Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
not all abuse is physical abuse

there is emotional/psychological abuse, there is even economic abuse (people with spending addictions or drug addictions who use up the family income)

NO ONE should be forced to stay in an abusive environment

we have an obligation to protect ourselves and any children from abuse

as stated before, even if a civil divorce is needed to protect a person from abuse, that does not necessarily mean that the marriage is annulled
if there is no annulment then you are not free to remarry

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

St_Barnabus

Secular Carmelite OCDS
Jun 6, 2008
Midwest USA
✟54,616.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
How it should've been formulated by the Holy Father is that sometimes married couples for the sake of their children has to live separately.

This is a false connotation, for every Tribunal in the Church does permit divorce for extenuating circumstance such as abuse. In fact, before an annulment can be filed, they require evidence that the petitioner has obtained a civil divorce. To label the pope's wording as heresy, is in itself a heresy.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It is “morally necessary” to break up bad marriages when the safety of women and children is at stake, Pope Francis said Wednesday, marking a massive shift in tone in the Catholic view about matrimony.

“There are cases in which separation is inevitable,” he told his weekly audience.

“Sometimes, it can even be morally necessary, when it’s about shielding the weaker spouse or young children from the more serious wounds caused by intimidation and violence, humiliation and exploitation.”....
http://nypost.com/2015/06/25/pope-francis-divorce-can-be-morally-necessary/
And also when the safety of men is at stake, right? Because men can be abused too.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
hmmm, the pope said it is ok to divorce for the protection of women and children.... why did he choose to leave out men?

many men are stuck in abusive marriages and can not get help because society does not take it seriously when the man is the victim

we talk a lot about equality, but we keep falling back into these Victorian mindsets
I agree with you Rhamiel, but more men should be saying this. Too many men mock those who "can't control their wives" and call them wimps for not standing up to an abusive woman. We all have to stand up for the abused, whether it is a child or an adult, whether they are male or female. All abuse is evil.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The terminology divorce doesn't exist in the church and to change that would be to invent doctrine which should be considered heresy.
I don't know whether divorce is in "the church" or not, but it's definitely in the Bible.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
not all abuse is physical abuse

there is emotional/psychological abuse, there is even economic abuse (people with spending addictions or drug addictions who use up the family income)

NO ONE should be forced to stay in an abusive environment

we have an obligation to protect ourselves and any children from abuse

as stated before, even if a civil divorce is needed to protect a person from abuse, that does not necessarily mean that the marriage is annulled
if there is no annulment then you are not free to remarry
I had it all.
I even asked him to seek counseling with me - but he said not for me.

However; we had an oral pre-nup.
I was pregnant...and felt i had to marry him.
I told my dad before i did it that i didnt want to - but he grabbed my arm and kind of pulled me down the aisle.
I had a bad feeling... even tho - even tho - he acted all nice until after the wedding.
Plus i still loved someone else...
I had escaped a physically abusive stalker/ex bf and thats why i ended up with him.

Basically - he was a rebound and a form of escape.
I cared but was not in love with him.
etc etc etc

The emotional abuse is just as bad as the physical and the financial abuse can ruin you for getting out.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
WA I was not talking about you specifically
God bless you, and I am so sorry for what you had to go through

a lot of people are not getting proper formation, a lot of people feel forced into marriage, these things are grounds for an annulment

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
WA I was not talking about you specifically
God bless you, and I am so sorry for what you had to go through

a lot of people are not getting proper formation, a lot of people feel forced into marriage, these things are grounds for an annulment

I used to hide this - but now i think - what benefit does that do?

Truth be told - i had just begun my reversion to the Church and i told him i had no interest in fornication - well we went out to a Christmas party - i had a few - came home - didnt want to - but he did anyway.
Was told recently - it was rape and thats why i was pregnant.

I didnt 'think' it was because he let me live there..and i guess i was too tipsy to stop it. But i said i didnt want to.

NOW i speak because women [or men] need to know the signs.

Upvote 0

EddieRu

Nov 5, 2012
✟7,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I am Catholic and divorced. There are many like me in Europe. The church here is losing laity at a rapid rate not because of the validity of the Christian message it preaches but because of scandal and dogmatics. I am close to becoming an Anglo-Catholic.
Only Pope Francis keeps me still faithful to Peter's Church

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
WarriorAngel,

Have you been considering applying for a Church annulment to see if the Church views the marriage as valid or not?
It's in the process now.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
How did the Jews and Christian in the first Century handle marriage and divorce?

Anything after that is a man made rule.
I'm sure filled with fear of the Lord's return [they felt was in their time] - no one Christian had the desire for divorce.
They were all pretty much awe filled and waiting.
They were a community and helped one another - and hid from persecution.
Divorce, arguing [etc] was likely last thing on the list.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How did the Jews and Christian in the first Century handle marriage and divorce?

Anything after that is a man made rule.
The Christians of the first century took seriously what Jesus said about marriage and divorce, and they followed the guidance of their local bishop.

Upvote 0