Pope encourages breastfeeding in church.

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Sounds fun. I might try it. :)
The truly skilled mom can do it in public with just a T-shirt and nothing will show. Until they become Toddlers and all **** breaks loose!

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
milk on their hands? oh no ,this is getting messy now :)
babies are messy. Even if they are not breastfed at church, you get formula on you, and spit up.... And you've been shaking hands all this time.

If you want to be alarmed, be alarmed by the germs that are spread by the common cup. I enjoy the common cup, but I know I've caught many a cold from my practice.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'm having fun with this topic out of interest more than seriousness and urgency. Just the thread title amused me "Pope encourages breastfeeding in Church". How do you encourage breastfeeding exactly?
Images of special Masses. Only breastfeeders need attend! :)
A Breastfeeding Ministry?
There will be an AGM for Breastfeeders after Mass in the Parish Hall.
What about standby breastfeeders, in case the regular breastfeeding Mums need a break? Volunteer breastfeeders to give respite.
I'm wondering now whether my mother switched me to the bottle too soon, given this preoccupation. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,651,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
babies are messy. Even if they are not breastfed at church, you get formula on you, and spit up.... And you've been shaking hands all this time.

If you want to be alarmed, be alarmed by the germs that are spread by the common cup. I enjoy the common cup, but I know I've caught many a cold from my practice.
Agreed.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I suspect shes more concerned for the crying baby disturbing everyone in church, as opposed to your possible discomfort.
Yeah right. If that was true she wouldn't bring junior to church in the first place.

So let's say they have milk on their hands. Have you ever had problems with milk before?
:rolleyes: Yeah that's the same thing.

:barf:

People have some extremely large blinders on about this. How blatantly inconsiderate and inappropriate and absurd. Here's a crazy idea: feed the tyke before or after church. Or God forbid, have someone stay home with him. It's not like he'll get anything out of the service.

At the VERY least, take junior out to some side room (etc etc) to do this. I do know of churches in fact which have rooms precisely for such "new mother" things.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yeah right. If that was true she wouldn't bring junior to church in the first place.

:rolleyes: Yeah that's the same thing.

:barf:

People have some extremely large blinders on about this. How blatantly inconsiderate and inappropriate and absurd. Here's a crazy idea: feed the tyke before or after church. Or God forbid, have someone stay home with him. It's not like he'll get anything out of the service.

At the VERY least, take junior out to some side room (etc etc) to do this. I do know of churches in fact which have rooms precisely for such "new mother" things.
Men can be so overt in their sexuality - yet god forbid the woman uses whats natural for breastfeeding or have menstruation. Then men run for the hills or complain... well as I see it that's their problem not the woman's

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The majority of Catholic women with children I know already did that, I did not even know it was suppose to be forbidden or improper. Nobody ever told them anything (everybody is used to it), people only come and scream to see the baby with the "oooooooooh your baby is so cute!!! Can I hold it???" usual (and the baby crying, terrified of course)!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Men can be so overt in their sexuality
In church? I guess churches in your area are far different than in mine.

This is not about sexuality.

god forbid the woman uses whats natural
Sorry, "it's natural" is not a valid excuse either. Peeing is natural too. Would you be OK with guys bringing a can or bottle into the pew and relieving themselves there? After all, it's natural. Oh if women don't like seeing a man's winky, "that's their problem." But don't worry, he can cover it up so it's discrete. And you don't have to shake his hand.

Sorry, we'll agree to disagree on this one...

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In church? I guess churches in your area are far different than in mine.

This is not about sexuality.

Sorry, "it's natural" is not a valid excuse either. Peeing is natural too. Would you be OK with guys bringing a can or bottle into the pew and relieving themselves there? After all, it's natural. Oh if women don't like seeing a man's winky, "that's their problem." But don't worry, he can cover it up so it's discrete. And you don't have to shake his hand.

Sorry, we'll agree to disagree on this one...
If you think that a woman breastfeeding is as offensive as a man urinating publicly in a church then yes...... sadly we disagree

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm having fun with this topic out of interest more than seriousness and urgency. Just the thread title amused me "Pope encourages breastfeeding in Church". How do you encourage breastfeeding exactly?

Well the old paintings of Madonna Lactans (Mary Nursing) go back to before the 1100's I think. At least 1150 that I can recall off the top of my head. So there are devotions that really could be encouraged.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
If that was true she wouldn't bring junior to church in the first place.
What if she's a single mother on such a limited income that she can't afford more child care for Sunday? Should she just miss Mass and Eucharist?

Upvote 0