Poll on whether to allow full discussion of homosexuality in TLT, part deux

Do You Want To Open Up Discussion Of Homosexuality And Same Sex Marriage In The TLT Forum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Any Aussie mods then? I think Paidiske is a trainee now, no?
How many of the mods are American?
I feel like I'm visiting the U.S. here, every time I login.
Not sure about Australians. We have at least two Canadians and I think one UK mod.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it bodes well that I don't recognize the majority of 'yes' votes as active participants in this forum.

I am an active participant of this forum and yet I have no say. Do you, Tad? You are also an active participant of this forum.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am an active participant of this forum and yet I have no say. Do you, Tad? You are also an active participant of this forum.

I am, but I can't in good conscience call my self a liberal theologian.

If I could vote, I'd probably vote 'no', because I see a storm brewing.....

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You aren't Catholic. This is a Catholic forum. If it was a an unaffiliated Christian forum that'd be different.

If you were in RCIA I could let it slide because catechumens are members of the Church. But I've never seen you say that you are seriously considering becoming Catholic. As such, it's not fair to the Catholics who consider this their home forum to allow non Catholics to decide the rules for the forum.

You are certainly welcome to voice your opinion on the subject, however. Maybe you'll sway some people to vote the way you would want.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am, but I can't in good conscience call my self a liberal theologian.

If I could vote, I'd probably vote 'no', because I see a storm brewing.....

As do I, I worry it is the same storm that ended the old TLT. But I do not espouse Liberal/Modernist theology expressed into Catholic Theology so I am not voting.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
I am not voting because I do not fit into what I understand the title Liberal Catholic to mean.

Seems quite a few of us are in the same boat , Anjelica, but at least you appear you understand what Liberal Catholic means .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
LOL Colin. I am actually teaditional but again, as you say,we are all traditional.

Yes , Anjelica , I have said that we are all by nature of being Catholics traditional .

I also said that I would not vote in this poll because of my objection to the forum being labelled "Liberal" .

As a result of some of the posts which have been made on other threads today I have changed my mind .

I have voted "No" to opening up full discussion of homosexuality and same sex marriage at The Lord's Table .

Reactions: Tallguy88
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
For the record Colin I do understand why you don't like the liberal name. And I do understand your arguments that Catholicism cannot be divided in such ways.
I appreciate that , David .

Perhaps , learning from some of the thinkers who are popular on this forum , we ought to put into practice their thinking .

Father Rohr , for example , with his emphasis on "both/and" rather than "either/or" .

In his way of thinking I am more than happy to class myself as both "conservative" and "progressive" in my Catholicism .

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate that , David .

Perhaps , learning from some of the thinkers who are popular on this forum , we ought to put into practice their thinking .

Father Rohr , for example , with his emphasis on "both/and" rather than "either/or" .

In his way of thinking I am more than happy to class myself as both "conservative" and "progressive" in my Catholicism .
+1. I personally identify as a conservative. But given the current dichotomy of the forums, I find myself with more common ground here than with my erstwhile allies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You aren't Catholic. This is a Catholic forum. If it was a an unaffiliated Christian forum that'd be different.
  • Only active members of this forum may vote. A specific faith icon is not required, however, you must be a known member of this forum.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
  • Only active members of this forum may vote. A specific faith icon is not required, however, you must be a known member of this forum.

A faith icon...meaning some Catholics wear ones that are basic Christian rather than Catholic. Active Members. Only Catholics are considered members. So only Catholics can vote.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A faith icon...meaning some Catholics wear ones that are basic Christian rather than Catholic. Active Members. Only Catholics are considered members. So only Catholics can vote.
O...kay...

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
O...kay...

Remember back to when icons determined access to forums? And there were issues when someone wore the general Christian one and interacted in denomination ones. The icon wording stems from that time. There are also multi access forums where members can be of any group. So the icon language gets broadly used, but in forums where there is an affiliation needed for membership a person must be that to be a voting member.

So those who can vote here must be Catholics and identify as such. They can wear a few different icons...off the top of my hear the generic Christian and the Catholic one were the most used. But we do not even have icons anymore...we have the faith name. But some Catholics still list general Christian as their faith.

So that is why the poll phrasing (that is used for all the polls on this issue) is worded like that.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

But it says "Only active members of this forum may vote. A specific faith icon is not required, however, you must be a known member of this forum."

Emphasize mine.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.