto God. Loud=God unto believers.

In Luke 11:9-13, verse 13 in particular states, If you then being evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?
Acts 2:38-39 states also that believers are to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

1Cor.12:1 Concerning spiritual gifts, verse 4 Varieties of gifts but the same Holy Spirit.

The church cannot receive gifts of the Holy Spirit without the Holy Spirit being given and received as a gift.

The gift of the Holy Spirit, which includes speaking in tongues according to Acts 2:4 Who gives the spiritual gifts, are to all the church, body of Christ. But not all operate in every gift listed in 1Cor.12:4-10 because they are ministry gifts.
However, speaking in tongues Acts 2:4 is primarily for personal devotional prayer unto God, to be personally edified and built up in the love of God 1Cor.14:2; Jd.1:20-21; 1Cor.8:1., and, to pray and intercede for others when you don't otherwise know what to pray Rom.8:26-28.
Worship in tongues, singing melodies unto the LORD is a blessing unto God Jn.4:24; 1Cor.14:15-17; Eph.5:18-20; Col.3:16.
Speaking in tongues, to be filled with the Holy Spirit and thereby know what to do or say in a situation, Mat.10:19-20; Acts 4:8; Acts 13:9.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

markme2

Aug 26, 2014
✟7,632.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
hello -- i ws just at a conferance with "bridge builders" and dutch Sheets -- and other prophetic types were -- speaking -- and as there was a nice full " spiritual anointing" it is the leadership -- who directs the flow of the tenor of the service-- saint paul in Corinthians -- viewed himself as the leader-- of that assembly- church- weather he was present or not-- he was the BOSS --

and as he said -- do not forbid the " Prophetic" and let 2 or 3 prophetic people judge what is spoken to the congeration--in the prophetic groups -- i am in -- we pray -- in tongues or - in the understanding-- and then prophecy - what is pertant -- and you can test-- the spirit-- by the unity of the prophetic word--

my training is also like 1 samual 19:20-24

Upvote 0