Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Interesting statement by Benedict XVI.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050728/ap_on_re_eu/vatican_pope_s_lament

However, I would contradict the following assessment, namely that the West is "a world that has arrived at a time in which there's no more evidence of the need for God, much less Christ, and in which it seems that man alone can make himself."

If ones looks to the USA, religion is very well alife there today (I specifically don't say "God is alife there" for I do not feel that to be true).

BeamMeUpScotty

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Kanagawa, Japan
✟18,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Rochir said:
Interesting statement by Benedict XVI.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050728/ap_on_re_eu/vatican_pope_s_lament

However, I would contradict the following assessment, namely that the West is "a world that has arrived at a time in which there's no more evidence of the need for God, much less Christ, and in which it seems that man alone can make himself."

If ones looks to the USA, religion is very well alife there today (I specifically don't say "God is alife there" for I do not feel that to be true).

Everybody's infallible in some situations. For example I didn't fail to sleep through the night last night. Pretty good, if you ask me.

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
More from Papa Ratzi on this topic...

The Western world is in the process of self-destruction, “tired of its own culture,” and overcome by a stale rationalism that makes it difficult to appreciate the evidence of God's existence and love for mankind, said the Pope. The Christian faith is largely misunderstood as “a subjective, arbitrary choice” and as an “antique” with no practical value to modern man.

In this moment in history, particularly in Europe and Australia, “the great churches seem to be dying" and new religious sects are growing, putting traditional religions, particularly mainstream Protestant denominations, “in a very deep crisis,” the Pope said.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=4505

Upvote 0

sidiousmax225

Jul 14, 2005
✟1,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Dominus Fidelis said:
More from Papa Ratzi on this topic...

The Western world is in the process of self-destruction, “tired of its own culture,” and overcome by a stale rationalism that makes it difficult to appreciate the evidence of God's existence and love for mankind, said the Pope. The Christian faith is largely misunderstood as “a subjective, arbitrary choice” and as an “antique” with no practical value to modern man.

In this moment in history, particularly in Europe and Australia, “the great churches seem to be dying" and new religious sects are growing, putting traditional religions, particularly mainstream Protestant denominations, “in a very deep crisis,” the Pope said.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=4505

Bah, cursed rational thinking and intelligent skepticism!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Dominus Fidelis said:
Yep, the world is full of Einsteins.

One doesn't need to be an Einstein to see the shortcomings of any religion. War, for example!

And in my mind, tolerance towards each person's choice of believe or non-believe is a far greater sign of civilization than numbers of baptized or religiously active people!

Upvote 0

murron

Matt 5:39, Matt 18:21-22, Gal 5:22-23
Sep 17, 2004
✟24,282.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
attachment.php

MOD HAT ON

Before this gets ugly ...let's all please remember CF Rule 2.3:
2.3 You will not post anything that puts down or belittles any Christian group or denomination.

We may not all agree on doctrinal issues between the various denominations, but we must all respect each other and the choice we each make to be a part of any specific denomination.

Please, everyone, remember to have respect for the faith of others.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
indeep said:
I thought it only counted if he was sitting on the Infallability chair, wearing the Hat of Incorruptability and Wielding the Mace of I'mneverwrongedness... :p

bleh.

When Jesus promised to guide His Church into all truth He didn't require magical items, just His Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

loribee59

Beautiful hearts and minds makes me swoon! :)
Mar 11, 2003
Keizer, OR
✟23,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do not consider the Pope "occasionally" infallible. For him to make that statement is arrogance in itself. ALL of us are fallible; including the Pope. And it's dangerous to put faith in a Pope who claimed to be infallible.

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

BeamMeUpScotty

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Kanagawa, Japan
✟18,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
indeep said:
I thought it only counted if he was sitting on the Infallability chair, wearing the Hat of Incorruptability and Wielding the Mace of I'mneverwrongedness... :p

bleh.

You forget... he was also wearing his +2 gloves of truthfulness.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.