Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have two step sons both live with there dad's. My youngest was praying the other night when he was over, and he start with hail Mary full of grace. I took issue with this as he sounded like a robot. His dad is Catholic. I stopped my son in the middle of his prayer, to which my wife yelled at me for but I did not care. I asked him what he felt, what was in his heart, what he wanted to say to God not what he had been taught to say to God. I walked him through prayers of the heart. He kind of got it.

What is your thought about reciting pre programmed prayers? I don't think God listens to that kind of prayer, but was hoping to get others thoughts on it. DO you agree we should not have a set thing we say to God? Is that even a prayer.
God says do not be like those of other religious who think they will be heard for there many words. Mat 6

7 “When you pray, don’t babble on and on as people of other religions do. They think their prayers are answered merely by repeating their words again and again. 8 Don’t be like them, for your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask him! 9 Pray like this:

Does this include pre programmed prayers?

G

godenver1

I have two step sons both live with there dad's. My youngest was praying the other night when he was over, and he start with hail Mary full of grace. I took issue with this as he sounded like a robot. His dad is Catholic. I stopped my son in the middle of his prayer, to which my wife yelled at me for but I did not care. I asked him what he felt, what was in his heart, what he wanted to say to God not what he had been taught to say to God. I walked him through prayers of the heart. He kind of got it.

What is your thought about reciting pre programmed prayers? I don't think God listens to that kind of prayer, but was hoping to get others thoughts on it. DO you agree we should not have a set thing we say to God? Is that even a prayer.
God says do not be like those of other religious who think they will be heard for there many words. Mat 6

7 “When you pray, don’t babble on and on as people of other religions do. They think their prayers are answered merely by repeating their words again and again. 8 Don’t be like them, for your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask him! 9 Pray like this:

Does this include pre programmed prayers?

Do you mean written prayers, like reading from a list? The Lord's Prayer and the Psalms are 151 examples from the Bible that I can think of off the top of my head

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Do you mean written prayers, like reading from a list? The Lord's Prayer and the Psalms are 151 examples from the Bible that I can think of off the top of my head

The Catholics have set prayers. The one he was doing was the hail Mary full of grace pray for us sinners.

I have memorized the Lords prayer but I think that prayer is meant to be examined and an example of how we should prayer. If I do repeat it I think on each word and mean each word from my heart, but I don't think my son gave thought to what he was saying. And then there is the issue praying to Mary.

Upvote 0
G

godenver1

The Catholics have set prayers. The one he was doing was the hail Mary full of grace pray for us sinners.

I have memorized the Lords prayer but I think that prayer is meant to be examined and an example of how we should prayer. If I do repeat it I think on each word and mean each word from my heart, but I don't think my son gave thought to what he was saying. And then there is the issue praying to Mary.

I don't think Catholics believe they pray to Mary. There are some very friendly posters on the Catholic forum here and If you've got any genuine queries (and aren't just up for an argument) I'm sure they are happy to help you:)

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Good evening brother Bluelion.

I agree that the best prayer comes from the heart, I have been to plenty of functions where people literally just go through the motions with the Lord's Prayer or saying "Grace" at dinner...and it seems like a vain ritual rather than a prayer if there is no heart in it.

When I pray I talk to Christ, I ask him questions and I beg his mercy. Most of my prayers are personal, non "scripted" if you will...I feel his presence when I pray like this. I feel love.

When I do pray a formulaic prayer (like the lord's prayer) I try to put my heart into it. When I am in church for instance we sing it, and I feel the spirit as I sing with my brethren. I am also reminded of hesychasts who pray the Jesus Prayer without ceasing over and over again, some say it is vain and repetitive, but truthfully they are burning Jesus into their mind and soul...their heart is in it. So there are instances when formulaic prayer is very beneficial, but if someone is praying it simply because it is a family "custom" or "expected" before a meal or outing then I believe the value is lost.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Matthew: 6. 7. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. - Bible Offline

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matthew: 6. 7. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. - Bible Offline
Good verses.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Good evening brother Bluelion.

I agree that the best prayer comes from the heart, I have been to plenty of functions where people literally just go through the motions with the Lord's Prayer or saying "Grace" at dinner...and it seems like a vain ritual rather than a prayer if there is no heart in it.

When I pray I talk to Christ, I ask him questions and I beg his mercy. Most of my prayers are personal, non "scripted" if you will...I feel his presence when I pray like this. I feel love.

When I do pray a formulaic prayer (like the lord's prayer) I try to put my heart into it. When I am in church for instance we sing it, and I feel the spirit as I sing with my brethren. I am also reminded of hesychasts who pray the Jesus Prayer without ceasing over and over again, some say it is vain and repetitive, but truthfully they are burning Jesus into their mind and soul...their heart is in it. So there are instances when formulaic prayer is very beneficial, but if someone is praying it simply because it is a family "custom" or "expected" before a meal or outing then I believe the value is lost.

thank you brother. This is the way I feel also. That was interesting what you siad about burning Christ into your mind I had not heard that before.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Thank you brother.

I feel I should correct Him when i see him praying in vain. I think that what it was to vain. He was doing it because he had been taught it. Not because he meant it.

Upvote 0

James Is Back

CF's Official Locksmith
Aug 21, 2014
Oklahoma
✟32,480.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As long as the prayers come from the heart a set same prayer isn't wrong nor is when praying before a meal.

All prayers regardless must come from the heart and not in vain otherwise it's not genuine that includes repeating the Lord's prayer. If one repeats the Lord's prayer as His own prayer and means it(has it in his heart)then there isn't anything wrong with that but like the scripture in Matthew 6:7 don't pray in vain repetitions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can see how it would be confusing for the Catholic child to hear one thing from his Catholic father, and another thing from his Baptist stepfather.

However, the Catholic Church teaches:

Whether prayer is expressed in words or gestures, it is the whole man who prays. But in naming the source of prayer, Scripture speaks sometimes of the soul or the spirit, but most often of the heart (more than a thousand times). According to Scripture, it is the heart that prays. If our heart is far from God, the words of prayer are in vain. (Catholic Catechism 2562)

As you can see, the official position of the Catholic Church is that prayer needs to come from the heart. This is what Bluelion told his stepson, and hence he was actually nurturing him in a completely acceptable way. If his biological Catholic father was not able to teach him this, then we should actually be applauding Bluelion for helping his stepson grow in his faith. :clap:

Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure but wouldn't both be appropriate with a young child and new believers? The chapter you quoted goes on to show us how to pray using the Lord's Prayer. I realize it doesn't necessarily mean we should mindlessly pray it. But can't the Lord's Prayer come from our heart? When I was little, I was taught some prayers to memorize and as I became more aware of my surroundings I would add things to the prayer. Bless the ketchup, bless the kitty, help me find my teddy etc....that childlike faith kind of things.
Also I think Bluelion can teach his step son to pray from the heart and not upset his biological father. I can't imagine any father would be upset to hear a from the heart prayer from his child. Probably just have to be careful not to put down the other belief system within the child's hearing.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If Blue doesn't want his stepson praying to Mary in his house, there are other Catholic prayers that are not very controversial and can be "fun" for a child to learn to pray. Like the "Jesus Payer" - "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinful one." This way Blue wouldn't be stepping on the religion of the boy's biological father, but he also would feel comfortable with the prayer being said. Just my two cents, it's up to blue, I know he will only do what is best for his stepson. :)

Upvote 0