Pope Sends Blessing to Author of Gay Childrens Book

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Lets not attack the messenger here guys. I do find this Pope very cryptic in where he actually stands. I did cross reference this story and it has shown on multiple news sources.

Pope Francis sent a blessing to the author of a children's book that has been censored in Italy due to its same-sex themes.

Francesca Pardi, author of Piccolo Uovo or Little Egg, received a letter dated July 9 from the Vatican's secretariat of state. A blessing from Pope Francis was enclosed in the letter, according to Father Manuel Dorantes, assistant to the director of the Press Office of the Holy See.

Piccolo Uovo traces the journey of an unhatched egg in search of a family. Along the way, it encounters different family structures, including two lesbian rabbits raising a family, a pair of gay penguins, a hippo who is a single parent and two kangaroos who have adopted polar bear cubs.

55e08a2b1d00002f001462e4.png

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...f-gay-childrens-book_55e06540e4b0b7a9633895c5

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/28/pope-francis-sends-letter-praising-gay-childrens-book

Also Gay websites are reporting it, but I didn't want to link to the Advocate due to other photos or such that will violate rules.

Reactions: Michie

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow! Do you think the Pope might be wanting to let children with SSA know they are not alone as far as the Church goes? I have not read the links yet because hubby just walked in but I will be sure to check
out the links asap.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I absolutely think that could be true. As soon as my husband goes to bed I will check out the links and give a more informed opinion.

That does make sense , but many will look at the Popes praise of the book as tacit approval. Do you think?

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems in the first article the author of the books was clear that the Pope was not blessing the book but her, the author, since she wrote the Pope in June with some books she sent along with a letter explaining that individual rights could not be ignored. It would be nice however if the Pope would be more willing to clarify his intentions for the public that likes to take his words and actions and use them to further whatever agenda they have. I have never understood why he has never been very clear for the sake of clarity to those that do not know anything of Church teaching and have no intention of doing so except through secular media. I mean, the report was pretty clear about Church teaching which I was surprised by. But I think even with Papal clarification the media and the readers will take it anyway they want to. We have an epidemic of people sticking fingers in their ears while repeating: ' la la la la' over and over again. Getting ready to check out the second link...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok, I see pretty much the same in the second article. He was not blessing the books but the author of the books due to what she wrote in her letter along with the sampling of the books she has written. He blessed her as an individual soul. Not her books.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,460.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The book is written for children who may not live in traditional families and who may sometimes be ostracized and made fun of, and who may suffer because of their parents' decisions.

It's also written, obviously, for children in traditional families, to make them more sensitive to the feelings of other children.

Pope Francis is a compassionate guy with a heart for children--children who had no choice in their parents' relationship decisions. This book may never have widespread acceptance, but as a therapeutic tool for hurting children it can be a good thing.

Has anyone heard about the book that is scientifically designed to put children to sleep at night? Would have loved to have it when my kids were young!

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well I just know what I read about the books. But from everything I read the Pope sent her a blessing for her personally as an individual soul. Really had nothing to do with the books. He blessed a lesbian author of children's books for kids that may have gay parents as well as kids who don't. There is not much more to the story than that. I thought it was the norm for the Pope to bless those that write him. So far from what I have read on the internet there has not been much exaggeration of the facts so far.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Did The Advocate basically report the same thing?

The Advocate is saying the Pope praised the author.

RELIGION

Pope Francis Praises Author of LGBT-Inclusive Kids' Book
Through an aide, the pope offers support to a writer whose work was banned by the mayor of Venice, but warns against reading too much into it.
BY TRUDY RING
AUGUST 28 2015 5:50 PM ET

POPE_FRANCISX400%20copy.jpg

The Italian author of an LGBT-inclusive children’s book, criticized recently by the mayor of Venice, has now received praise from an unexpected source — Pope Francis.

Francesca Pardi’s book Piccolo Uovo (Little Egg) portrays an egg that encounters a variety of families in the animal kingdom, including “a pair of gay penguins, lesbian rabbits successfully bringing up a family, as well as other family models, including a single parent hippo, a mixed race dog couple, and kangaroos that have adopted polar bear cubs,” reports U.K. newspaper The Guardian.

Luigi Brugnaro, who was elected mayor of Venice in June, quickly ordered that Little Egg and several other LGBT-inclusive children’s books be removed from the city’s schools. “We do not want to discriminate against children,” he said. “At home parents can be called Dad One and Dad Two, but I have to think about the majority of families where there is a mother and a father.”

Pardi then sent the pope a letter about the attacks on her work, along with a package of children’s books from her Milan-based publishing company, Lo Stampatello, some of which deal with LGBT issues. “Many parishes across the country are in this period sullying our name and telling falsehoods about our work which deeply offends us,” she wrote, according to The Guardian. “We have respect for Catholics. ... A lot of Catholics give back the same respect, why can’t we have the whole hierarchy of the church behind us?”

A Vatican official responded on Pope Francis’s behalf in a letter dated July 9 and viewed by The Guardian. “His holiness is grateful for the thoughtful gesture and for the feelings which it evoked, hoping for an always more fruitful activity in the service of young generations and the spread of genuine human and Christian values,” wrote Peter B. Wells, a senior official at the Vatican secretariat of state. The letter emphasized, however, that it was meant as personal praise for Pardi and should not be construed as supporting ideas about gender and sexuality that go against church teachings. While the pope has displayed a more conciliatory attitude toward LGBT people than his predecessors did, he has held fast to those teachings, including a belief that children do best when raised by a married mother and father.

Pardi was surprised and gratified to receive the letter, she told The Guardian. “It’s not that I think that he’s for gay families,” she said of the pope, “because there’s the Catholic doctrine, but we mustn’t think that we don’t have rights.”

TAGS: RELIGION, ITALY, ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, VATICAN, BOOKS, YOUTH

by Taboola

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
What exactly is the controversy here?

Not sure. But on the Interwebz there seems to be the usual ambiguity as to what he actually means. Some see it as a tacit approval or acceptance. The Pope does have a history of not being clear as to what he actially means.

I read a recent piece discussing whether the Pope is a loose cannon or is he carefully being ambiguous to disguise his intent.

Im am not sure.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like this Pope but he really confuses me at the same time as well.

Not sure. But on the Interwebz there seems to be the usual ambiguity as to what he actually means. Some see it as a tacit approval or acceptance. The Pope does have a history of not being clear as to what he actially means.

I read a recent piece discussing whether the Pope is a loose cannon or is he carefully being ambiguous to disguise his intent.

Im am not sure.

Upvote 0

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I can see how the activists will twist this. But I think he is acting out of love just like Jesus does.

LUKE 5: 30 The Pharisees and their scribes complained to his disciples, saying, "Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?" 31 Jesus said to them in reply, "Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but the sick do. 32 I have not come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners."

Upvote 0