LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For example, Pope Francis has not changed the doctrine on how marriage should be defined. And he's against abortion, as the Catholic Church has always been (CCC 2271). He's been the Pope for a while now, and according to the teaching of the Church:

"The pope's power of primacy over all, both pastors and faithful, remains whole and intact. In virtue of his office, that is as Vicar of Christ and pastor of the whole Church, the Roman Pontiff has full, supreme and universal power over the Church. And he is always free to exercise this power." - Lumen Gentium, Vatican II (added emphasis)

I don't believe that it's possible for the Catholic Church to change her doctrines. But if a liberal here believes that Pope Francis is going to change those doctrines of the Church mentioned, what do you believe has been keeping him from changing it?

Also, see this news article:
Pope Francis appears to defend Kim Davis, says government workers have ‘a human right’ to religious objections

Last edited:

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looks like everyone is eager to jump in here. The pope won't change any core doctrines, nor can he, nor would I expect him to do so. But he and the bishops, who he is very willing to involve in guiding the Church, can make "course corrections", similar to what was done at Vatican II and other times. The Pope can re-prioritize issues, as he has done in his Apostolic Exhortation, the recent Encyclical, and in other writings and addresses.

As one of those "liberal Catholics" you love to berate, I can't give you the satisfaction of arguing your point or even hoping the Pope will make dogmatic changes. But there are certainly changes occurring, which upset some people but are well within Catholic teachings and the Gospel. I was around for the changes after Vatican II. No dogmatic changes then either, but the effects of the council were still monumental. I see similar things happening with Pope Francis and the other bishops who are "leading the charge", and all I can say after 50 years is "Alleluia!"

P.S. Thanks for starting a thread here. We haven't had a good new thread in weeks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0