Pope Francis: When we welcome a stranger, we welcome Christ.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In Oct. 26 audience on Matthew 25:35-36, the Holy Father noted the need for Christians to help migrants, the homeless, the unemployed, trafficking victims and anyone discriminated against because of race or faith.

Continued below.
http://m.ncregister.com/51366/d#.WBDLpEb3bCQ

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In Oct. 26 audience on Matthew 25:35-36, the Holy Father noted the need for Christians to help migrants, the homeless, the unemployed, trafficking victims and anyone discriminated against because of race or faith.

Continued below.

Indeed.

I appreciate the Pope's sentiment. Unfortunately, I don't appreciate it enough to take it to heart and neither do many who claim to love Christ. People want and need safety and roofs over their heads. We have homes with living rooms or basements or sometimes even unoccupied bedrooms (or wasted bedrooms with children who are not doubling or tripling up), yet we say to these poor souls, "Not here."

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

Continued below.
:doh:that may have been true a century ago, but not today.
and i highly doubt that the same idea would have gone over well during WW1 or 2
or during the Civil War for that matter.

heck, even in pre-revolutionary days in America there were objections to the forced quartering of King George's troups.
these days we need to know those we're taking in, and that they won't murder us in our sleep because of it.:oldthumbsup:

yes, there are always people who will take anyone in. but in the effort of saving a life they are putting their own life at a double risk.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
:doh:that may have been true a century ago, but not today.
and i highly doubt that the same idea would have gone over well during WW1 or 2
or during the Civil War for that matter.

heck, even in pre-revolutionary days in America there were objections to the forced quartering of King George's troups.
these days we need to know those we're taking in, and that they won't murder us in our sleep because of it.:oldthumbsup:

Selfless sacrifice was something meant for primitive Christians, not us modern folk. It's different now.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A Catholic philosopher once said that when we get to that place where the goats and sheep are separated, you may just have to answer one question: Who did you help?
Now, how we define "help" is another discussion.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,985.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jerome: It were indeed free to us to understand that it is Christ in every poor man whom we feed when he is hungry, or give drink to when he is thirsty, and so of other things; but when He says, "In that ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren," He seems to me not to speak of the poor generally, but of the poor in spirit, those to whom He pointed and said, "Whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother." [Matt 12:50]

As Jerome points out, it is not only physical hunger or nakedness that should be addressed but BOTH the physical and spiritual.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is true. We are supposed to address the whole person in their need.
Jerome: It were indeed free to us to understand that it is Christ in every poor man whom we feed when he is hungry, or give drink to when he is thirsty, and so of other things; but when He says, "In that ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren," He seems to me not to speak of the poor generally, but of the poor in spirit, those to whom He pointed and said, "Whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother." [Matt 12:50]

As Jerome points out, it is not only physical hunger or nakedness that should be addressed but BOTH the physical and spiritual.

• Agree
Reactions: s_gunter
Upvote 0

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find it disheartening to see the excuses used to weasel out of providing for the physical needs of those who need it today, at this moment. We should be admitting that we could all do better helping those who are more disadvantaged than we are. :(

Upvote 0