• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Pray that I can break my label.

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Looking at all those blogs of people who embrace their AS, I get worried. I'm worried that I'll be like them and just see my condition as my identity.

I won't want to be that way. My identity is with Christ. Right now I'm very lonely, anxious about my future, and depressed, because I feel like my AS defines all of me. I don't want it to. I just want to be a person who happens to have it that doesn't spend all of his time talking about it or thinking about it.

I basically just want to accept that I have Asperger's, recognize that I can adjust and change myself if I need to (I know about all the IEPs and neurodiversity and whatnot, but I want to try and manage social situations and learn social skills so I can have friends), and then I can live my life for Christ.

I'm tired of feeling sad about this, like I'm an alien and COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from EVERYONE around me. I'm not. I'm a human being, not an alien. Please, pray that I can realize this fact.

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to CF :wave:
While I have had no experience or real knowledge of AS, I do hear what you are saying re: labels because my (now grown) son was a preemie with disabilities that challenged him throughout his life (still does).
Be assured you will be in my prayers.
May God bless you in His Merciful love :crossrc:

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you seek popularity, Christianity is not the best way to go... ;)

“If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.” John 15:19

A song based on this verse...

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, guys. I'm feeling better, but very often I end up slipping back into those feelings. I just sort of have to look at them rationally the next day and realize that I'm not lacking all that much. It's just all in my head, really, but the feelings come so often. Do you think it's a devil or something? Is there a spiritual component to all of this?

And thanks for putting up with me, Sabertooth :D That song was really helpful. I've never heard of some of these bands.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Now is another one of those bad days. I feel like I've been falling back into my old sinful habits. Please pray for me some more. I know that sounds kind of silly, but sometimes it's hard for me to change because I feel like I'm stuck the way I am. Not just with social skills, but just with my sinful nature.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi vizier ..... change takes time often coming with maturity. I don't think maturity can be rushed too much. But you can I think learn to communicate better with people. Learn some of the topics people like to talk about so you have something in common with them.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now is another one of those bad days. I feel like I've been falling back into my old sinful habits. Please pray for me some more. I know that sounds kind of silly, but sometimes it's hard for me to change because I feel like I'm stuck the way I am. Not just with social skills, but just with my sinful nature.
"If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just (true to His own nature and promises) and will forgive our sins [dismiss our lawlessness] and [continuously] cleanse us from all unrighteousness [everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought, and action]." 1 John 1:9, Amplified Bible (AMP)

"The Lord makes firm the steps
of the one who delights in him;

though he may stumble, he will not fall,
for the Lord upholds him with his hand.
" Psalm 37:23-24, New International Version (NIV)

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just (true to His own nature and promises) and will forgive our sins [dismiss our lawlessness] and [continuously] cleanse us from all unrighteousness [everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought, and action]." 1 John 1:9, Amplified Bible (AMP)

"The Lord makes firm the steps
of the one who delights in him;

though he may stumble, he will not fall,
for the Lord upholds him with his hand.
" Psalm 37:23-24, New International Version (NIV)

Thanks. I never really seem to remember these verses in my dark moments.:preach::amen: It's just more of that perfectionism I was having an issue with. It has to do with the stuff I described in my other post in the Christian advice section.

Now I'm "ok", but I honestly feel like the next time something happens, I'll let it get to me. Again. I guess I just sort of have to remember what I've learned about thinking like that.

Also, good news. I'm beginning to sort of accept my Asperger's. Or, namely, I'm beginning to realize that accepting it doesn't mean I'm accommodating flaws, excusing sin, being a jerk, etc. It sort of came with time and understanding but I think God had a lot to do with it. The Bible verses in my new signature sort of reflect this.

It's funny. Today I went into a pharmacy and got some stuff (alone), but when I was leaving I momentarily forgot my stuff--I paid for it and then left it on the counter and almost went back to my car (and no, no one bothered to point it out for me). I had to go back in there and get it, and when I was leaving I couldn't help but think of how awkward that was, or how if someone else in my family had been there they would have chewed me out for messing that up (or at least, I suppose they would have:confused:).

It's not that big of a deal, but I feel like that really should have been more awkward than it was. But I just remembered Isaiah 51:12 and remembered that it didn't matter what total strangers thought of me, or what people who didn't know me well thought of me. It just didn't matter in the grand scheme of things.:)

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a good thing God doesn't ask us to be perfect, huh? :):amen:
He commands it:

"You, therefore, must be perfect [growing into complete [a]maturity of godliness in mind and character, having reached the proper height of virtue and integrity], as your heavenly Father is perfect." Matthew 5:48, Amplified Bible (AMP)

but in a very clear-cut way,

"[By] fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith." Hebrews 12:2, New International Version (NIV)

If we do that,

"...when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is." 1 John 3:2, New King James Version (NKJV)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Looking at all those blogs of people who embrace their AS, I get worried. I'm worried that I'll be like them and just see my condition as my identity.

I won't want to be that way. My identity is with Christ. Right now I'm very lonely, anxious about my future, and depressed, because I feel like my AS defines all of me. I don't want it to. I just want to be a person who happens to have it that doesn't spend all of his time talking about it or thinking about it.

I basically just want to accept that I have Asperger's, recognize that I can adjust and change myself if I need to (I know about all the IEPs and neurodiversity and whatnot, but I want to try and manage social situations and learn social skills so I can have friends), and then I can live my life for Christ.

I'm tired of feeling sad about this, like I'm an alien and COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from EVERYONE around me. I'm not. I'm a human being, not an alien. Please, pray that I can realize this fact.

I would say to you that God doesn't need you to learn how to manage social situations and learn social skills before you can live for Christ. He wants to use you as you are

Gillian

Upvote 0