LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic Herald link for it now says, "Sorry, the page you requested could not be found." And, so far, I'm not seeing this being reported on any of the reputably orthodox Catholic news sites. So I think it is likely a hoax.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
The Catholic Herald link for it now says, "Sorry, the page you requested could not be found." And, so far, I'm not seeing this being reported on any of the reputably orthodox Catholic news sites. So I think it is likely a hoax.
I saw it on Fox earlier as well.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Apparently, this is outside of Vatican City walls and Francis and the Vatican have merely given their blessings and support.
Unless there's proof of that (the part I put in bold) I'm going to assume that it got misreported since the media regularly misreports things about the Vatican and since I don't see how it would make any sense for the Vatican to do that considering that Luther thought that the Pope was the Antichrist.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In the Catholic Culture news article it merely states, "The Vatican did not oppose the project." The Vatican doesn't have control over what the city of Rome does. So just because the Vatican didn't protest it doesn't mean it was given a blessing. I expect Jimmy Akin of Catholic Answers to publish another of his "things you should know about..." with this one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
The media reported his "achievements," which I know will get a lot of flack here.
Probably. Pope Benedict was charitable towards Luther as well, holding him in high esteem and saying that there was a lot of good in the Book of Concord. Kind of how JP2 kissed the Koran.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
it would be interesting to know what first prompted the idea of honoring Luther by naming a square in Rome after him.........
somehow i think there's more to the story than just coincidence and rumbles of anti-Christian sentiment.
that it was proposed by the Seventh Day Adventists is no surprise.
They are very much anti-Catholic.

Reactions: mea kulpa
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
That's... interesting.

I could understand honouring various character traits of someone whose theology is fundamentally different to your own, but it's a bit odd to be doing anything of the sort around the anniversary of the Reformation.

An example of this would be John MacArthur highlighting the charitable work that the RCC does, despite fundamentally disagreeing with the church's theology.

Just a little strange, the timing.

I'm guessing something has been taken out of context and stories run just because it'll sell.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0