LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Pope_Francis_in_St_Peters_Square_on_Pentecost_Sunday_May_19_2013_Credit_Stephen_Driscoll_CNA_13_CNA_5_23_13.jpg

"Christians are witnesses not to a theory, but to a Person: Christ risen and alive, the one Saviour of all."

- Pope Francis (May 28, 2015)

Reactions: pdudgeon

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I agree with the quote.
I don't think it's supposed to be a factual assertion, but a thought provoking point. What thoughts did it provoke? How does witnessing to a person differ to promoting a theory?

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it's supposed to be a factual assertion, but a thought provoking point. What thoughts did it provoke? How does witnessing to a person differ to promoting a theory?
He is saying that the Christian faith should be Christ-based and not treated as if it's just a theory.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
He is saying that the Christian faith should be Christ-based and not treated as if it's just a theory.
That's an accurate paraphrase.

How do the two differ to you?

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

all theories are subject to the truth, and they rise or fall because of it. Jesus IS the truth, and everyone and everything falls before Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Who created the world?
God created the world through His eternal Word Jesus. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God; all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made." - John 1:1-3

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
God created the world through His eternal Word Jesus.

So why do you feel that people who you feel gain their experience of God by studying and living in the world he created are not "genuine"? When we set the spiritual against the flesh in certain contexts, don't we create sort of a quasi-Gnostic dichotomy that is contrary to the nature of the incarnation where the Word was made flesh and the spiritual and the carnal were forever linked and to a degree inseparable? The spiritual word being considered all good and the physical world being considered all bad have, of course, been the basis for many Christian heresies over the years.

Granted, the bible and other sources do sometimes use phraseology that would seem on the surface of things to set the two apart, but maybe that isn't the best metaphor in modern times because of how easily it is misunderstood and because of the bad places it can lead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I like how Rhamiel responded to this thread by adding another "tweet" from Pope Francis. How about we do that instead of trying to psychoanalyze it and having an endless debate that leads nowhere?
My questions weren't intended to spark a debate but to draw out what impact on, or anyone else, the first tweet had.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
God is always waiting for us, he always understands us, he always forgives us.
may 19, 2015
I like how this Pope is able to comfort many going through the phenomenon of depression and anxieties.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0