Pope Francis declares that all priests can grant absolution for abortion during Holy Year

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟144,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Also, I believe the Year of Jubilee starts in December on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and runs until Christ the King next year.
I was only repeating what I heard on the news. If I'm wrong about exact timelines I apologize.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I was only repeating what I heard on the news. If I'm wrong about exact timelines I apologize.
Is ok. The news get religious stuff wrong all the time. They don't understand the nuances of theology and only want soundbites that result in clicks.

Seriously, even formerly reputable news sources like NPR are little better than Buzzfeed clickbait now.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Could a priest not grant absolution for a woman who had an abortion if she were contrite prior to this? I thought a priest could absolve any sin?
I think it's because abortion carries an automatic excommunication. And normalky, only a bishop can lift the excommunication. My understanding is that most bishops in the USA already delegate this authority to priests, but that is not the case worldwide.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think it's because abortion carries an automatic excommunication. And normalky, only a bishop can lift the excommunication. My understanding is that most bishops in the USA already delegate this authority to priests, but that is not the case worldwide.

This is correct. Most Bishops that I know of want to make it as easy as possible for people to recieve Christ's forgiveness. It's not always all that easy to get on a Bishop's calendar, and I don't see any benefit of making people guilty of prticular sins approach the Bishop himself. The Pope is extending a beautiful mercy to these sinners, even if for a limited time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to see Pope Francis put general absolution at the beginning of every Mass after the Kyrie into effect.

The people repent to God and confess their sins privately to Him. Then, the priest gives absolution to the congregation.

This is the way it was done in the early Church for centuries. In fact at one point, the Pope prohibited private confession. It wasn't until the persecution of the Church in Ireland that priests had to set up small rooms on the outside walls of monasteries in order to give spiritual direction. During this time people usually confessed their sins to the priest and were given absolution. It became so popular, that the Pope made it the norm and we've been living with it ever since.

Jim

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love this post.

I'd like to see Pope Francis put general absolution at the beginning of every Mass after the Kyrie into effect.

The people repent to God and confess their sins privately to Him. Then, the priest gives absolution to the congregation.

This is the way it was done in the early Church for centuries. In fact at one point, the Pope prohibited private confession. It wasn't until the persecution of the Church in Ireland that priests had to set up small rooms on the outside walls of monasteries in order to give spiritual direction. During this time people usually confessed their sins to the priest and were given absolution. It became so popular, that the Pope made it the norm and we've been living with it ever since.

Jim

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Jim
You are confusing two very different things. It used to be that each person individually had to confess their sins out loud in front of everyone. Then later the Church said that we could do it privately instead of being in a situation where everyone in the congregation can know your sins. I think that was a very good thing since you don't have to tell your sins to everyone. That's not like the new idea of a priest simply telling an entire congregation that their sins are absolved when none of them actually confessed their sins. A general absolution like this is reasonable in emergency situations, but if it were made the norm it would effectively eliminate the Sacrament of Penance which Jesus gave to the Church. Scripture says that a false prophet is someone who says, "Thus says the Lord" when the Lord has not spoken. So if a Pope were to ever say that this sacrament or another is no longer needed he would be going against Christ and would therefore be a false prophet, and I would not follow him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Aw! :confused: Interesting.

You are confusing two very different things. It used to be that each person individually had to confess their sins out loud in front of everyone. Then later the Church said that we could do it privately instead of being in a situation where everyone in the congregation can know your sins. I think that was a very good thing since you don't have to tell your sins to everyone. That's not like the new idea of a priest simply telling an entire congregation that their sins are absolved when none of them actually confessed their sins. A general absolution like this is reasonable in emergency situations, but if it were made the norm it would effectively eliminate the Sacrament of Penance which Jesus gave to the Church. Scripture says that a false prophet is someone who says, "Thus says the Lord" when the Lord has not spoken. So if a Pope were to ever say that this sacrament or another is no longer needed he would be going against Christ and would therefore be a false prophet, and I would not follow him.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You are confusing two very different things. It used to be that each person individually had to confess their sins out loud in front of everyone. .

True, but there were only three sins which had to be confessed out loud in front of the congregation.

If memory serves me right, apostasy, murder and theft. Other sins like adultery did not have to be confessed publicly.

But even then, it was not always done and absolution was given to the entire congregation.

Private confessions at that time where absolutely prohibited by the Pope.

It wasn't for centuries until private confession came about, and it originally was for spiritual guidance.

In the past hundred years or more, confession has digressed into mostly the a penitent rattling off a list of sins and the priest giving a penance of prayers which was pretty much the same for every person, then absolution.

Even my last pastor, he gave no spiritual direction, just two Our Fathers and absolution. Everyone I know, got the same penance.

As it is, the majority of Catholics don't go to Confession, but they receive Holy Communion anyway.

Making general absolution at the penitential right at Mass, helps to assure the individuals are not in a state of sin when they receive Holy Communion, which is a sin in of itself, but few know it.

Jim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,939.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
[Jesus] said to them again,l “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”* And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them,m “Receive the holy Spirit.*n Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.” John 20:21-23

I too have read interesting histories of the Sacrament of Reconciliation (aka "Penance").

Here's an exhaustive history:

It's obvious that it has undergone so many revisions because John 20:23 doesn't contain any specific guidelines. Jesus told the apostles that they could forgive sins in God's name--or withhold forgiveness in God's name. Knowing now what we know about God, and about psychology, we know that God always offers forgiveness, and that withholding forgiveness is not only psychologically unhealthy but unGodly.

I don't see any reason why the form of the sacrament cannot undergo change when deemed appropriate. I am glad that Pope Francis has simplified the process of Reconciliation for women who had abortions--often under duress and in emotional distress. In his speech he also spoke words of comfort and healing to these women.

It is so good to see his kind, pastoral approach to the divorced, LGBT's, and women who have had abortions, which will encourage them to seek reconciliation (even if some recalcitrant fellow "Christians?" balk and don't get with the program).

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Saw this on facebook, on NPR's page. The comments were horrible.
I didn't see it. Were they angry with the Pope for wanting to do this?

I think it's beautiful. I admire this Pope hugely. Not sure about the last one, but John Paul II also seemed to be a wonderful holy man.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I didn't see it. Were they angry with the Pope for wanting to do this?

I think it's beautiful. I admire this Pope hugely. Not sure about the last one, but John Paul II also seemed to be a wonderful holy man.
Yes, they were saying things like "they don't need forgiveness at all, let alone from pedophiles" etc.

And those were the top rated comments.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yes, they were saying things like "they don't need forgiveness at all, let alone from pedophiles" etc.

And those were the top rated comments.
Oh. I thought it might be the other way - that Catholics were angry with the Pope for speaking of forgiveness.

It is true that non-Catholic women may indeed feel that they don't need the Pope's forgiveness, but I don't know how to put this ... there's a lot of unforgiveness in non-Catholic Christianity towards women who have had abortions too, and for the Pope to openly comment about forgiveness is healthy for anyone who is a Christian, surely? I imagine those who are ranting haven't had an abortion, they are just imagining how these women would or should feel.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian

Jim

*gulp*. I agree with Jim. Lol

I agree. I never liked telling my lurid sins to a disinterested 3rd party. I firmly believe that I can privately confess my sins to God and receive forgiveness. It would go a long way with alleviating my disagreement with the church.

I also feel that the scripture clearly supports this.

Upvote 0