Pope encourages breastfeeding in church.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Modesty is dying in America
Aw maybe everyone is worrying more than they need to. I think most women would want to breastfeed and be exposed as little as possible. But the pope's comment means that if a woman does breastfed her child in church, she is not going to get an adverse comment from some members of the congregation because her action is supported by the Pope.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Maybe this makes me uneasy because I am from the People's Republic of Massachusetts. But the whole whip my boob out movement smacks of a liberal agenda.

Exampe: A woman ( activist) from Massachusetts was indignant when she tried to breast feed her child at the desk of a car salesman during negotiations And he took exception.

Sometimes a simple act of breast feeding is really not a simple act breast feeding. It is what is behind it.

Reactions: jerrygab2
Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Modesty is dying in America
Modesty?? Breastfeeding did not shock before the XIX th century and its obsession for purity. Were all these people privated of modesty? Actually, it shocked in my country because it meant the mother was too poor to have a nurse to take care of the child instead of her. Not really what I would call modesty!
You would simply consider the number of paintings with Mary breastfeeding Jesus...
Modesty has truly nothing to do with it. Nobody told my mom she was not modest when she did that with her six children, people actually found it beautiful that she took the time to give a part of her own to her baby, exactly as Mary herself must have did it... They did not even thought it was improper.. But well, we are not in America, so I suppose we don't have the same definition of modesty and purity.

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Modesty?? Breastfeeding did not shock before the XIX th century
Neither did slavery or wife beating. i.e. so? How is what did/didn't shock hundreds of years ago (or more) relevant?

You would simply consider the number of paintings with Mary breastfeeding Jesus...
Also irrelevant. We can't say obviously, but I suspect Mary would not have had a problem using formula in a bottle during Mass if it was available.

Modesty has truly nothing to do with it.
On the contrary, it has everything to do with it.

Nobody told my mom she was not modest when she did that with her six children, people actually found it beautiful that she took the time to give a part of her own to her baby,
Really? People walked up and went "it's beautiful how you whipped out your boob during Mass to feed your child during Mass" - ??

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Don't take the bait. You're on the side of life and love, you have nothing to defend.
It's hardly "bait," but props on the insulting insinuation.

PS breastfeeding IN PUBLIC has nothing to do with being "on the side of life and love." Based on that logic, women who refrain from such things apparently love their children less and care about life less. What a ridiculous assertion.

Upvote 0

jerrygab2

Oct 14, 2016
on a computer
✟30,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Modesty has truly nothing to do with it.

On the contrary, it has everything to do with it.

Exactly. A women does not have to pop out her boob for everyone to see, if she can't find a private place than she should use something to cover up.

The liberalization of society has eroded modesty and common decency to epic proportions

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly. A women does not have to pop out her boob for everyone to see, if she can't find a private place than she should use something to cover up.

The liberalization of society has eroded modesty and common decency to epic proportions
Have you even read this thread?! Lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then why are you protesting something nobody is advocating for? It has been stated repeatedly that this is done discreetly. The Pope advocates it. All is well. Nobody is saying whip them out girls for all to see.

Upvote 0