Practical Commentary on Scripture (moved from OBOB)

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
"Historical-criticism is dead": The Bible in Human Transformation: Toward a New Paradigm in Bible Study, it was $6.95 in pre-pub ... I have that book since May 8. 2013 and read it at once. It's really good!

The condensed The Navarre Bible: New Testament is on a sale, the sale price is $54.95, that's 27% off compared to the reg. Logos price.

Thanks, StThomasMore, I'll be looking for desirable books of the kind You search:
The Navarre bible is another wonderful series, but I find the commentary too centered on Escriva's writings

Many modern commentaries today are way too drenched in the historical-critical method like the Catholic Study Bible.
[...]
I'm not trying to bash today's more modern works in anyway. I think there are a ton of great books written in the 20th century. Are they informative and well written? Yes. Do they touch and move my faith the way St. Augustine's City of God or his Confessions did? No. You will find priests and theologians today that are too timid to say what an early church father would probably say in one quote, today's theology tends to get very watered down. I think this watered down style is in a lot of modern commentaries and because of that our learning of theology becomes stunted. Granted we live in a society in the west were many religious teachers are more afraid to offend than to teach correctly, which is why probably the style of the saints and the fathers are nearly non-existent in books today. It seems that type of writing ended with G.K. Chesterton and Lewis.

By all means though, if you can find me a modern Chesterton or Augustine I would be very thankful!!
[...]
But it seems more books are written on how to debate atheists and apologetics rather than Christianity and morality

Upvote 0

Unix

Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
A commentary on 1 Jn!! As an exception I ordered this which is not available in Logos or Accordance:
1, 2, and 3 John: New Testament Library (NTL) by Judith M. Lieu
. The set has been recommended on Logos User Forums and suggested to become available in Logos. This volume is on a sale for $9 right now! (Plus postage.) In addition to that I read in the Oxford Encyclopedia of the Books of the Bible about 1 Jn and it was referenced there. As You can see from reviews on Amazon, these have critical scholarship (only exception is the 2 Cor volume by Frank J. Matera, that commentary is not built around the idea that 2 Cor is a composite letter. I recommend another commentary by Matera in the Paideia -series on Ro, I have discussed it in this thread: 1 Clem, Ignatius, Papias, Ro, An example from 8:1-39. It's...:
See this post: Ephesians: An Exegetical Commentary (Hoehner) - Logos Bible Software Forums ... for practical commentaries on Malachi, 1 Thessalonians and Jude.
The largest part of the commentaries I have are in Logos.

Some other volumes in the New Testament Library -series are on a sale for $8-$10 right now, but didn't want them. The cheapest one is: Colossians: A Commentary - Slightly Imperfect, $7.19. But I don't read Colossians as it wasn't authored by Paul. The author is Jerry L. Sumney. According to Richard I. Pervo, Colossians is apparently the earliest surviving product of a "Pauline School", authored around 61 C.E, and is oriented in the "center" in early understanding of Paul, together with Ro, Philemon, 1-2 Cor, Phi, 1 Thess, Hebrews, parts of Eph, Ignatius of Antioch, Dionysius of Corinth, Acts of Peter and Irenaeus.
The Making of Paul (2010). Richard I. Pervo. Fortress Press. (p. 242).

Upvote 0

Unix

Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Regarding UBS Handbook New Testament set:
The UBS Handbook is a resource that doesn't specifically require Greek knowledge, but general grammar knowledge will be of use, to get it now see: Call Today for Phone-Only Deals! | Logos Talk
... You need to be able to call to the U.S. to take part of the deal. If You call from outside the U.S. and Canada, see: Contacting logos:
(I first bid low, then) I bid and got it for $90 plus license transfer fee $25. Logos is releasing Sirach, it's on pre-pub (that means it's a sale-price) together with some other new volumes from UBS Translator's Handbook for $119.95: UBS Handbook Series Upgrade (6 vols.):
Someone has offered me a "used" copy of UBS Translators Handbook New Testament in Accordance, I'm thinking of bidding $85. And I want to have Sirach in Logos or Accordance - whichever releases it.

EDIT: UBS Translator's Handbook Old Testament set, including the English Bible versions RSV and GNT is on the March 2014 sale, 45% off. See: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/82051/573962.aspx#573962.

New posts in this thread by others, are welcome, I will give You blessings for posting, 10-20 million blessings depending on how much You write! /My offer still valid March 7. 2014!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Has anyone read this book by TAN? Apparently it was recommended by 14 bishops and I think even a Pope. It was made in 1920, but it is such a good book apparently a lot of people use it today and had 16 editions. And it probably isn't littered with too much historo-criticism like the New Jerome's commentary is. I found one on amazon for 2 bux! You gotta love the older catholic books. They have this kick that the newer ones just don't have. They don't have problems using words like "Sodomites" and "reprobates", lol. Especially comments like this:

"Detest and fear sin, especially sins of impurity. Set hell before your eyes, think of the horrible torments, carefully avoid all temptations to such sins. Say thus" "What will the whole world profit me, if I follow my own inclinations, and suffer eternity in hell!"

You just don't get stuff like that anymore in sermons or books , lol.

I haven't read the book and as a non Catholic I am not familiar with the author.

The above quote would deter me from reading it. Not that I don't believe in a final judgement and its consequences, but that language suggests a framework that is being seriously challenged today, both by the renewed interest in Trinitarian theology, and fresh biblical exegesis arising from vastly expanded sources of background materials from the biblical period.

John
NZ

Reactions: Unix
Upvote 0

Unix

Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
How are we to understand old commentaries? Please read the OP of the thread: http://www.christianforums.com/t7800699-post64907341/#post64907341 ... that I've just started, and follow the links starting from there for a great tool!

EDIT DEC. 17. 2014: Have a look at my most recent post in another thread in a completely different subforum about my general approach: http://www.christianforums.com/t7847371-post66786814/#post66786814 By the time I start to research more there will be better and more current commentaries out on some parts.

EDIT DEC. 14. 2014: Yesterday we've been discussing commentaries on the book of Job, see: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/97812/674438.aspx#674438 ... the Anchor Yale volume I have in print, not in Logos/Verbum, but should perhaps at some point get it there too for convenience. The ICC volume came in a big bundle greatly discounted, the bundle was for sale for only one day (Dec. 1.) I created a new Wish List (I haven't linked to any of my wishlists from anywhere nor told any private person about them) and put the "Word Biblical" volumes in it, although I'll wait until they are discounted - the system will probably email me when they are on a monthly sale. They should be current but I admit they are a bit expensive. If there wouldn't have been a lot of links to the ICC volume by Driver and Gray I would have wanted the "Word Biblical" volumes in Accordance instead - and that's what I recommend to others - because I prefer Accordance and then I wouldn't have needed to bother about getting the Anchor volume electronically.
EDIT UPDATE DEC. 20. 2014: I will never get the last Job volume in, the one mentioned below covering chapters 38-42. And I think I'm going to get the volume covering chapters 1-20 in Accordance instead of Logos/Verbum:
8103.jobaccordance.png

I can get a 15% off discount in Accordance, not immediately but there is a way. The Accordance link: WBC-Job: regular price $54.90 if without discounts.

I might at some point get the second volume, covering chapters 21-37 in Logos/Verbum but it's low (=medium) priority:
1258.joblogos.png

ANOTHER UPDATE DEC. 20. late evening 2014: I read the recommendations of Princeton Theological Seminary (which is a more liberal one). The 1996 New Interpreter's Bible by Paul Newsome is good. They also recommended this one, the 2006 Amazon.co.uk
Job [With CDROM] by Balentine. Publisher: Smyth & Helwys
(replace .co.uk with .com in the URL if You shop from the U.S. For a review, go to: http://www.bookreviews.org/bookdetail.asp?TitleId=5840&CodePage=5840
... I placed the Balentine volume in my wish list now the same day I found it, Dec 20. 2014, am going to buy it in print. It costs about $60 in print + postage, not (yet?) available in any Bible Study software:
4657.jobbalentine.png

EDIT UPDATE DEC. 17. 2014: There's a new volume in the "Word Biblical Job" -series: https://www.logos.com/product/16809/word-biblical-commentary-volume-18b-job-38-42 which completes the three volume set on Job. Pre-pub sale price is currently $31.95. (It used to be cheaper, see: https://web.archive.org/web/2013080...word-biblical-commentary-volume-18b-job-38-42 ):
Older books are good because they're the ones that were good enough to stick around. Stick around for another 200 years to find out what the good ones from this century were.

Don't forget Johnnz's insights at: I haven't read the book and... ... in this thread on 11th January 2014 ... regarding the post I quote here at the bottom of this post!:
The older the books, the more the wisdom they have one way or the other.
Has anyone read this book by TAN? Apparently it was recommended by 14 bishops and I think even a Pope. It was made in 1920, but it is such a good book apparently a lot of people use it today and had 16 editions. And it probably isn't littered with too much historo-criticism like the New Jerome's commentary is. I found one on amazon for 2 bux! You gotta love the older catholic books. They have this kick that the newer ones just don't have. They don't have problems using words like "Sodomites" and "reprobates", lol. Especially comments like this:

"Detest and fear sin, especially sins of impurity. Set hell before your eyes, think of the horrible torments, carefully avoid all temptations to such sins. Say thus" "What will the whole world profit me, if I follow my own inclinations, and suffer eternity in hell!"

You just don't get stuff like that anymore in sermons or books , lol.
Previously edited by Unix; 14th December 2014 at 12:36 PM local time. Reason: Job
Previously edited by Unix; 17th December 2014 at 7:00 AM local time. Reason: general approach, + update about Job
Previously edited by Unix; 20th December 2014 at 5:31 PM local time. Reason: another update about Job

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Some other volumes in the New Testament Library -series are on a sale for $8-$10 right now, but didn't want them. The cheapest one is: Colossians: A Commentary - Slightly Imperfect, $7.19. But I don't read Colossians as it wasn't authored by Paul. The author is Jerry L. Sumney. According to Richard I. Pervo, Colossians is apparently the earliest surviving product of a "Pauline School", authored around 61 C.E, and is oriented in the "center" in early understanding of Paul, together with Ro, Philemon, 1-2 Cor, Phi, 1 Thess, Hebrews, parts of Eph, Ignatius of Antioch, Dionysius of Corinth, Acts of Peter and Irenaeus.
The Making of Paul (2010). Richard I. Pervo. Fortress Press. (p. 242).

This is a matter being debated at present. But that position is by no means established. Significant NT scholars, such as Gordon Fee support Pauline authorship as such, but also even if it was not Paul their doctrinal content is so similar that it does not male a lot of difference.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Johnnz said:
This is a matter being debated at present. But that position is by no means established. Significant NT scholars, such as Gordon Fee support Pauline authorship as such, but also even if it was not Paul their doctrinal content is so similar that it does not male a lot of difference. John NZ
In fact meta-studies have shown that the scholarly consensus was never as assured about Colossians and Ephesians being non-Pauline as was often stated. For Ephesians (which as the weaker claim to be Pauline of the two) the peak was around the early '80s when about 60% of scholars regarded it as non-Pauline. Since them the move has been towards accepting these books are actually Pauline, as the reasons for rejecting that have been more critically examined. It's fair to say that now the majority is slightly in favour of Pauline authorship rather than against.

It's interesting that one of the reasons scholars (especially Protestant ones) have had problems win Colossians and Ephesians is because they have built a Pauline theology on Romans and Galatians and then have trouble fitting Colossians and Ephesians into that. The implication being, then, that the latter are not Pauline. But if one starts with Colossians and Ephesians and builds a Pauline theology from there one finds Romans and Galatians fit in just fine.

Reactions: Unix
Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In fact meta-studies have shown that the scholarly consensus was never as assured about Colossians and Ephesians being non-Pauline as was often stated. For Ephesians (which as the weaker claim to be Pauline of the two) the peak was around the early '80s when about 60% of scholars regarded it as non-Pauline. Since them the move has been towards accepting these books are actually Pauline, as the reasons for rejecting that have been more critically examined. It's fair to say that now the majority is slightly in favour of Pauline authorship rather than against.

It's interesting that one of the reasons scholars (especially Protestant ones) have had problems win Colossians and Ephesians is because they have built a Pauline theology on Romans and Galatians and then have trouble fitting Colossians and Ephesians into that. The implication being, then, that the latter are not Pauline. But if one starts with Colossians and Ephesians and builds a Pauline theology from there one finds Romans and Galatians fit in just fine.

I agree with your comments. I think that the history of NT scholarship over the last couple of centuries will demonstrate prior agendas determining outcomes. The general 'objectivity' of modern biblical scholarship relies much more on historical/cultural/literary factors than preexisting theological/philosophical categories, leading to significantly different conclusions from previous understanding. N T Wright's analysis is a well worked example of this approach.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Unix

Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
This beats Study-Bibles and is better for the entire Old Testament including Sirach (Ecclesiasticus) and 1-2 Mc: Pre-ordering Introduction to the Hebrew Bible £38.41 by John J. Collins, June 2014:
This is the book i have for my classes:
Catholic Study Bible 2nd edition, Donald Senior (9780195282788) - Textbooks.com

Mine was $20 - found this for less.

The Old Testament is intriguing.It helped a lot. I keep it when needed.

For a handy Study Bible I'm today ordering the New Oxford Annotated Revised Standard Version 66-book Bible. The Old Testament translation is copyrighted 1959 and the New Testament 1971. It uses a revolutionary Qumran scroll find for Isaiah both in the translation and in the notes. I've browsed a lot of ads for it used (it was printed last time in 1998), if You want it as printed matter please contact me either with a visitor message (if my PM box is full) or sign in at: https://faithlife.com/creating-a-budget-and-canceling-orders/activity ... to view my contact details, registration is free. The phone-number is a desk phone. Sometimes I can call cheap abroad, I'm gonna take cheap abroad phone calls at least for February 2014. EDIT DEC. 14. 2014: I didn't order the Study Bible but one without the "Annotated" Study Bible notes. I still mention my contact details because I still have a grasp about where You can get print RSVs - as it's the version I recommend.
(Note that the New Testament of the Catholic Edition is based on the 1946 Edition and is inferior!)

EDIT DEC. 14. 2014: For an electronic version of a Study Bible, I now recommend the newly released: Fortress Commentary on the Bible (2 vols.). The pre-pub sale price is $50.95. In the desktop version of the software You can prioritise which passages to look up from which English Bible version. I will guide You, here's my complete list of choices, read the quote as well which is about what I bring when attending Church: I basically don't use any of....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'm very pleased with my purchase of the Original Languages Library (JG) back in April 19. 2012, it cost me $332.76. It has been replaced by the "Biblical Languages" base-package, the latter is only sold to students.
I've been complementing with resources.
I first became a Logos customer 11½-12½ years ago but for a very long period (until 2011) I didn't really have a computer on which to install it, and I didn't install it on the laptop I had in early 2011 as I had misplaced the box with the CD:
I'm not THAT interested in the Hebrew, Aramaic, Latin and Greek, but I was glancing:
Original Languages Library (JG) - Logos Bible Software
... which would need to be supplemented with the Catechism $10, and 1992 Good News Translation $10,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unix

Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
In this new post You can see a quote from it: "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do" a textual corruption?:
The Caird volume on Lk in the quote [post] is really good:
Have a look at these:
[...]
SAINT LUKE: G. B. CAIRD: Amazon.com: Books
More copies of the Saint Luke -volume HARDcover
I placed an order for them now, both hardcover, from the UK.

The commentary by Bovon is 3 volumes. One of the volumes does qualify a "Practical Commentary" since it comes separately in Bible study software and the software is freeware: Hermeneia: Luke 2: A Commentary on the Gospel of Luke 9:51–19:27 $44.95 as a pre-pub order right now. It's an awesome commentary, the best, I'm reading all the volumes from cover to cover:
Sidenote: I have Hermeneia on Lk by Bovon, it's definitely the best in-depth technical commentary, but it doesn't fall into the "practical commentary" category.

Upvote 0

Unix

Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
EDIT Sept. 19. 2014: see also this new post: Markus Barth has authored a....

I'm thinking of buying Anchor Yale Bible Commentaries: New Testament (27 volumes), it's on sale right now for $449.99 until Feb. 24. 2014.
The interesting volumes are:
Mk, Jn, 1-2 Cor, Gal, Col, Philem, Jas, 1 Pt, 2 Pt-Jude
. Maybe also 1-2 Thess, see explanation below.
... that's 12 volumes (Jn (Roman-Catholics said on Christianforums in 2005 that Brown on Jn is a classic but just Catholic) and Mk are two volumes each, see also this post: good commentary on Mk which is in this thread). Or 13 volumes if counting 1-2 Thess. I've had the Mk 8-16 volumes once earlier on (in the Summer 2013) but returned it to Logos within 30 days for a refund, that volume did give Jewish insights and references.

Read this post: http://www.christianforums.com/t6807604/#post43234042 ... someone who has a lot of commentaries is saying that after 25 years New Testament commentaries start to get old.

An example: The Galatians volume would cost me $44.36 as printed matter from Italy (free shipping): Galatians by J.Louis Martyn: Yale University Press, New Haven 9780300139853 - Deastore.
Here are 8, all positive, reviews of the Galatians volume: Product Reviews: Galatians (Anchor Bible): Amazon.com.
I haven't looked through thoroughly, but I think that very few of the volumes cost little, and several cost more than $44 including shipping to over here. Whether to buy the set depends on if I really am interested in all these 12 volumes.
One more example of a review, The Epistles of John (The Anchor Yale Bible Commentaries).
EDIT Oct. 19. 2014: see this newly updated discussion - there's for example the Philippians volume - a bit of extra value for me as I'm thinking of choosing the Col/Philippians for class and Master's thesis: Any better NT commentary than AYB w/ "Gnosticism" ref.?. There's also a bit more discussion, such as about the NIB, see also the below quote from this thread from Sept. 2014:
Just like all major sets except New Interpreter's Bible (which came out during a short period of time), some of the AYBC series volumes are dated (don't look strictly at how old the volumes are, some volumes that You may think are new enough should be replaced with something else, and a couple of old volumes are still great!), but other than that it's great for introductions and historical-critical commentary. From the Old Testament and Apocrypha I've bought Proverbs 1-9 in Logos, and Isaiah 56-66, Job and 1-2 Esdras as printed matter - the latter two are old but good, especially Job. If I would be researching that book at this point, the two Exodus volumes would be a great addition!

A feature of Anchor Bible is that it has transliterated original languages, which means You don't need to be able to read the Greek alphabet (which I do read), but the original languages are still used - sometimes extensively and sometimes knowing a bit of Greek is a requisite.
The Anchor Bible is verse-by-verse commentary. I would not buy it as printed matter as You newer know which volume You might suddenly want to use and therefore it would be troublesome to carry around printed volumes, plus most of the print volumes are expensive.
The Anchor Bible volumes I'm interested in are highly rated on Amazon with no negative reviews, some four star and mostly five star reviews. EDIT: having browsed all reviews on amazon.co.uk, amazon.com, logos, accordance and goodreads I found ONE negative rating altogether (it's not a review), it's on the James -volume, the average rating is 4.13 - one rating (not a review) gave just two stars (out of five possible): The Letter of James (Anchor Bible) - goodreads. Anyway, I'm not going to be looking for even better commentaries on Colossians for many years so this Anchor volume would do in the meantime.
Malherbe on 1-2 Thess in Anchor Bible seems to be recommended by everyone. It's just that it would be a bit superfluous for me since I have the Believer's Church Bible Commentary -volume by Jacob W. Elias, 1995 and I've pre-ordered the Aug. 2015 ICC -volume by Karl P. Donfried.
However, if I would calculate the 1-2 Thess Anchor Bible volume to be worth $20 for me, dividing the remaining $429.99 by 12 the average price would be $35.80 a volume. Dividing $449.99 by 13 the average price would be $34.60 a volume. For cost a page, see: Is ¢5.1-¢11½ a page too much for partially old sets? Commentaries+Greek syntax&semant ... I excluded 1-2 Thess from that calculation.

Accordance Bible Study software forum:
Here's a discussion of the Anchor Bible: The Anchor Bible Is on Sale: Value for a Biblicist?.
Here's a discussion on the Accordance forum about the sale and comparison to other commentary sets: http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12127#entry56089.
Here's a little bit about one of the authors in the Anchor Bible New Testament series, Luke Timothy Johnson: http://www.christianforums.com/t7527468-post56544840/#post56544840.
Here's a little more: Luke Timothy Johnson
Here's a new blog post about the features in Anchor Bible in Accordance: Anchor Yale Bible Commentary in Accordance.

Here's a thread about using commentaries in general: What do you thump, bible or commentary? ... I'm not sure I agree with that though:
I'm not THAT interested in the Hebrew, Aramaic, Latin and Greek, but I was glancing:
Original Languages Library (JG) - Logos Bible Software
[...]
Here's some more good practical commentaries I recommend, printed or if You have the software anyway: as electronic, except that some of them are thick but those are by very good/renowned authors (Bauckham) or on very important books of the Bible (1 Pt):
Craig Morrison: 2 Samuel (Berit Olam -series), Liturgical Press, ~June 30. 2012
Phillip McFadyen: Open Door on Mark, Triangle, 1997 142 pages
Paul Achtemeier: 1 Peter (Hermeneia -series), Fortress Press, 1996 423 pages, verse-by-verse
EDIT Feb. 22.: I just noticed: there's a sale on A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Second Epistle to the Corinthians, Vol. 1 by Thrall, it covers 2 Cor 1-7, and it's the very best commentary on that part of the Bible. See my review on the product page. Sale price $44.95.

Previously edited by Unix; 20th February 2014 at 10:49 PM local time. Reason: links: to discussion and to Cambridge Gk Testament Mk
Previously edited by Unix; 21st February 2014 at 12:38 AM local time. Reason: add about Luke Timothy Johnson
Previously edited by Unix; 21st February 2014 at 1:11 AM local time. Reason: yet another link about Luke Timothy Johnson
Previously edited by Unix; 21st February 2014 at 1:29 AM local time. Reason: link to blog post about features
Previously edited by Unix; 21st February 2014 at 1:37 AM local time. Reason: adjustment to volumes
Previously edited by Unix; 21st February 2014 at 4:23 PM local time. Reason: example volume (Gal) on amazon & abebooks
Previously edited by Unix; 21st February 2014 at 5:37 PM local time. Reason: about the Col -volume, Malherbe on 1-2 Thess
Previously edited by Unix; 21st February 2014 at 7:31 PM local time. Reason: add the What do you thump, bible or commentary? -part
Previously edited by Unix; 22nd February 2014 at 2:50 AM local time. Reason: add one opinion about 25 year old commentaries starting to get old, and that Brown on Jn is classic
Previously edited by Unix; 22nd February 2014 at 3:15 AM local time. Reason: Feb. 2014 sale on the best technical commentary 2 Cor chapters 1-7 &add link to discussion about the sale on Accordance forum
Previously edited by Unix; 22nd February 2014 at 2:37 PM local time. Reason: Epistles of John review, Only negative rating (James), Link to cost a page
Previously edited by Unix; 19th September 2014 at 4:40 PM local time. Reason: new post SEPT. 2014 about new Accordance sale and the Eph -volumes, removed a couple of lines

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Social-science commentary, $77.95 as a pre-pub order electronically in freeware Bible Study software, no shipping date yet but it's under production so it won't take forever. These are from 1998-Nov. 2013. Reviews of the Synoptic Gospels volume: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Social-Scie...r=8-3&keywords=Social-Science+malina+fortress.
These are multiple author books, but one of the authors, Malina - a Catholic btw, seems to have been one of the authors of all the volumes. EDIT: One of the authors in a couple of volumes is Rohrbaugh, and as You can see from this page: http://btb.sagepub.com/reports/most-cited two of his articles are on the most cited list Feb. 1. 2014 (btw Malina made it to the same list 6 times). I'll order a few volumes in Logos, they will complement what I have, see: What do You think of NT commentary compromises such as Anchor? - Logos Bible Software Forums ... about complementing technical commentaries with other kinds of commentaries.
I will also ordering another (audio) book by Rohrbaugh as printed matter, from http://store.bib-arch.org/products.asp?dept=23, if supplies for another item: Bible Review for Libronix/Logos last until Monday March 3. 2014 (Bible Review, which was published 1985-2005, is on a clearance sale).

But because of the comment by ebia in: In fact meta-studies have... in this thread I'm currently very restrictive about ordering Ro and Gal commentaries (but pleased with the major/recent ones I have: Paideia on Ro by Matera and Anchor on Gal by Martyn, although the latter is a technical one) - I want to wait and see - probably enter the one-year seminar first (which will be after a bit of Gk studies) before purchasing any individual Ro or Gal commentary volumes:
~350 pages a volume, compared to ~250 pages in the Jn commentary I suggested. And it's annoying that they include the full NAB text. Yeah the volume on Mt 8-20 that I suggested is at least twice the size, but I think that when it comes to Mt it's necessary with thicker volumes:
I'm reading Mary Healy's Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture - Mark.
EDIT March 1. 2014: Here is my most recent list of my best commentaries, they may not all be practical: Would this be the order?.

Previously edited by Unix; 27th February 2014 at 9:25 PM local time. Reason: add most cited list (and buying another book by Rohrbaugh)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Eph by Pheme Perkins presents faith of the early Church. It's now on a sale for Logos: Abingdon New Testament Commentary - Ephesians $12.64. Read about the author: Pheme Perkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
I'm going to buy this commentary volume today. (When bought from Vyrso it downloads into Your Logos/Verbum installation. Later on, if Logos decides to make a Logos Edition of it they are going to do more tagging and ship the Logos Edition for free to everyone who previously has the Vyrso Edition.) It's extremely scholarly for the price. This commentary has been re-published in the New Interpreter's Bible (12 vols.) vol. 11 with a bit of added pastoral reflections, source: Amazon.com: William B. Jones' review of The New Interpreter's Bible : Second Corin...:
Personally I think the best commentaries include a mixture of many of the facets of the faith instead of just one authors opinion.

The other Eph commentary I have, is: New Covenant Commentary: Ephesians, I bought it for the reg. price $18.95 on Jan. 3. 2014. It's really good as it has a special angle.

A good Gal commentary is: Galatians Re-Imagined by Brigitte Kahl. This one I also bought at the reg. price $21.95 also on Jan. 3. 2014. See endorsment by Adam Rao on March 4. 2014: Logos March Madness: No Women?.

Reminder: also see the post: http://www.christianforums.com/t7702363-post65108168/#post65108168 ... there's a sale on a very practical Old Testament set!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The Eph volume is still on a sale for $12.64. You don't need any coupon-code. I found a review, it's a PDF-file: http://www.bookreviews.org/pdf/2147_1172.pdf
I think I'm gonna have two copies of it, besides the Vyrso/Logos copy I bought yesterday to myself, a Vyrso/Logos copy for my friends with the extra account I created last Summer.
As You can see from the review, if You read this commentary You get rid of some misconceptions and can see the connections with other literature - so there You have what other ancient authors say, StThomasMore! Isn't that better than medieval authors?:
Eph by Pheme Perkins presents faith of the early Church. It's now on a sale for Logos: Abingdon New Testament Commentary - Ephesians $12.64. Read about the author: Pheme Perkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
I'm going to buy this commentary volume today.
Personally I think the best commentaries include a mixture of many of the facets of the faith instead of just one authors opinion.

EDIT: from the same series, the volume on Deuteronomy by Brueggemann is also on a sale: Brueggemann on Dt in Abingdon Commentary is on a sale, sale price $21.44! Recommended. Source: Adam Rao's post today: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/82158/575042.aspx#575042 EDIT Oct. 1. 2014: I've already had great use of this Dt volume in uni seminary, the first class on the Old Testament, as well as Goldingay on Dt in the For Everyone -series which has been of even greater use. I know I will have continued use for the Brueggemann volume later on in seminary - I judge that by that it references some of the other needed books.

Previously edited by Unix; 12th March 2014 at 4:50 AM local time. Reason: Dt

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unix

Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
One more volume to the series: Social-Science Commentary on the Letters of Paul 10% off during March 2014:
Social-science commentary, $77.95 as a pre-pub order electronically in freeware Bible Study software, no shipping date yet

A similar OT counterpart: Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: Old Testament - Accordance, see also: Celebrating 20 Years ... for instructions before You place Your order at latest on April 9 2014!
Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: Old Testament - Logos.

Upvote 0

Unix

Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
EDIT May 8. 2015: Anchor Yale Bible Commentary Habakkuk is on a sale 50% off (see twitter). Product page: https://verbum.com/products/41449/the-anchor-yale-bible-habakkuk ... what's special about this volume is that it's recent, from 2008 making it one of the most recent volumes in the entire set and the most recent on this Biblical book. And it's a neglected book of the Bible but was important in Qumran. This offer won't last long as it started the other day. "One-day" sales with a coupon code usually last a few days.
Look for daily twitter deals at https://twitter.com/search?q=@Logos #DailyDeal&f=realtime
The volume on sale right now May 31. 2014 is 1-3 Jn by Raymond E. Brown. I have the complete NT-set in Accordance. The Logos price for individual volumes with 50% off is a good price.
The Logos daily twitter deals only last for one day, Pacific Standard Time:
A commentary on 1 Jn!! As an exception I ordered this which is not available in Logos or Accordance:
1, 2, and 3 John: New Testament Library (NTL) by Judith M. Lieu
. The set has been recommended on Logos User Forums and suggested to become available in Logos. This volume is on a sale for $9 right now! (Plus postage.) In addition to that I read in the Oxford Encyclopedia of the Books of the Bible about 1 Jn and it was referenced there. As You can see from reviews on Amazon, these have critical scholarship

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Just found another Mt commentary and ordered it the other day: https://www.logos.com/product/30833/brazos-theological-commentary-on-the-bible-matthew It's on the July 2014 Logos sale 33% off. The sale price is $19.95. The software is freeware. Check it out! There are some more reviews at: Matthew (SCM Theological Commentary on the Bible): Amazon.co.uk: Stanley Hauerwas, R.R. Reno, Robert W. Jensen, Robert L. Wilken: Books It's not that old, it's from 2006, so considering the reviews I definitely recommend it - and this is regardless of the low price, I didn't even call to get a further discount but placed the order online. In some countries, with some banks, If You don't have Store Credit You will have to call Logos Sales have them place the order and divert You to Accounting so You can give the CVV2 -code from the back of Your card. It complements Hermeneia:
Mt 8-20: Matthew 8 20 Hermeneia Series (Hermeneia: A Critical & Historical Commentary on the Bible) (Hermeneia: a Critical and Historical Commentary on the Bible): Ulrich Luz: 9780800660345: Amazon.com: Books
... goes through every verse a few verses at a time, explaining among other things the development of interpretation and doctrine. Here's an excerpt from it: Questions about Matthew 10.37 - page 2:
I added 3 more Hermeneia-volumes, look in:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7644634-post60159103/#poststop
... and click the link Hermeneia Upgrade (3 vols.)Thanks cybrwurm for the opinion!

Upvote 0

Unix

Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
For the first time, the Hermeneia New Testament set (which also includes the Continental volumes on Galatians and Revelation), now has dynamic pricing. It's really good if You need to cover the New Testament, Apostolic Fathers and 4 Ezra. (But the Upgrade -collections are now gone, all there is left is the complete Hermeneia/Continental set which sometimes has dynamic pricing, the Old Testament set with Continental (which didn't have dynamic pricing last time I checked), and this):
I added 3 more Hermeneia-volumes, look in:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7644634-post60159103/#poststop
... and click the link Hermeneia Upgrade (3 vols.)

My previous post in this thread Practical Commentary is about a Mt -commentary: Just found another Mt..., $19.95 during July 2014.

Upvote 0

Unix

Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
This really great Gal commentary is now on a sale: Continental Commentary Series: Galatians by Dieter Lührmann. This volume has never previously been on a sale if You don't want the entire set. It's the one commentary from that series that I could not live without. I've had it for 2 years. The sale price is $16.75 and it's a "three day" sales - it ends 5 PM July 24. PDT time-zone. This particular volume is from 1992 so it's old but not dated:
The older the books, the more the wisdom they have one way or the other.

See also this earlier, current, post in this thread: Just found another Mt... I recommend that Mt -volume. It's still on a sale for another 7 days.

EDIT: Now I started a new thread about the middle-part of Lk: Commentaries approximately on Lk 9:51-19:27 within $21-$38?. I will make my decision what to buy very soon and edit this post.

EDIT2: If You have a budget or wish You were more restrictive about purchase and are tempted about commentaries, PLEASE PM me and I'll give the best advise I since just an hour ago know of - I don't want to post the advise since much of it comes from others and I don't want to make it look like I came up with all of that. The advise will help You to be able to limit Your expenses, it's mostly principles that You can learn.

Previously edited by Unix; 23rd July 2014 at 1:13 AM local time. Reason: exact time of when the 3-day sale ends
Previously edited by Unix; 23rd July 2014 at 1:13 AM local time. Reason: exact time of when the 3-day sale ends

Last edited:
Upvote 0