ThyLovingkindness

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
✟14,359.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow. Hard to believe this story's real. However, even mental health professionals need the Lord, otherwise I conclude that a few of them fall short of ethics. I border on judgmentalism by even stating the preceding... God forgive me.

I'm praying for the desire to pray for those who know not what they do. Also, I pray for patience with those who aren't saved, and a heart for the same's salvation. Blessings!

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Some people fail to realize how easily and quickly they could have - or still could - end up on the other side of the equation, due to a bad decision, trauma, or chastisement as with Nebuchadnezzar.

My prayer also is that the church will rise up in the power of the Holy Spirit and in the name of Jesus bind up the wounded and set the captives free.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Dear Lord, I pray for this person who is working with people who need help and empathy. please give her the gifts to help them.

Lord, I pray for the mentally ill people, like me and my friend, to be given strength to endure our struggles and the misunderstanding of others...we know You love us and understand us.

Praying in agreement. (((Hug)))

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
i'm a hard working person who struggles with mental illness. i know soooo many other people like me....capable, intelligent, usually very kind and compassionate people...who are misunderstood.

just today, a customer bought a pair of earrings that were made by a friend who is very smart and hard-working, but mentally ill. she had met him once, but she didn't know he made the earrings she was buying.

while i was wrapping the earrings for her, she was criticizing him. "you know that homeless guy who comes in here? he's always saying he makes jewelry for this store. he's so weird."

"yes, we buy some of our jewelry from him. he's okay...a little awkward," i said.

"no, i'm a mental health professional. i know him from another context. he's schizophrenic," she said.

"if you're a professional, are you supposed to be telling me medical information about other people?" i challenged her.

"he's not my client. i heard him say it one time, at a bar. nevermind," she said, annoyed. then she left in a huff.

the whole time, she had no idea that my schizophrenic friend was the one who made the earrings that she loved so much. i didn't tell her. i was afraid she would decide to return them.

i just get so frustrated with people...here was a person who is paid good money to be helping people with mental illnesses, and she's so critical and mean. God, please have mercy...i wanted to just smack her.

society *doesn't understand* mental illness...even those who are supposed to be helping. i just feel like people just don't care.

so, i would like to pray today for more understanding for people who struggle with mental illness.

Incredible, nicedream! Pity you didn't say to her: 'You, a professional, and you don't know that schizophrenia isn't the result of a moral failing, but a psychotic disease, an affliction!' Of course, if a person is bad to begin with, that could be another story, but she presumably had no good reason to arrive at that conclusion.

I would have thought of it, half an our too late. I believe the French call that 'l'esprit de l'escalier' - something like 'stair-case smarts', thinking of a good riposte, after you've left.

Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
ph-1.gif
May God bless all those afflicted with healing of mind, body, and spirit, in His merciful Love.

Upvote 0

nicedream

Senior Veteran
Aug 22, 2011
✟10,214.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Incredible, nicedream! Pity you didn't say to her: 'You, a professional, and you don't know that schizophrenia isn't the result of a moral failing, but a psychotic disease, an affliction!' Of course, if a person is bad to begin with, that could be another story, but she presumably had no good reason to arrive at that conclusion.

i don't think hanging out with someone at a pub counts as a professional assessment!! :) he probably "overshared" with her about his mental illness.

my husband and i have befriended this guy because he makes decent jewelry. he has a lot of problems and we like to help people. we have also witnessed about Christ to him. at the moment, he's not interested in religion.

although technically he is homeless, he is employed by a Christian man. his boss is giving him a temporary place to live. his boss has also been witnessing to him.

something tells me that God's not going to let him go...i feel like God's pursuing him.

still, we don't know much about his past. it can be a risk to befriend someone who is an adult with a mental illness. you don't know their whole story. still, we believe it is a risk worth taking. otherwise, many people will go through life alone...for no reason other than they are afflicted with an illness they did not want or deserve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
i don't think hanging out with someone at a pub counts as a professional assessment!! :) he probably "overshared" with her about his mental illness.

my husband and i have befriended this guy because he makes decent jewelry. he has a lot of problems and we like to help people. we have also witnessed about Christ to him. at the moment, he's not interested in religion.

although technically he is homeless, he is employed by a Christian man. his boss is giving him a temporary place to live. his boss has also been witnessing to him.

something tells me that God's not going to let him go...i feel like God's pursuing him.

still, we don't know much about his past. it can be a risk to befriend someone who is an adult with a mental illness. you don't know their whole story. still, we believe it is a risk worth taking. otherwise, many people will go through life alone...for no reason other than they are afflicted with an illness they did not want or deserve.

It is a courageous thing to do. God bless you for your magnanimous spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Would he/you consider selling his jewelry on ebay? There would possibly be a larger customer base. Continuing to pray, dear heart (((hug)))

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.