Pray for peace!

N

Nik0s

Through the prayers of our holy fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us!

Almighty God and Creator, You are the Father of all people on the earth. Guide, I pray, all the nations and their leaders in the ways of justice and peace. Protect us from the evils of injustice, prejudice, exploitation, conflict and war. Help us to put away mistrust, bitterness and hatred. Teach us to cease the storing and using of implements of war. Lead us to find peace, respect and freedom. Unite us in the making and sharing of tools of peace against ignorance, poverty, disease and oppression. Grant that we may grow in harmony and friendship as brothers and sisters created in Your image, to Your honor and praise. Amen.

:crosseo: Lord, have mercy.

I thought this thread would be appropriate in dark times such as these. May The Lord hear our prayer.

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,791.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Молитвами святих отців наших, Господи Ісусе Христе, Боже наш, помилуй нас.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, what she said....I think? :p

Молитвами святих отців наших, Господи Ісусе Христе, Боже наш, помилуй нас.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You sure do, Anhelyna! In our parish, the Slavonic parts italicized are translated phonetically with English alphabet! LOL....Gurney isn't a master of Cyrillic!
You mean I really need to translate that ??

Here's a clue - "Through the prayers of ................ "

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's crazy!? I'm so glad Father George makes things so easy on us. Like on the Hymn to the Theotokos it is written under the English in italics:

Dostoyno yest yako voistinu blazhiti tya Bogoroditsu....etc.

Heck - I don't speak Ukrainian but I can read it :) And I sing it :)

We don't have any bilingual books as yet [ and we are going bi-lingual in the autumn !! ] and I read in cyrillic :)

Upvote 0
N

Nik0s

That's crazy!? I'm so glad Father George makes things so easy on us. Like on the Hymn to the Theotokos it is written under the English in italics:

Dostoyno yest yako voistinu blazhiti tya Bogoroditsu....etc.
We have bilingual service books, that have the Greek phonetics and the Greek alphabet as well,,it's really cool. Although most Greek American youth go to Greek school to learn the language. Eight years of Greek school here! :D

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,791.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Dunno about Greek - but the advantage of not using transliteration for Ukrainian for me is that each character in Ukrainian is only pronounced one way [ compare that with English ?? ] As a result once each character has been learned you can slowly start to learn to read in the original.

I still find Reading in Church very scary - but I do it if necessary and I do read in Cyrillic.

Tip - when learning - try enlarging the type size by at least one point - it is easier

Upvote 0
N

Nik0s

Dunno about Greek - but the advantage of not using transliteration for Ukrainian for me is that each character in Ukrainian is only pronounced one way [ compare that with English ?? ] As a result once each character has been learned you can slowly start to learn to read in the original.
Yes and no. For someone like myself who's at a near native level of fluency the Greek alphabet is perfectly fine. For those new to Greek it's can be a bit daunting. The letters all make one sound, but there are other sounds when letters are next to each other. The word for priest for example (ιερεύς) is pronounced "Ierefs" and not "Iereus."

Upvote 0