Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I can see how it would be confusing for the Catholic child to hear one thing from his Catholic father, and another thing from his Baptist stepfather.

However, the Catholic Church teaches:

Whether prayer is expressed in words or gestures, it is the whole man who prays. But in naming the source of prayer, Scripture speaks sometimes of the soul or the spirit, but most often of the heart (more than a thousand times). According to Scripture, it is the heart that prays. If our heart is far from God, the words of prayer are in vain. (Catholic Catechism 2562)

As you can see, the official position of the Catholic Church is that prayer needs to come from the heart. This is what Bluelion told his stepson, and hence he was actually nurturing him in a completely acceptable way. If his biological Catholic father was not able to teach him this, then we should actually be applauding Bluelion for helping his stepson grow in his faith. :clap:

God Bless you Brother. I know You have a great reward for your kind and thoughtful words as they mean a great deal to me. thank you.

This is why I try to treat people individually and not by denomination. I thought I disagreed with most Catholics but when you site things from the church i see there really is no disagreement. Thank you, i hope to give you a big hug for this in heaven one day. Peace be with you. blu

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To the OP:

I remember how as a kid my parents would force one of us boys to "say the blessin", which consisted of a short and redundant couplet we had before every meal. At some point, I began to see the un-necessity of it, and so I finished mine as rapidly as I could when one random day they instructed me to do it. I received several glares and was told that I "didn't say it right".

But you know what? My parents--namely, my Dad--was being a hypocrite. He has his own little silly recital before fancy meals that he says with such rapidity and pointlessness, and we are not allowed to eat until he finishes.

But this is before bed, not a meal, and I think it's good to train a child to pray when they have alone time. You did good there, although after having been on CF for a while I realize that there is no right or wrong way to pray so long as it's to God and Jesus.:pray:

Also, on a personal note, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I'm sorry that your stepson's biological father had a criminal background, but you don't have to have that to be convict. Many people with Asperger's are too goody-two-shoes to commit a crime, actually. Furthermore, Asperger's Syndrome isn't a "social disease"--it's a condition which causes the individual's brain to be slightly "rewired" and "altered" in such a way that makes social situations difficult to understand and process. I've never been involved in crime before, not even drug possession, so obviously we're not all criminals, nor are we guaranteed to become that way.

Sorry if you think the last paragraph was redundant (ironically). I just don't want people getting the wrong idea about people like me. People with Asperger's can be great parents if they provide love and sound, godly instruction.

Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Children cry when they are threatened and strike back out of fear. Men stand their ground and strike back only when necessary. Children think that anyone who opposes them is their enemy and wants to harm them. Men know that opposition is strengthening and iron sharpens iron. They take what is handed out without complaint and use it to build their own strength or let it bounce off them.
I understand now and thank you. I have a young nephew and it is the same with him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
To the OP:

I remember how as a kid my parents would force one of us boys to "say the blessin", which consisted of a short and redundant couplet we had before every meal. At some point, I began to see the un-necessity of it, and so I finished mine as rapidly as I could when one random day they instructed me to do it. I received several glares and was told that I "didn't say it right".

But you know what? My parents--namely, my Dad--was being a hypocrite. He has his own little silly recital before fancy meals that he says with such rapidity and pointlessness, and we are not allowed to eat until he finishes.

But this is before bed, not a meal, and I think it's good to train a child to pray when they have alone time. You did good there, although after having been on CF for a while I realize that there is no right or wrong way to pray so long as it's to God and Jesus.:pray:

Also, on a personal note, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I'm sorry that your stepson's biological father had a criminal background, but you don't have to have that to be convict. Many people with Asperger's are too goody-two-shoes to commit a crime, actually. Furthermore, Asperger's Syndrome isn't a "social disease"--it's a condition which causes the individual's brain to be slightly "rewired" and "altered" in such a way that makes social situations difficult to understand and process. I've never been involved in crime before, not even drug possession, so obviously we're not all criminals, nor are we guaranteed to become that way.

Sorry if you think the last paragraph was redundant (ironically). I just don't want people getting the wrong idea about people like me. People with Asperger's can be great parents if they provide love and sound, godly instruction.

I am sorry I did not mean to impy all people with asperger"s were criminals. I just meant he can not inter act socially because of it.

Upvote 0

twob4me

Shark bait hoo ha ha
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2003
Here :)
✟215,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT ON!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This thread has gone through a clean up and it's quite possible a further cleaning will take place. If you notice a post of yours missing it was removed in the clean up.

Please remember this part of the Flame rule when posting:

Flaming

●
Please treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue. Refrain from insulting, inflammatory, or goading remarks. When you disagree, remember to address the content of the post and not the poster personally.

You can find that, along with the rest of the Flame and Harassment rule, listed withing the Christian Forums Rules / Terms of Service

So to break that down.... when you post you are to treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue. You are to refrain from using any insulting, inflammatory or Goading remarks. Should you find that you disagree with a member you are to address the content of the post NOT the poster personally. That was not happening here.

~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT OFF!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upvote 0