Practical Commentary on Scripture (moved from OBOB)

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Two OTL volumes free!
Use the link: https://www.logos.com/BUY/49685,49684
or the corresponding Verbum link: https://verbum.com/BUY/49685,49684
... the links take You to a page that looks like this:
3302.otl.free.volumes.png

They are free from now and throughout April 2015 and they are great, but don't get too tempted adding all kinds of stuff! I rarely add free books and restrict my purchases. I had these already (the whole OTL set), the screencapture is taken with the account for a friend:
I've been very pleased with OTL (Old Testament Library). I was reading the books of Samuel recently from the New American Bible Revised Edition and find these stories very exiting:
Old Testament Library (7 vols.). I would use these volumes:
Judges by Niditch
I & II Samuel by A. Graeme Auld
I & II Kings by Sweeney (this volume seems to have new research and to be renewing preceding Academic commentary in other series)
Song of Songs by Exum
Micah by Mays

EDIT: Another software to consider (which I think is better because a bit cheaper, much better customer service, much less aggressive marketing, less risk You'll spend too much, better easier and more reliable language tools, menus for constructing commands instead of command-line interface like in Logos/Verbum/Noet), is: Accordance ... click that link to see that they're offering a 20% off store-wide discount right now until midnight April 6. EDT 2015. It's not freeware except on iPad, and the smallest Collection which You'll need for running it on desktop or laptop, is cheap. It works on both Mac and Windows natively.

EDIT2: Two cheap commentary volumes in Logos/Verbum/Noet, covering Isaiah and Jeremiah: Select Commentaries of William L. Holladay (2 vols.) - it's a favourite author of mine and the price is only $16.99 as a pre-publication order.

Previously edited by Unix; 1st April 2015 at 10:37 AM local time. Reason: Accordance 20% off

Last edited:
Upvote 0

loves2preach

May 24, 2015
✟7,632.00
Faith
Baptist
I added 3 more Hermeneia-volumes, look in:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7644634-post60159103/#poststop
... and click the link Hermeneia Upgrade (3 vols.)Thanks cybrwurm for the opinion!
One of the technical commentaries does however have a point regarding one verse: Hermeneia-series Matthew 8-20, by Ulrich Luz, a 600-page volume, and it tells us that Mt 11:27 was added by the church. That particular verse, not its parallel passage, was used by Arians to refuse Trinity, plus a today's denomination (I ordered their booklet for free). See the page from Hermeneia: p. 164

One of the technical commentaries does however have a point regarding one verse: Hermeneia-series Matthew 8-20, by Ulrich Luz, a 600-page volume, and it tells us that Mt 11:27 was added by the church. That particular verse, not its parallel passage, was used by Arians to refuse Trinity, plus a today's denomination (I ordered their booklet for free). See the page from Hermeneia: p. 164

Upvote 0

loves2preach

May 24, 2015
✟7,632.00
Faith
Baptist
I still hold to all the recommendations I've given in this thread "Practical Commentary on Scripture".
See this new post: What are the Top Ten Intermediate commentary series prioritised in your Logos and justify? - Logos Bible Software Forums

The largest part of the commentaries I have are in Logos.

Someone has offered me a "used" copy of UBS Translators Handbook New Testament in Accordance, I'm thinking of bidding $85. And I want to have Sirach in Logos or Accordance - whichever releases it. But that and some technical commentaries I have don't belong in "Practical Commentaries on Scripture". One of the technical commentaries does however have a point regarding one verse: Hermeneia-series Matthew 8-20, by Ulrich Luz, a 600-page volume, and it tells us that Mt 11:27 was added by the church. That particular verse, not its parallel passage, was used by Arians to refuse Trinity, plus a today's denomination (I ordered their booklet for free). See the page from Hermeneia: p. 164.

When I'm going to college I'm going to be well prepared. I'm going to take classical Gk classes first. I have been buying books which I will have use of for a long time:... I would have wanted to keep discussing with cybrwurm.

I have some commentaries as printed matter, I've mentioned most of them here.

Accordance is currently running a ale on Hermeneia until midnight EDT Monday, June 1, 2015, and that the sale over includes both the full set, upgrades, and the NT or OT sets. Purchasing a set once entitle the owner of an Accordance license to purchase upgrades when they come out, a few of the older volumes are being replaced and volumes that cover parts of the Bile and Apocrypha/Apostolic Fathers not previously covered are either forthcoming or will probably be covered some point in the future.
I personally find great value in the set. I have used various volumes for research papers in grad school and sermon prep. I highly recommend.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, loves2preach! (Notice he mentioned a sale!)
As I have the full Accordance Hermeneia Old Testament set since Sept. 8., I've made sure I also have following New Testament volumes:
Hermeneia: Matthew 1–7: A Commentary on Matthew 1–7 $45
Hermeneia: Luke 1: A Commentary on the Gospel of Luke 1:1–9:50 $41.40
Hermeneia: Acts: A Commentary on the Book of Acts $51
Hermeneia: The Didache: A Commentary on the Didache $33
Hermeneia: The Johannine Letters: A Commentary on 1, 2, and 3 John $31.80
(And I have access to the Galatians volume in the Continental -series which complements Hermeneia but is not yet out in Accordance, also the Leviticus -volume in the Continental -series is a must-have, I'm going to get it, it's by Jacob Milgrom.)
I've been using all of these and they are by favourite authors, except Didache which I didn't discover until now. I would have ordered the Matthew 8-20 -volume as well if I would not have had it as printed matter since a long time. Georg Strecker (the 1-3 Jn -volume) is an outstanding author (who has also written a New Testament theology). See also the post: "A commentary on 1 Jn!!": http://www.christianforums.com/thre...-moved-from-obob.7541241/page-6#post-64288628 which is about a commentary by Judith M. Lieu. The Matthew volumes have some good insights and I quote something about the Matthew volume: "This goes beyond what the Hermeneia series usually does, since the four-volume German original in the Evangelisch-Katholischer Kommentar zum Neuen Testament includes sections titled “Wirkungsgeschichte,” “History of Interpretation” in this English translation. (I find the translation “History of Influence” in the Linss translation of volume 1 much better, more accurately reflecting what is actually done in these sections.)" Source: http://www.bookreviews.org/pdf/5050_5320.pdf
Bovon laboured on the Lk -commentary for decades since the '70s. I have the other Lk -volumes as well.
I think the Acts volume is the best for that part of the Bible:
Accordance is currently running a ale on Hermeneia until midnight EDT Monday, June 1, 2015, and that the sale over includes both the full set, upgrades, and the NT or OT sets. Purchasing a set once entitle the owner of an Accordance license to purchase upgrades when they come out, a few of the older volumes are being replaced and volumes that cover parts of the Bile and Apocrypha/Apostolic Fathers not previously covered are either forthcoming or will probably be covered some point in the future.
I personally find great value in the set. I have used various volumes for research papers in grad school and sermon prep. I highly recommend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
OliveTree offers Encyclopedia of Ancient Christianity (3 Vols.). I bought it when it first came out there. It's so great: the functionality is that while You are reading the Bible, it automatically looks up definitions from Encyclopedia of Ancient Christianity to words in the verses You are currently reading and shows in a window next to Your Bible - without that You click at all! If You are to get this resource, go to: https://www.olivetree.com/store/product.php?productid=25779 at latest Monday June 8. before midnight Pacific Standard Time!:
1 Clem:
I bought and got home yesterday The First Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians, by W K Lowther Clarke D.D., Society for promoting Christian knowledge (a publisher that still exists), (1937)
EDIT1 June 19. 2012: I think the commentary is very good (called introduction).
It has a 44½ page introduction (there's of course also on top of that about authorship, occasion of the letter, dating, manuscripts).
Contents of the introduction (about 1 page each if nothing mentioned): Discussing Peter a lot several pages; 3 pages the intervention of the Roman church; the doctrine of God; Christology; the holy Spirit; 9 pages the church of Rome in the 1st century and the Church; 3½ pages the ministry; Paulinism: the Atonement, Justification, etc.; Eschatology; relation to the state; morality; a little more than 1 page the Old Testament; 4 pages the New Testament; 6 pages liturgy; 3 pages conclusion; the entire books of 1 Clem critically translated; 22 pages notes; 1 page general index; almost 2½ pages index of Biblical quotations
[...]
Previously edited by Unix; 19th June 2012 at 7:55 AM local time. Reason: correct typos &add 1999 The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations
Previously edited by Unix; 10th January 2013 at 2:20 AM local time. Reason: add new Ro review and note new edition of Apostolic Fathers
Previously edited by Unix; 11th January 2013 at 3:17 PM local time. Reason: clarificiations
I recently wrote about a purchase I made during a sale in Libronix/Logos/Verbum/Noet:
I've made sure I also have following [...] volumes:
[...]
Hermeneia: The Didache: A Commentary on the Didache $33
[...]

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Has anyone read this book by TAN? Apparently it was recommended by 14 bishops and I think even a Pope. It was made in 1920, but it is such a good book apparently a lot of people use it today and had 16 editions. And it probably isn't littered with too much historo-criticism like the New Jerome's commentary is. I found one on amazon for 2 bux! You gotta love the older catholic books. They have this kick that the newer ones just don't have. They don't have problems using words like "Sodomites" and "reprobates", lol. Especially comments like this:

"Detest and fear sin, especially sins of impurity. Set hell before your eyes, think of the horrible torments, carefully avoid all temptations to such sins. Say thus" "What will the whole world profit me, if I follow my own inclinations, and suffer eternity in hell!"

You just don't get stuff like that anymore in sermons or books , lol.

http://books.google.com/books?id=4Y...m=4&sqi=2&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Have you ever read any of John Chrysostom's commentaries on the New Testament?

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The Eph Col volume I mentioned and recommended on Aug. 18. last year is now on a sale, the sale price is $1.99: https://verbum.com/products/22818/paideia-commentaries-on-the-new-testament-ephesians-and-colossians I'm glad I have been using it - it was well worth its price and still is (I paid $22.50 on March 26. 2014) so I wouldn't part with it. Sometimes I cancel items by this author but this one is a keeper. 30-day money-back refund policy (pre-pubs can be cancelled before they ship, money isn't withdrawn until they ship). But if You don't want to use this series or this software/Logos, don't jump on more! I enjoy at least half of the volumes in this series myself. If I would not have had had a lot in the software before the purchase date of this and if I also would not have seen several reasons to buy more after that date I would not have bought all the volumes in this series that I did (I'll never buy all volumes and have decided since a long time which '00s -volumes not to get). I'm not buying more in the software though:
order.March.26.2014.png
[/URL]
Eph Col volume in action! See: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/87879.aspx ... the commentary I'm referring to is Ephesians Colossians in the Paideia -series by Charles H. Talbert. I bought that volume in Logos on March 26. 2014. (OliveTree also carries it but is a little more expensive.) You can also sometimes find worn paperback copies for a fair price considering it's not older than from 2007.

Other Ephesians commentaries I've written about previously in this thread:
Eph by Pheme Perkins presents....
A competing Colossians commentary (just that book of the Bible), see this volume that I discussed during the Spring: A commentary on 1 Jn!! As an...:
In fact meta-studies have shown that the scholarly consensus was never as assured about Colossians and Ephesians being non-Pauline as was often stated. [...]

I'm overjoyed about new posts in this thread, keep them coming and I'm sure there are some who follow this thread! Do You have any specific modern translation of a Church Father in mind?

My most recent purchases are some Word Biblical Commentary -volumes although it's not a series I normally favour.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
This commentary on 1 Pt that I mentioned back in 2012, is now free for another 6 days: Paul Achtemeier (1996). 1 Peter (Hermeneia), log in with Your Logos/Faithlife credentials in a web-browser, make sure in the browser settings that You don't have pop-ups blocked and turn off ad-block for this page: https://www.logos.com/back-to-school#free-book ... before You click also make sure You are logged in on Facebook. Then click to post the mention of this freebie on Your Facebook timeline, and thereafter a button becomes clickable with which You can add this commentary for free to Your cart. Finish the purchase and You aren't charged anything for it. (Of course if You want to You can make purchases of other books at the same time by just adding to cart before progressing with the purchase, such as the commentary I mention in my previous post - although if You live somewhere where the bank requires You to input the CVV -code from the back of Your card You should first call +13606854437 and add some Store Credit to Your account before You do these steps, and also perhaps tick the box at https://www.logos.com/account/credits that says "Use available credit before credit-card on pre-pub orders" if You want pre-pub orders (which is a separate thing) to be processed seamlessly (they aren't charged before they ship).)
I used this commentary volume for years until I sold the set. I bought a few NT volumes on a sale, and a year ago I bought the OT set in Accordance. I'm going to start using this 1 Pt volume again now:
Here's some more good practical commentaries I recommend, printed or if You have the software anyway: as electronic, except that [...] thick but [...] on [a] very important book of the Bible (1 Pt):
[...]
Paul Achtemeier: 1 Peter (Hermeneia -series), Fortress Press, 1996 423 pages, verse-by-verse

If there's someone who is interested in last Weeks offer: Leviticus by Milgrom, one volume, if being able to and wanting to become my local friend, can have an account where there are some books - You may install. You may also peek at what I have, with a browser interface but not install my account. The other software that I have, Accordance, can't be installed on more than 5 devices, I have it currently installed on two and going to have it installed on three myself. You would need to live over here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Paideia New Testament Commentary series (14 vols.) is now available in Accordance! That's the much better option. If I wouldn't already have little over half of the volumes in the other software I would jump on this deal in Accordance. Sale price is $319 and valid until Aug. 24.: http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Paideia+NT-14
This is a fantastic deal both since it includes two volumes (Lk and Gal) that are not yet available in the other software (that other software doesn't even have an estimated shipping date for them yet), and since this series is so great. I'm going to now recommend my Mennonite house-Church pastor (we don't have bigger ones within that denomination over here) to buy these - a year ago I gave him the Accordance website link and he though the prices he saw back then on what was on a sale back then were cheap - he was thinking of duplicating a commentary set (which he has as printed matter (but which is dated)), I haven't talked to him since last Summer so I don't know what he will say but he will take advice from me (it depends more on whether he is willing to switch away from the print commentary set he has been using for ages):
The Eph Col volume I mentioned and recommended on Aug. 18. last year is now on a sale, the sale price is $1.99: https://verbum.com/products/22818/paideia-commentaries-on-the-new-testament-ephesians-and-colossians I'm glad I have been using it - it was well worth its price and still is (I paid $22.50 on March 26. 2014) so I wouldn't part with it.

Upvote 0