United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Bolding mine.

Amusing that so many take literally a verse that literally is not there.

There is no verse that says this!

Amusing how many of the verses most quotes are not there at all, are late additions or are taken out of context so grossly as to be a misquote.

On that last. Scripture says 'For the love of money is the root of all (sorts of) evil'. Not money itself.

Proverbs 13:24 says something like it, but not quite. I think it's just saying that it is best to discipline your children in a broad sense, which I think most parents would agree with. Nothing about spankings, although one could argue that some other verses in Proverbs endorse the practice. Not that you NEED to spank your children, though. I just feel like with my kids it wouldn't be practical.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Proverbs 13:24 says something like it, but not quite. I think it's just saying that it is best to discipline your children in a broad sense, which I think most parents would agree with. Nothing about spankings, although one could argue that some other verses in Proverbs endorse the practice. Not that you NEED to spank your children, though. I just feel like with my kids it wouldn't be practical.

I've met some who take 'Spare the Rod' to mean not being concerned with breaking or wearing out the instrument of chastisement. E.g. beat the children without mercy.

Those holding such a view are monsters in my book.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some parents will honestly look for an excuse to punish their children. I've never heard of anybody interpreting the verses that way, but if somebody does then they ought to go and see a therapist who can help with their sadism so that they'll stop taking it out on their children :eek:

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I've met some who take 'Spare the Rod' to mean not being concerned with breaking or wearing out the instrument of chastisement. E.g. beat the children without mercy.

Those holding such a view are monsters in my book.
I once read that the context + a more direct translation suggests a shepherd's staff, so it's more about guiding someone along a path than beating them. That interpretation makes a lot more sense to me.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I once read that the context + a more direct translation suggests a shepherd's staff, so it's more about guiding someone along a path than beating them.

Yea, there are lots of things where an interpretation completely falls apart when one checks the original languages.

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Some parents will honestly look for an excuse to punish their children. I've never heard of anybody interpreting the verses that way, but if somebody does then they ought to go and see a therapist who can help with their sadism so that they'll stop taking it out on their children :eek:

:thumbsup:

I once read that the context + a more direct translation suggests a shepherd's staff, so it's more about guiding someone along a path than beating them. That interpretation makes a lot more sense to me.

That's the interpretation, I think many Christians were taught. In Sweden, it is illegal, to spank a child, of any age. It's depraved to us, to spank children.

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think a parent MUST spank their child. However I believe it's up to the parent to be a parent and know what their child responds to.

In general a good "whoopin" gets through where other methods fail. Is it 100% effective? No. Should it be off the table 100% NO!

That is where PARENTING comes in. IF nothing gets through to your child and you let them do anything they want so you don't EVER have to resort to spanking without even trying it.... then you are NOT being a good parent. IMO. (I also don't believe using spanking as a solve all is good parenting either BTW)

IF non spanking methods work, more power to you to avoid spanking. Congrats.

However a "whoopin" now and then is NOT a traumatic experience that lasts long into adulthood unless you are excessively sensitive over every little thing from your past. If that's the case, the world is going to eat you alive anyway if being spanked "ruined your life".

For people saying it teaches violence. If it teaches ANYTHING about violence is that sometimes actions have violent consequences. That's a truth of life, whether spanking existed or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can agree to that, to anyone who's afraid that if a child is spanked something will happen. My dad spanked me up until I was 9 or so, and even though I hated it it was somewhat rare since I was obedient anyway (and dad never said anything about spanking being in the bible, it was just a cultural thing). While I might have had some mental issues, none of it ever had to with my dad spanking me.

Upvote 0