we have sinned in thought, word and deed
Jan 21, 2012
Somewhere.
✟18,831.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I was. When my mother found out (years later, during a discussion) she was more than a little angry. But that was due to the manner and reasons rather than the actual process of negative physical consequences as an immediate correction for inappropriate behaviour.

Upvote 0

Woven

All you need is LOVE
Jan 26, 2012
✟17,277.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I was spanked at the thought of possible wrong doing. The ones I deserve didn't bother me. The ones I didn't deserve irritated me to no end. Dad was a bully growing up and his bullying and manipulation didn't end til he died.

I wish I missed him...

:( I'm so sorry that was your experience.

I was spanked. A lot. Most people in South Africa spank their kids. It's the norm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VintageDon

Texan, Minister, TechnoGeek, Foodie :)
Aug 12, 2011
Smyrna, DE
Visit site
✟16,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I dont want to get too serious, but I do not think it is a good parenting practice. Its not necessary to keep the discipline.

Again, not trying to get serious, or side track the thread (NOT a challenge), but I think it's highly based on the child. There was a point that I would have NEVER obeyed without this as a threat. *shrug*

With that said, this would be a serious last resort use for me with my own child, contrary to what studies say about those who are "beat" passing it on as an adult.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Some kids respond differently than others. For me, spanking felt highly demoralizing, and I truly believed that my parents hated me when they did it. They aren't bad people. They meant well and I know that they cared about my well-being, but I believe that it was counterproductive for them to use corporal punishment on me. Logic, guilt trips, and taking away toys are much more effective for the kind of child that I was. Studies that I've read as an adult confirm this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sailor_A

Jun 7, 2011
Earth
✟8,352.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Im in the not spanked camp. I was never hit. I dont want to get too serious, but I do not think it is a good parenting practice. Its not necessary to keep the discipline.

I'd have to say I agree with that. I wish my parents figured it out before I told them :p.

Upvote 0