Oct 23, 2016
Memphis
✟7,636.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone!

I have been visiting an EO church and going to Inquirers class for about 6 mos. I recently bought a 33 knot prayer rope. It has enriched my prayer life. Unfortunately, it is coming apart between 2 of the knots. For some reason instead of a rope being between these 2 knots they seem to be sewn together. The stitches are pulling loose from me taking it on and off. Is this normal? Should it be sewn together at one place? Should I try to fix it or just get a new one? Any suggestion where I can get a well made I one?
Thanks!

Reactions: All4Christ

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone!

I have been visiting an EO church and going to Inquirers class for about 6 mos. I recently bought a 33 knot prayer rope. It has enriched my prayer life. Unfortunately, it is coming apart between 2 of the knots. For some reason instead of a rope being between these 2 knots they seem to be sewn together. The stitches are pulling loose from me taking it on and off. Is this normal? Should it be sewn together at one place? Should I try to fix it or just get a new one? Any suggestion where I can get a well made I one?
Thanks!

I'm not sure what is best with fixing prayer ropes, but I want to welcome you to The Ancient Way! We are happy to have you here :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone!

Thanks!

Hi escuej1, and welcome to CF and to TAW!

I'm not an expert on prayer ropes (I buy mine) but I want to be able to make them. What I do know is that they should not be sewn together, no. But beyond that I'm not sure. I have wondered if some of the very inexpensive prayer ropes are perhaps not hand-tied. I do have one that is very inexpensive and has two knots joined together in a way, making it difficult to count with them, but mine is holding fast so I can't say if it's sewn or not.

I did have a nun tell me that they can be pulled apart, and she advised I measure the longest stretch I wanted, and take a needle with thread and pass it through all the knots and tie it off at that length. I've never had it happen, but she says if it catches on something when walking by, it can tear apart many knots. (Then again, as a nun she has a 300-knot she wears at her waist, so it's easier to snag - but laymen aren't to wear them like that.)

I'm getting ready to have to order a couple more. I'm planning to get them from St. Paisius Monastery, because the sisters there will make what I want (which is a longer one without any bead or counter, and I've never seen one available). Their prices are fair, and you can choose whatever you want - lots of colors and styles, etc.

But often you can find them in a Church's parish bookstore, or visiting a monastery, etc. if there is anything close to you. Those are the most economical sources I've found. (Also no shipping.)

One word about price - and I'm still learning myself - but those really inexpensive ones (usually about $4 for 33-knot) seem to be inferior quality and made of a synthetic material. They get hard as rocks pretty quickly, ime. Starting at around $8 you can find hand-tied ones from wool, which I find more comfortable and longer lasting. That's also the traditional style, if that matters to you.

I've also seen silk hand-tied ones online, cheaper than wool, from a monastery. I thought about that for replacing longer ropes, where the cost is higher. But I haven't tried them and haven't gotten real feedback from others either.

So it really depends on what you want in terms of cost, durability, etc. and what your local options are.

Not sure if that really helps, but I did want to welcome you to TAW and to CF! I pray that you're blessed by being here, and please do let us know if you need any help navigating the forums or have any other questions.

Again, welcome! :)

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Another note - speaking from the time it takes to hand tie a prayer rope - I think 8 dollars is more than fair. I'd pay more than that, as I know it takes me hours to do even a 33 know rope. Perhaps they are faster :) but I appreciate their skill!

Upvote 0